RE:Making Endgame Swords Pure Melee

Xylia

Terrarian
So, this post might have some hot takes in it, but I feel this stuff needs said (not sure if this is the right forum to say it but I can't think of anywhere ELSE to say it as they don't really have any forums for 'upcoming update discussion' or what-not, maybe moderators can move it if there is such a forum).

I just saw Chippy's video about making the True Excalibur pure melee and how he talks about how he's glad that swords are getting to be more pure melee, and I saw the video of the True Excalibur and all that, and it certainly looks cool, but then I think about how boss fights work and I go "welp, that's one weapon I will probably never use against most bosses that are not Destroyer".

The problem with this move, is quite simple: every boss in the game does contact damage, and has ludicrously fast movement. The contact damage is no joke, either: even in "Easy" Difficulty (Normal, whatever you want to call it, not Expert or Master), bosses do upwards of 40 damage after armor reduction. When you only have 500 health, that 40 damage adds up fast.

Pretty much every boss in the game that's not Destroyer or Golem ends up being a Schmup-type fight, where you use your wings, boots, or flying mount to fly away from the boss, usually in circles, trying to dodge its projectiles while trying to prevent it from touching you, and a lot of bosses have the contact damage being the strongest attack the boss has (or 2nd strongest, Moon Lord for example). Trying to get close enough to melee, even with the reach of the new True Excalibur, is rather risky business because of the absurd contact damage pretty much every hardmode boss does.

The only way that we can fix this is...

1). Don't use melee weapons at all (which means these Endgame Swords that are moved to being pure melee will be simply not used much at all)
2). Change how bosses work (unlikely to happen unless they really wanna fix things)

With #2.... instead of the default (and usually one of the strongest) attacks being "I kill you by touching you", they could have actual attacks, like swinging things at you (which could simply be treated as close-range projectiles but yet sprited to look like it's part of the boss's body moving instead) or at least, close range projectile attacks that can be dodged if you know the pattern and/or are good at moving.

I get that there are limitations on what they can do with the game's engine, but it's just that most bosses being zip zip zip everywhere and trying to get ontop of you constantly to touch you, it makes pure melee very difficult to do properly. Too much risk for too little reward.

I suppose there is a 3). Jack the DPS of pure melee up (to fix the risk vs reward disparity), but that sounds like that'd cause more problems than it would solve, such as magic and ranged complaining that they don't do anywhere near as much damage.

I don't know.

I just finished watching Chippy's video too, and I don't believe the swords are true true melee as they are leading us to believe.
Call me crazy, but I'm fairly sure the swords are going to leave arcs as to where the player was.I could be completely wrong, however.

Regardless, you bring up some good points. Swords feels lacking without projectiles, and the bosses are going to be a major pain in the neck.

I'm not gonna lie, getting close to bosses in this game is almost always a terrible idea, especially when the higher difficulties are involved. There's a reason everyone ignores the keybrand for example. If they go through with this for most melee weapons, it's gonna be back to 1.1 where melee players had little choice but to switch to megashark for the mechs....

Most of the 1.4.4 spoilers looked good to me until this one. I'm really not a fan of taking away projectiles at all.... in fact, if this is done to the terra blade I'm just gonna keep playing 1.4.3 with the GOG version as that would be a deal breaker to me.

I suppose there is a 3). Jack the DPS of pure melee up (to fix the risk vs reward disparity), but that sounds like that'd cause more problems than it would solve, such as magic and ranged complaining that they don't do anywhere near as much damage.
The real problem is that it would buff facetanking significantly. Even on Master Mode, Melee facetanking is the most overpowered strategy against the majority of the bosses.

it's gonna be back to 1.1 where melee players had little choice but to switch to megashark for the mechs....
Well, I mean, we still have Yo-Yos at least, but... given the terrible drop rate of Amarok lately (maybe just my incidental post-1.4 luck), eh.

But then, Terra Blade was still insanely good against the Cultist for example, and it was the best Pre-Solar Eruption thing to use on Solar Eclipse and such.

So if they take our Terra Blade away then it's just gonna be Yo-yos until the Solar Eruption and you'll just have to carry another weapon to deal with the dark wyverns the cultist summons if you allowed him to summon any.

Once you get the Solar Eruption and the Daybreak then you're back to your old Pre-1.4 shenanigans until you get the Zenith.

But then, Terra Blade was still insanely good against the Cultist for example, and it was the best Pre-Solar Eruption thing to use on Solar Eclipse and such.

So if they take our Terra Blade away then it's just gonna be Yo-yos until the Solar Eruption and you'll just have to carry another weapon to deal with the dark wyverns the cultist summons if you allowed him to summon any.

It's not just the cultist, something else becomes available right after golem: Tier 3 of Old One's Army. I can't think of any melee weapons that can perform as well as the Terra Blade for this event in master mode, at the time it becomes available. I'm really hoping they're not going on a sweep to remove all projectiles from all melee weapons or something...

