Items Rebalancing all Ammo types in the game, making each thing at least useful.

J Bame

Terrarian
So, by now I'm pretty sure almost every player has done a Ranger run. And I'm also pretty sure you've all at least noticed just how rigid and limited your ammo selection is throughout a run.

When using Bows for example, you may have as many as 13 (technically 14, but Luminite isn't part of a run) different Arrow types to choose from, yet you will rarely find yourself using more than 3 (pretty much Jester's, Ichor and Holy) the entire run, with two that you could try but are simply outclassed (Hellfire, Venom). And with Bullets it's even worse, since only two out of 13 (Crystal, Chlorophyte) can be considered any good, with only one (Exploding) that is situationally useful.

And this problem of scarce ammo diversity is caused by two problems:
  • Most ammo types that I consider "viable" are also pretty much broken and incredibly versatile. For example, even if there are many alternatives to Jester's Arrows and Crystal bullets at their point of progression, almost everything is already done extremely well by just those two, so you will rarely have to bother using any other ammo.
  • A lot of ammo is pretty much a mass of stats with no secondary effect, or with one that is so irrelevant that it might as well not exist (Looking at you, Cursed Ammo). Therefore if you solve the above problem by nerfing the broken ammo types, the ammo selection will end up being even more rigid than before since almost every choice work the same and the few that do have a somewhat significant effect will be the only ones you'll ever use.
And those two reasons above is why I'm proposing here a rework of how ammo is balanced, changing many stats and adding a few abilities so all Bullets and Arrows are considerable.

Before starting note that the numbers here are rough; I did mod a few of these changes in to see how they'd work, but 1-2 hours of "seeing how good this is now" is not solid playtesting so don't take the proposed stats too seriously, instead consider them more like "increased x greatly; decreased y a bit, etc"

With that out of the way, let's get to the changes already.

Arrows:
1578828687948.png
Flaming Arrows:
+ Knockback increased to 5 from 2
+ Velocity increased to 5 from 3.5

Outclassed in literally every way by the much better Frostburn arrows that have the same recipe with just one block added to the mix. With these buffs the comparison between the two is a lot like Amarok/Hel-Fire, where one simply deals more damage, while the other has better secondary stats.

1578828673257.png
Bone Arrows:
+ extraUpdates increased to 1
+ Damage increased to 7 from 6

Consistency with Marrow's arrows. You may still prefer Flaming Arrows with their new buff at this stage in the game, but at least it's not a complete ripoff anymore.

1578828695502.png
Jester's Arrows:
- Knockback decreased to 0 from 4
/ Now crafted in stacks of 50 instead of 20.

Because currently these arrows deny all enemy crowds a bit too well compared to other things in Pre-Hardmode. Making the base knockback non-existent makes them not outclass everything anymore. Also please, don't make me spend a lot of time in my Ranger runs farming Stars for these.

1578828702134.png
Unholy Arrows:
+ Knockback increased to 6.5 from 3
/ Now crafted in stacks of 20 instead of 5
/ Can now crafted with Vertebrae as well as Worm Teeth

This arrow suffers because Jester's Arrows are a thing and they have significantly better crowd control due to their infinite range and piercing, despite dealing a bit less damage.

Increasing their Knockback makes them much more comparable when dealing with crowds: One is better at simply damaging the entire crowd, while the other keeps enemies away from you more efficiently.

Let's also change the recipe, crafting these 5 at the time is dumb with how rare those Worms are, and limiting the recipe to Corruption worlds is even dumber.

1578828716404.png
Hellfire Arrows:
+ Damage increased to 14 from 13
+ Explosions no longer make Iframes.
+ Now explodes when making contact with enemies it can't hurt.

In a vacuum this arrow is good because it has good single target damage and decent crowd control, as well as great velocity and amazing knockback. In practice this arrow is never used because Jester's or just Unholy do everything it could be useful for much better in PreHardmode, while there are better single target arrows to be using in Hardmode. I'm giving them just a bit more damage to compare to them better, as well as two other small changes:

The first one, removing Iframes to make them usable as a crowd control Arrow with Multishot bows, and the second, which may sound like the most specific and insignificant change in history but it's incredibly important as Selenians will be hurt by the explosions without reflecting the arrows, making Ranger no longer get unfairly hard-countered by the Solar Pillar.

1578828736975.png
Holy Arrows:
- Star spawning now has a cooldown equal to the Bow's Use Time

Already infamous for being incredibly strong with certain bows. That nerf changes nothing when used with a conventional bow, but it kills the broken combo these Arrows have with multishot bows by not making it spawn dozens of Stars on hit anymore, because let's be real, that's why these arrows are so powerful right now.

1578828744634.png
Cursed Arrows:
+ extraUpdates increased to 1

The extraUpdates of Ichor Arrows is the reason they are used as more than just a sidearm to inflict Ichor. Giving Cursed Arrows the same treatment should help them in the same way, since just having good damage wasn't cutting it due to the lack of any good secondary effect.

An alternative would be to make Cursed Inferno an actually impactful debuff, but that's not enough if you want to make them good arrows on their own. That's also something I won't touch since it has been suggested dozens of times already and the solution is always as simple as just making them deal % based damage like they did on Mobile.

1578828752891.png
Chlorophyte Arrows:
+ No longer makes Iframes on hit.

The piercing ammo most infamous for becoming available at the stage of the game where all good Bows go multishot and thus being completely useless. Removing those iframes it creates is the buff this has needed since 1.2 made them exist.

1578828760788.png
Venom Arrows:
+ Damage increased to 20 from 17
+ Knockback increased to 7.6 from 4.2

Currently holds the title of highest damaging arrow in the game, not that it means anything since other arrows (most notably Ichor) are almost always better. A massive Knockback increase as well as even better damage will make you want to use these a bit more during the Pillars and general enemy encounters.

This might be a bit excessive if Venom becomes a good debuff.

Bullets:
1578828597997.png
Silver Bullet
+ Increases total damage dealt by 33% against "Evil" enemies

Evil enemies include all different variants of Zombies and Skeletons (Not Skeletron), Demons, Werewolves (Should one shot them tbh), enemies from the Corruption and Crimson, and the Hungries from Wall of Flesh (Not the Wall itself).

Pre-Hardmode has practically 0 bullet variety, so this is currently the best you can get for your Guns early on. Any other bullet that gets added to Pre-Hardmode would greatly outclass this, so it needs a little buff. It's only fitting to make it a Silver Bullet for some enemies, right?

1578828579546.png
Meteor shots:
+ No longer pierces. [Funny how this is a massive buff]
+ Now bounces thrice instead of once.
+ Can bounce off of enemies as well as tiles.

- Damage decreased to 6 from 9.

What this bullet truly needed all along is a good gun that doesn't fire extremely fast and also isn't a Shotgun. The only thing that fits that criteria is Phoenix Blaster, but that's just one gun and it doesn't look like there are more coming so this bullet ends up being worse than the regular Musket Balls all the time.

I don't want to keep these useless until they meet the one gun that makes them work, so I gave it a big rework that makes it actually usable with all guns in the game, turning it a bullet with a very powerful bounce mechanic that can potentially be devastating in the right area.

1578828570686.png
Party Bullets:
+ Now Crafted with Musket Balls instead of Empty Bullets.

That change to the recipe is huge since this makes Party Bullets with all their great stats available in Pre-Hardmode, as well as giving Party Girl a bit of a bigger role in progression. This bullet was never meant to be good, but now it is.

1578828561885.png
Crystal Bullets:
- Now Split into two shards instead of three.

A lot of Hardmode Bullets are held back by the fact that this one outclasses them all and I believe that these are borderline broken, but they just don't have any good partners in the Late game since everything has a spread. This is a big nerf to their damage, but they might still be really good since Ichor is a thing.

1578828552259.png
Cursed Bullets:
+ Now pierce three enemies, without making Iframes.

We need at least one piercing bullet in the game. No better subject for that buff than the Bullet type that is awful to begin with and could definitely use a very big buff like that.

1578859530346.png
Exploding Bullets:
+ Now explodes when making contact with enemies it can't hurt.

Surprisingly enough this is one of the few things that don't need any changes. Just the same specific anti-Selenian buff that Hellfire Arrows also got.

1578828618628.png
High Velocity Bullets:
+ Damage increased to 15 from 10

Nothing beats the redundancy of making this just ridiculously fast and nothing else when it's already part of the stuff that has the overall highest velocity in the game. Making it deal much more damage makes it way less niche and actually comparable to Chlorophyte Bullets for the "accurate bullets".

1578828625206.png
Nano Bullets:
+ Damage increased to 13 from 10
+ Can now pierce two enemies
+ Knockback increased to 6 from 3.6

There are not enough places in Post-Plantera where there are too many dangerous enemies vulnerable to Confused to make use of these things. The stat buffs and most importantly the piercing should hopefully make this way better for enemies, keeping the confused as more of a secondary thing that could be helpful.

Another interesting change would be to make Cyborg available in Early Hardmode so the Confused has more places to shine, but that's a story for another time.

1578828635652.png
Venom Bullets:
+ Damage increased to 19 from 14
+ Knockback increased to 6 from 4.1

Venom Ammo's theme seems to be overstats at the cost of any special effects, except that neither one has good enough stats that compensate for the lack of effects. Let's fix that. These will probably replace Crystal Bullets as your single target bullet in the late game.

1578828644428.png
Chlorophyte Bullets:
- Knockback decreased to 0 from 4.5

Much like Jester's Arrows, these make enemy encounters a bit too easy so they deserve to be toned down a bit like this. This bullet is overrated

Changes somewhat related to the topic:
1578828866972.png
Shroomite Helmet:
+ Now increases "varied ranged damage" [Basically anything that isn't a Gun or a Bow] instead of just Rocket damage.

The amount of good Rocket Launchers in the game can be counted in one hand, they are not even close to being fleshed out enough to be considered their own little "subclass". Now this Helmet hits Elf Melter and Piranha Gun (because the game doesn't consider it a gun even though it's literally in the name), as well as whatever new unique Ranged Weapons might be added.

1578828963628.png
Ice Arrows (
1578828987869.png
Ice Bow)
+ Now leave a trail of Snowflakes in its path, like North Pole
+ Reduced extraUpdates to 0 from 1 [yes, that's a buff in this case]

Ice Bow is a contender for the title of "Most forgettable weapon in the game" due to having no attracting qualities, being rather rare and having no reason to be looked for due to being worse than even the Mythril Repeater. This buff (alongside giving the main Bow autoswing) hopefully makes it a good weapon.

1578828934930.png
Bone Arrows (
1578828943821.png
Marrow)
+ Now split on three bone shards on impact, much like Crystal Bullets

Everything I said about Ice Bow applies to this weapon as well. These two bows are almost literal clones.

1578829015737.png
Magic Quiver
- Now increases velocity of arrows by +30% instead of setting their extraUpdates to 1.
+ Increased damage buff to 11% from 10% [No, this is not significant or meant to change anything. 11% feels better than 10% and that's the only justification for this]

Since we are in the topic of buffing ammo, I'd want to also change the item that removes most of the niche the really fast single target arrows have by giving it to every single arrow.

Last edited:
I was extremely confused at first since you did it in the format of "Increased to y from x" as my brain autocorrect it to "Increased from x to y"

Besides that I agree with most of the things here, but a couple tweaks imo. I'd just suggest the High Velocity Bullets have the ability to pierce through two enemies per shot...because high velocity, and for Chlorophyte Bullets to get a damage reduction.

Thank you also for including Marrow/Ice Bow <3 I love Marrow especially but never was able to get much use out of it...a shame really.

A real shame how you pointed out how Nano Bullets are worthless because debuffs are so pointless in this game...why are most enemies even immune to status if they do nothing anyways?

I'm willing to say that it's less that the other ammo types are bad - far from it, they're all great - it's just that with how old the game is, it is effectively a "solved" meta, and many of us have optimized the "fun" out of the game, so to say.

I do admit though that I really like your approach to Holy Arrows - it allows the arrow to keep its identity while toning down it's sheer nonsensical dominance once Shotbows come into play.

Perhaps Nanite Bullets would be better to use if those were a piercing bullet? Confusion is actually an incredibly powerful status effect; it's main problem is that in this game the most effective source of crowd control is killing your enemies, but if it was capable of piercing through and confusing multiple enemies at once then they could justify their late-game introduction point and would show up just in time for the Dungeon to introduce a lot of Fighter-type enemies you really do not want to be in melee range of.

I have no real opinions regarding this theoretical Crystal Bullet vs theoretical Venom Bullet since Venoms will see use on small targets while Crystals will see use on large ones so I can't see their relationship changing.

I'd just suggest the High Velocity Bullets have the ability to pierce through two enemies per shot...because high velocity, and for Chlorophyte Bullets to get a damage reduction.

Pierce instead of damage on High Velocity does makes sense but I'd rather save that for Cursed Bullets, I don't want to just overstat those like I did with Venom. My version of the High Velocity Bullet is meant to be incredibly accurate, but with no significant DPS or crowd control, while Cursed Bullets are understatted but they have pierce (which is a very powerful property when iframes aren't an issue).

A damage reduction is not what the Chloro ones needs. It would only nerf them for bossing (where they are already not the optimal choice unless it's ML phase 2), while they would still trivialize the Pillars because of how easily it can stunlock the entire screen, and lower DPS doesn't change that unless you want to go super low and gut the bullet's damage.

Perhaps Nanite Bullets would be better to use if those were a piercing bullet? Confusion is actually an incredibly powerful status effect; it's main problem is that in this game the most effective source of crowd control is killing your enemies, but if it was capable of piercing through and confusing multiple enemies at once then they could justify their late-game introduction point and would show up just in time for the Dungeon to introduce a lot of Fighter-type enemies you really do not want to be in melee range of.

... why didn't I think of that. That's so much simpler than making it a ridiculously fast mess.

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel that making the chloro bullets do no knock back is actually a buff. Considering that the only time I use mine are against aerial enemies or bosses. Aerial anemia’s are harder to hit when they get knocked back, and sometimes my other bullets miss because of it. And the bosses already have 100% knock back immunity (I’ve used the term too much, haven’t I?) it isn’t that big of a deal.

Honestly, I feel that making the chloro bullets do no knock back is actually a buff. Considering that the only time I use mine are against aerial enemies or bosses. Aerial anemia’s are harder to hit when they get knocked back, and sometimes my other bullets miss because of it. And the bosses already have 100% knock back immunity (I’ve used the term too much, haven’t I?) it isn’t that big of a deal.

Using Chlorophyte Bullets with a rapid fire weapon allows you to pretty much keep the entire screen stunlocked and away from you with very little effort required. Removing their knockback makes it way weaker at screen-controlling and doesn't make it trivialize Pillars anymore. I'm not too sure what aerial enemies you fight that removing the knockback would end up giving it a buff.

Chlorophyte bullets are already just decent for bosses so they don't need a nerf in that area.

Using Chlorophyte Bullets with a rapid fire weapon allows you to pretty much keep the entire screen stunlocked and away from you with very little effort required. Removing their knockback makes it way weaker at screen-controlling and doesn't make it trivialize Pillars anymore. I'm not too sure what aerial enemies you fight that removing the knockback would end up giving it a buff.

Chlorophyte bullets are already just decent for bosses so they don't need a nerf in that area.

I hadn’t realized most of this yet. The farthest I’ve gotten in game was post golem on the old gen consoles, so most of this is new information to me. Thanks!

All of these seem fair and balanced and would be a welcome change.
Silver bullets should also be craftable with tungsten, or perhaps there could be tungsten bullets which do.... something.

I'm willing to say that it's less that the other ammo types are bad - far from it, they're all great - it's just that with how old the game is, it is effectively a "solved" meta, and many of us have optimized the "fun" out of the game, so to say.
It usually takes short time to realise what different ammo types have to offer. Being outclassed in most aspects by something obtained much earlier is not a good design pattern to begin with.

Some thoughts on the topic.

Flaming/Frostburn/Cursed/Venom arrow
DoT debuffs is just a different topic to speak about. Currently, only frostburn arrows inflict a debuff with a significant impact for the time they are available. Surprisingly enough, the farther you get in game progression, the weaker debuff you have ability to apply (Frostburn > Cursed Inferno > Venom).

Bone arrow
Can't say how much useful arrow would be with double velocity (is it what adding 1 extraUpdate does?). Considering its relative rarity, adding an ability to pierce 1 enemy won't hurt. That will remove both "complete" and "ripoff" words from their description.

Jester's arrow
Jester's arrows seem balanced by their availability. And their small crafting output is actually a for balancing reasons: if you want those super-penetrative arrows that early in the game in considerable amounts, please invest your time in tedious farming.

Unholy arrow
As they are inferior to Jester's arrows they should be more available, even before defeating Eater/Brain. Proposed recipe for Crimson world would suffice, but both recipes output sould be somewhere around 50.

Hellfire arrow
They are nice as they are. Proposed changes are insignificant though wouldn't hurt.

Holy arrow
Holy mother of Moon Lord. Can't imagine any better way to nerf their monstrous multiplicative synergy with multi-shot bows while not impeding neither of them. That's how this ammo should be nerfed in 1.4. Hope for the best... expect the worst. I think they will simply reduce star damage to 50% or will make only one star to fall.

Chlorophyte arrow
Nice addition, especially considering their piercing abilities are outclassed by pre-HM arrows.

Silver bullet
Another cool idea. Appealing both aesthetically and in gameplay. However it would be a nightmare to iterate over all Terraria enemies and assign them a new "evil" property to make them work properly with a single type of bullet.

Meteor shots
You removed piercing but added bouncing off of enemies. Is it how crystal darts behave but without homing? Isn't such bouncing treated as piercing as well?

Exploding bullet
Maybe remove self-induced damage, please?

Chlorophyte bullet
Again, availability argument applies. I, personally, never craft them since 6 ore per bar which gives only 70 bullets is just freaking expensive to waste on. It maybe just me, though.

Awesome generalisation for shroomite helmet. The idea of giving a unique behaviour to marrow and ice bow is very appealing as well.
I have somewhat unpopular attitude towards automatic reuse: all weapons should have it, if it has any sense. This is nothing more than a QoL. Adding this to marrow and ice bow is definitely a step in the right direction.

Jester's arrow
Jester's arrows seem balanced by their availability. And their small crafting output is actually a for balancing reasons: if you want those super-penetrative arrows that early in the game in considerable amounts, please invest your time in tedious farming.

Chlorophyte bullet
Again, availability argument applies. I, personally, never craft them since 6 ore per bar which gives only 70 bullets is just freaking expensive to waste on. It maybe just me, though.

Probably just you, collecting 40 stars or mining 30 Chlorophyte Bars doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes in total. Outside of the very early game, Jester's Arrows are very easy to get for how much they can do.

Meteor shots
You removed piercing but added bouncing off of enemies. Is it how crystal darts behave but without homing? Isn't such bouncing treated as piercing as well?

Actually, I think that's true. But making that bounce ignore Iframes shouldn't be so hard.

Silver bullet
Another cool idea. Appealing both aesthetically and in gameplay. However it would be a nightmare to iterate over all Terraria enemies and assign them a new "evil" property to make them work properly with a single type of bullet.

Again, this shouldn't be so hard. You already have the Wiki to see what Enemy ID equals what, and just adding a "this.evil = true" to all Skeletons doesn't sound like it would take more than an hour.

In fact in my mod I already implemented this idea and i simply made the projectile do more damage to a target if that target is one of the "evil" enemies I listed.

Back
Top Bottom