Map-Adventure Red's Legacy (Calamity based map) WIP

hithere1431

Terrarian
I don't know how many of you have played The Story of Red Cloud by Tim Hjersted, but to me, it as one of the best gaming memories I had when I was younger. The story, structure, and flow of TSORC were the best I've ever seen as a kid and so I want to continue that today. Over the past few weeks, I've been planning and theorizing about this map, as well as starting to build a few of the areas, and this thread will show my progress so far. Red's Legacy will be a sequel to TSORC revolving around the Calamity mod. I plan to integrate (almost) all content from Calamity and so this will be a very big project for me. As of writing this forum thread, I honestly can not give an accurate prediction of when the map will be finished. I would say at the very least a year, but it can very well take longer. I am not planning on sticking to a strict time limit because I want to prioritize the quality of this map over rushing it out sooner. Below, I will go into further details around certain areas (if you have any questions or suggestions, there's a discord link where you can ask or you can just reply below. I'll add any information I missed to this thread):

Map Progress Update: 8/14/2019

Plans:

The Map - Currently, I have the map divided into 3 acts: pre-hardmode, hardmode, and post-moonlord. Each act will have its own separate world file and the player will be switching worlds once they complete each act (killing wof/moonlord). In each act, I plan to have a multitude of dungeons for the players to explore, some will be mandatory to advance the story will others will be optional for the player acquire additional gear and upgrades. Most dungeons will be designated a boss/event as the final challenge. The overall feel of this map will be very similar to that of TSORC. The map will also have 3 difficulties based around Calamity: Normal expert mode, revengence mode, and death mode. I will be mostly balancing everything around revengence mode because I want to keep with the difficult nature of TSORC.
Travel system - Each act will have an open world feel, but I also want to prevent too much backtracking so I want to implement a waypoint system. The current plan is to make one using teleporters, but I'm also looking (and prefer) to use a waypoints mod.
Lore - One of my favorite elements of TSORC was its lore and storytelling. Maybe I was just a kid back then, but I really felt as though the story was what made the map stand out from the rest to me. Because of that, I plan for this map to use the existing lore from TSORC and build from it. Currently, I am working on the story but there isn't enough of it for me to post yet, but I will keep this updated.
Crafting - Since there are so many items in Calamity, there is no possible way to give them all to the player to use. Because of that, I want to use a system for the players to discover it themselves. I plan on putting upgrade shrines all over the map. Each with shrine will have a designated craftable item, all the materials to upgrade it in a chest, and the crafting station needed to do so. The players will only have to bring the weapon they want to upgrade. Example: Say the player wants to craft a Night's Ray. The crafting recipe for that is a vilethorn, amber staff, magic missile, wand of sparking, 10 purified gel, and 15 true shadow scales. When the player finds the crafting shrine, the purified gel and true shadow scales will be provided, the player only needs to the bring all weapons. These shrines are only used for things that can be upgraded. All other items will be incorporated into the map.
Additional Mods - I am planning to incorporate other quality of life mods like magic storage to try and make the playthrough more enjoyable.

To Do List:

• Ruins of Arx (desert caverns): Start testing the block pallet and building corruption area, start testing the block pallet and building jungle area, add connections to other dungeons, add in the loot and chests, make the dungeon playable, revisit and retest difficulty of desert scourge's arena, build outpost outside
  • Slime King Area (To be named): build an arena for slime king, add connections to other dungeons, add in the loot and chests, make the dungeon playable, add in structures and shrines
  • Village Area: furnish the buildings, arrange the houses, add trees and background details, add in npcs

Looking for: (Long Term)
Beta Testers: The map will not be playable anytime soon. However, when it is, I would want to have people who are willing to test out the map in all 3 difficulties and make sure that the progression of each dungeon and boss is consistent.
Builders: Specifically, I am looking for anyone who specializes in building structures. Things like castles, houses, cities, etc.
Balancers: While I love the Calamity mod, I do not know everything about it. Because of this, I would love to have someone who is very knowledgeable on the calamity mod and could help with balancing the map and making sure the progression is consistent and fair throughout the map.
Modders: As I stated above, I am looking for a waypoint mod. If you are a modder and want to help me with this, please message me on discord and I'll go into further details on what I'm looking for.

If you want to contribute to the map, reply below with what you want to help out with as well as your discord information so I can contact you.

More Info:

If you want more info or just want to keep up with this project, join this discord channel and ask me about it. I'll try to update this thread every once in a while to show progress being made.

Last edited:
This sounds amazing. What a great surprise to stumble upon this today!

It is quite humbling to read your kind words and reflections on how the game impacted you when you were younger. That really means a lot to hear.

Back
Top Bottom