I'm just glad GOG exists so the update won't be mandatory, that's where I'm at -_-

I wonder if a possible solution might be to have melee armor sets give you extra health capacity, in the same way that magic armor grants extra mana. If melee characters have more health than other classes, then they're able to take a few more hits than other classes, making it less risky for them to fight up close to bosses.

I wonder if a possible solution might be to have melee armor sets give you extra health capacity, in the same way that magic armor grants extra mana. If melee characters have more health than other classes, then they're able to take a few more hits than other classes, making it less risky for them to fight up close to bosses.

eh, not really to be honest.

I mean even if you did something like have a melee have an extra +100, that's 600 where everybody else has 500... that would last you all of 2 hits more than it would otherwise take to kill you. 2 measly hits.

The problem is that contact damage is just too stinking high.

Well for melee I would have 2 wishes. Some sort of ability that let you ignore contact dmg for about 3 seconds with 10 seconds cooldown, and grapling hook that can grap you into the boss body, or grap smaller enemies to you... GET OVER HERE!!

Well for melee I would have 2 wishes. Some sort of ability that let you ignore contact dmg for about 3 seconds with 10 seconds cooldown, and grapling hook that can grap you into the boss body, or grap smaller enemies to you... GET OVER HERE!!
I love both of these ideas
Maybe an ability that the sword or armor grants that makes you take half damage while swinging a true melee weapon

A parrying/blocking system for certain or all melee weapons can be used as a solution. The blocking and parrying of attacks are common moves to make during close-combat.

When a player uses a sword-type or other extremely close-ranged melee weapon against an enemy, each attack from the enemy has a certain chance to deal moderately or significantly less damage than usual depending on the weapon itself, kind of like how every weapon has a certain critical strike chance.

Why don't we make it so blocking reduces ALL the damage from the enemy? The system COULD be implemented in a way that during a successful block, the enemy could deal no damage at all. It's better to make it so a block only deals less damage; otherwise, the system would just be another form of dodging.

One problem with this system is that it encourages facetanking and possibly other cheesing strategies, and I can't do anything to stop that.

Another problem is that since the code Terraria was built on is starting to face limitations, a blocking system might very well be biting off more than the devs can chew. A feature like this will have a higher chance being implemented in Terraria 2 than in 1.4.4.

Yea this is another thing that worries me about upcoming update to the point that i am legit preparing for a possible version rollback on my end.

A parrying/blocking system for certain or all melee weapons can be used as a solution.

Please, No.

I hate timed blocking systems.

The One-and-Only game that ever did that right and even then I find it to sometimes screw me when it doesn't work is Dust: An Elysian Tail.

I tend to hate timed button presses because they are so unreliable for me, whether it's "hit button at frame-perfect precision" or "double-tap to dash" (especially if it is required to do stuff like those Awful, Awful dash jumps in Ys6: Ark of Naphistim).

RE:Rest of what you said:

They could make a hidden timer, maybe it's like a 1-1.5 second timer that when you swing, you take half-damage from contact damage (but not projectiles), but this still makes things risky that the boss could be hitting you in-between swings and you might not even know it (and/or you'd just keep swinging since most hardmode melee weapons are auto-swing).

Maybe they could make it so that you take half damage from contact damage if you're holding a pure melee weapon in your current hotkey slot (but take full damage from projectiles as normal) but this might make more people do facetanking, but then I always thought that Terraria was not really a game balanced around multiplayer anyhow and staying at that close range puts you in danger from its normal projectile attacks anyhow; projectiles are harder to dodge when you're closer to the point of origination unless you're lucky enough to be moving at the right angle at the time it was fired.

Yea this is another thing that worries me about upcoming update to the point that i am legit preparing for a possible version rollback on my end.

That, and/or tModLoader.

I'm sure that this will annoy some modder out there who will mod the older versions of the weapons back in if this isn't implemented well enough.

Last edited:
I don't know where this "true melee" thing spawned from but I didn't hear people clamouring for it until a few years ago. All melee weapons are "true melee" anyway. Melee weapons are characterised by the weapon itself being able to do damage (so the blade of a sword, for example), not lacking projectiles; this is why magic and ranged classes don't smack the enemy over the head with their spell books or guns, and rely exclusively on what is instead spawned from their use. Essentially, melee weapons are defined by what they possess, not what they lack. A weapon can have both a melee/close-range component in the form of the actual frame of the weapon, and an external long-range attack that can stack with it. That's why you can either just use the projectile for enemies where it's borderline suicidal to get close to them, or use both the weapon hitbox and the projectile to accentuate the damage if an opportunity represents itself.

Terraria's gameplay mechanics are antipodal to the idea of a class consisting of nothing but close-range combat. This is a game with collision damage where the enemies actively capitalise on it, fast bosses, very little (if any) telegraphing, and a focus on movement and orientation. I can't say I'm a fan of removing the projectile from melee weapons that already have it, instead of just making existing projectileless melee (or "true melee", whatever that means) weapons actually useable. Additionally, if the supposed solution to make projectileless melee viable is to make the weapon behemothic to the point of taking up the entire screen, or having a ludicrously huge swinging arc that more or less encompasses 270 degree coverage — then the concept would be basically the same as projectile melee anyway.

I feel like this was incentivised by a few select mod authors and their audiences, in which there was a certain narrative that gained traction, and then it snowballed into influencing others, even if said narrative wasn't necessarily accurate.

I think it is definitely a risky move because these swords are absolutely carried by their projectiles but I think it is good because having a melee class that relies on projectiles is kinda back asswards. I don't think it's fair to make a judgement yet considering how little we have seen though.

I think it is definitely a risky move because these swords are absolutely carried by their projectiles but I think it is good because having a melee class that relies on projectiles is kinda back asswards. I don't think it's fair to make a judgement yet considering how little we have seen though.

I am definitely willing to wait and give them a chance, I'm just voicing my concerns ahead of time in hopes the team would see the feedback and take it into consideration while they are still in the design phase, rather than complaining after the patch has already gone live.

Should just give those swords displaced-hitboxes and iFrames

Swing sword - Dash forward while swinging, dash back after.

So, this post might have some hot takes in it, but I feel this stuff needs said (not sure if this is the right forum to say it but I can't think of anywhere ELSE to say it as they don't really have any forums for 'upcoming update discussion' or what-not, maybe moderators can move it if there is such a forum).

I just saw Chippy's video about making the True Excalibur pure melee and how he talks about how he's glad that swords are getting to be more pure melee, and I saw the video of the True Excalibur and all that, and it certainly looks cool, but then I think about how boss fights work and I go "welp, that's one weapon I will probably never use against most bosses that are not Destroyer".

The problem with this move, is quite simple: every boss in the game does contact damage, and has ludicrously fast movement. The contact damage is no joke, either: even in "Easy" Difficulty (Normal, whatever you want to call it, not Expert or Master), bosses do upwards of 40 damage after armor reduction. When you only have 500 health, that 40 damage adds up fast.

Pretty much every boss in the game that's not Destroyer or Golem ends up being a Schmup-type fight, where you use your wings, boots, or flying mount to fly away from the boss, usually in circles, trying to dodge its projectiles while trying to prevent it from touching you, and a lot of bosses have the contact damage being the strongest attack the boss has (or 2nd strongest, Moon Lord for example). Trying to get close enough to melee, even with the reach of the new True Excalibur, is rather risky business because of the absurd contact damage pretty much every hardmode boss does.

The only way that we can fix this is...

1). Don't use melee weapons at all (which means these Endgame Swords that are moved to being pure melee will be simply not used much at all)
2). Change how bosses work (unlikely to happen unless they really wanna fix things)

With #2.... instead of the default (and usually one of the strongest) attacks being "I kill you by touching you", they could have actual attacks, like swinging things at you (which could simply be treated as close-range projectiles but yet sprited to look like it's part of the boss's body moving instead) or at least, close range projectile attacks that can be dodged if you know the pattern and/or are good at moving.

I get that there are limitations on what they can do with the game's engine, but it's just that most bosses being zip zip zip everywhere and trying to get ontop of you constantly to touch you, it makes pure melee very difficult to do properly. Too much risk for too little reward.

Having to get close to the boss to get damage off is what melee is, and is your retribution for having such high defense, besides if you want projectiles, you should go with ranger or mage. Melee should be high damage, high defense, no range.

Having to get close to the boss to get damage off is what melee is, and is your retribution for having such high defense, besides if you want projectiles, you should go with ranger or mage. Melee should be high damage, high defense, no range.

You completely missed the point.

Yes, you have higher defense, but you are also put at much higher risk with little to no payoff for such risk. As a melee, your armor has less +damage modifiers (in exchange for higher defense), so you tend to do slightly less damage than those using ranged or magic.

Unlike ranged or magic, you are put at more risk by being so close to the bosses, which means you will take more damage (you will get hit more often, with more devastating attacks). This is mitigated (somewhat...) by higher defense, but again...

If you're doing less damage, and your higher defense is negated by taking more damage... where's the payoff? If you're a ranged or a magic user, you have less defense, but you do more damage which is the payoff.

More risk should equal more reward, but it doesn't.

Projectiles were given to melee weapons because pure melee doesn't work on bosses. I mean, try it yourself, get a Keybrand and go fight the mechs, or Plantera. It's not very fun, is it? Of course not. The bosses move about as fast as you can, and the damage you take is rather ludicrous.

True melee is and always was a very poor choice in this game.
The more you progress the more obsolete "true melee" weapons become due to how combat works in this game.
Especially vs Bosses and ESPECIALLY vs almost Everything on higher difficulties it gets ridiculous and no amount of "Defense" will help you counter this on said difficulties. Where difference between highest defense and no defense is just 1-2 extra hits that you can survive.

People who say otherwise don't know what they are talking about or ever played anything other than "Normal" difficulty and usually lie that they did.
Without complete Terraria combat rework making true melee viable is not possible.

It has to resort to projectiles one way or another so i hope Re-Logic know what they are doing with these upcoming melee changes.. and that it won't result in a widespread nerf for the Melee class.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom