tModLoader Reduced Grinding

Are there plans to make the config file editable through the new in game config access (new tmod feature). This is not needed but a great QoL feature that you don't have to go look for the config and can instead just click the button and get to editing the rates. Though this might be annoying with the sliders that it uses.
I didn't know that was a thing. Pretty cool that they added that. I'm going to look into it.
Myself and a friend have been having issues with the Biome Lockboxes (View attachment 231262)
Attempting to open them (via right click) simply selects them in inventory, even when having biome keys.

We're not sure if it's a bug, or if we're just incompetent.
Mod version v5.1 in the mod browser.
Thanks for your report. I didn't set it's multiplayer compatiblity correctly, but I fixed it with this update.
Please help. This mod seemed to have broken the traveling merchant. The config has the default settings except for dynasty shingles and dynasty wood all at 1.0. I cannot get a traveling merchant to spawn.
My mod doesn't cancel his spawning, but does despawn him if you skip to night by using a Granite Moondial. I did noticed that I made one of my configurations unclear. "ChanceEachMorningTravelingMerchantWillSpawn" is actually a base chance. The formula is actually:

Chance*((YourTownNPCs / MaxTownNPCs + TownHardmodeNPCs / MaxTownHardmodeNPCs) / 2)^2​

If you noticed the config says "The chance for spawning the Traveling Merchant and for Restocking is affected by the amount of stationary Reduced Grinding and Vanilla npcs." I changed the configuration to "BaseMorningTMerchantSpawnChance"

==================================================================================================================
I updated my mod to version 5.2:
  • Fixed multiplayer compatibility issue with Biome Lockboxes.

Are there plans to make the config file editable through the new in game config access (new tmod feature). This is not needed but a great QoL feature that you don't have to go look for the config and can instead just click the button and get to editing the rates. Though this might be annoying with the sliders that it uses.
New update:
  • Editable file configuration system replaced with a in-game configuration menu system (this adds a lot of convenience and clarity).
  • Water and Spider Nest enemy's chance to drop a biome chest is now rolled separately from the other biomes.
  • Chance of dropping lockboxes will now test if the npc is a Water enemy, Spider Nest enemy, or Harpy before testing the player's location.
  • When calculating NPC percent for Traveling Merchant spawn and restock chances, it takes into account the configuration for disabling Bone Merchant when Luiafk is installed.
I plan to add a max range to my sliders (something like 10 times the default value unless it goes over 100%). There's also still some other clean up I can do like chaning the text of each option, adding hover tooltips where needed, and adding icons in some spots.

t
REDUCEDView attachment 202514GRINDING
Version 5.3
for tModLoader 0.11.5

ABOUT THIS MOD
This mod isn't supposed to make the game too easy, but makes it so you don't have to spend huge amounts of time farming for loot, for example: AFK farms to get rare item like Biome Keys.

Practically everything is configurable, so you can adjust to your liking. To configure my mod, hit the wrench icon over my mod in the mod menu:

View attachment 231526

HOW IT WORKS
  • New Items (Talk to the guide npc for crafting recipes, (recipes are configurable), or use a recipe mod like Recipe Browser)).
  • Shops:
    • New View attachment 217385 Stationary Merchant. He's a permanent Town NPC and has a chance to gain items that the Traveling Merchant has when the Traveling Merchant shop resets (chance starts low when the game starts and rises to 100% at Hardmode).
    • The Traveling Merchant has a chance to reset his shop each minute, but only if you have the View attachment 219003Traveling Merchant Restock Order in your inventory (which is sold cheap by the Stationary Merchant). His chance of spawning and resetting his shop depends on how many stationary Reduced Grinding and vanilla NPCs you have. In the start of the game the Traveling Merchant works normally, but towards the end of the game, he probably will appear more often and spam a shop reset constantly (if you have the Restock Order in your inventory).
    • New View attachment 218998Bone Merchant. The Skeleton Merchant now sells a View attachment 218999Skull Call which will summon him. Afterward, he will live in any occupied building and sell everything that the Skeleton Merchant sells.
    • New View attachment 219000Santa Claus. He arrives after the Frost Legion is defeated and will stay after the Christmas event.

• Fishing
    • New View attachment 219871 Fish Upgrade Potion. When using this potion and a vanilla rod: fish with a rarity of zero, have a chance of being turned into something better. When this happens, the mod re-calculates the caught fish (use the same method as vanilla). The chance to re-roll depends on your Fishing Power. If you successfully get this chance, it'll re-calculate once for every 5 fishing quest you've completed but will stop once the fish has a rarity greater than 0.
    • Caught Crates will upgrade based on your Fishing Power. It follows upgrading in this order: Wood to Iron, Iron to Gold/Biome.

• View attachment 219465 Chest Salesman: Sells chest (my mod makes mobs drop these occasionally anyway, which I think is a more fair way of obtaining them).
  • View attachment 219263 Gold Reflection Mirror: Sold by the Merchant and used to craft Golden Critters.
  • If Merchant is set to sell Pyramid items may not sell Sandstorm in a Bottle, depending on other configurations. The selling of Pyramid items by the merchant is disabled, because Underground Dessert enemies occasionally drop lock boxes for them.
  • View attachment 219464 Loot Merchant: Sells what's needed to summon the next vanilla boss you need to face and vanilla bosses you've defeated.
Keep in mind, that the drop rate increases in configuration file are additional to the drops you get in vanilla (for example: if an items vanilla rate = 1% and mod rate = 9%, then the rate is 10%).

COPY OF CONFIG FILE WITH EVERYTHING SHUT OFF
Here's a the copy of the configuration file, only with everything shut off, for those who want to only turn on a few things (I'll try to remember to keep this updated, but if it's out of date, please let me know): Link

In this link: Select-All then copy. Then in the configuration file Select-All then paste.

Currently updated to v4.68

DOWNLOAD AND GITHUB LINKS
Download to all releases: dragon3025/Reduced-Grinding
tModLoader: Standalone - [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API
Github Page: dragon3025/Reduced-Grinding

Versions Translated with tModLoader - ModLocalizer - A tool to create localization for tModLoader mods
4.68 Chinese Localized (thanks to ZY10086): dragon3025/Reduced-Grinding

My mod is open-source and can be downloaded with tModReader and GitHub. Any forks on Github to improve on my project is appreciated.

Feel free to request something for this mod (as long as it sticks to the theme "Reduced Grinding").

CREDITS
  • adaxe for reporting a bug now fixed in 3.5 and 3.6.
  • Cheezegami for Fenzy Potion sprite, help with getting drinking sound for Frenzy Potion, and reporting bug now fixed in 3.10.
  • CrimsHallowHero for Rain Potion coding.
  • DarkLight for the name "War Potion".
  • direwolf320 for help on Discord.
  • direwolf420 for help on Discord.
  • Feaw for Chest Salesman names and qoutes.
  • Flashkirby99 for Fish Catching Quality Calculator code: tModLoader - [Snippet] Fishing catch quality calculator
  • GabeHasWon for help on Discord.
  • Gaz777 for reporting bugs now fixed in 3.4.
  • Itorius for help on Discord.
  • JopoJelly for help on Discord.
  • Jopojelly and Kazzymodus for coding posted here: tModLoader - Any monster spawn rate and spawn cap mod?.
  • Josh for help on Discord.
  • Lavendar Josh for the Chest Seller Sprite
  • Luiafk for help on Discord.
  • Matakor for reporting bug now fixed in 3.19
  • MEOWmagic123 for help on Discord.
  • newts for reporting bug now fixed in 3.11
  • sea_4 for reporting bug now fixed in 4:26
  • sm644me for idea of a secondary Battle Potion item instead of increasing effects of Battle Potion.
  • ILSpyMaster program
  • ZY10086 for translated v4.68 to Chinese

COMPATIBILITY
I can test if a mod is installed and make changes to mine, but for other mods that aren't open source, you'll need to provide me with the mod's object ids and a link to the mod author's permission to use them first.

• Luiafk: I altered my shops to not sell what Luiafk already sells (For Example: Crimson Seeds in a Corrupt world). Only vanilla fishing rods try to upgrade fish when this is installed (because having multiple lines is pretty good and having them upgrade fish would be too good).
his mod didnt fully unload

I updated my mod with these changes:
  • Fixed Bug: Moonball not working in a Server
  • Tax Collector Alert setting can now be set to 0 to disable.

Is there any way to make the battlepotion spawnrate higher than 1?
I get that war and chaos potions are supposed to be used more but being unable to increase that kind makes them worthless now especially in early game.

EDIT: Or possibly a way to use the old editable config file?

Last edited:
Is there any way to make the battlepotion spawnrate higher than 1?
I get that war and chaos potions are supposed to be used more but being unable to increase that kind makes them worthless now especially in early game.

EDIT: Or possibly a way to use the old editable config file?
Oops, that was supposed to be able to go above 1, I fixed it. You can edit the configuration json file manually, but it works differently now. Only configurations that are set to something that isn't default will show up. So after moving the potion sliders a little, it created this "ReducedGrinding_HOtherModdedItemsConfig.json" file:
JSON:
{
  "BattlePotionMaxSpawnsMultiplier": 11.6071,
  "BattlePotionSpawnrateMultiplier": 14.5535994
}

New Update:
Changes:
- New Stationary Merchant Sprite (and Alternate Sprite) by Lonely Star.
- Configuration Bug Fix: Battle Potion spawn rate multiplier can now go above 1.

Hey, I'm sorry if this isnt the right place, but I installed this mod primarily to get all the thorium traveling merchant items (too impatient to wait a million hours just to collect every item)

the stationary merchant has all the VANILLA items, but none of the modded ones, and the traveling merchant always sells the same few (unmodded) items

it will sometimes say "the traveling merchant has restocked" but he will still be selling the same items. I am not sure if i am misunderstanding the way this mod is supposed to work, or if its bugged

Hey, I'm sorry if this isnt the right place, but I installed this mod primarily to get all the thorium traveling merchant items (too impatient to wait a million hours just to collect every item)

the stationary merchant has all the VANILLA items, but none of the modded ones, and the traveling merchant always sells the same few (unmodded) items

it will sometimes say "the traveling merchant has restocked" but he will still be selling the same items. I am not sure if i am misunderstanding the way this mod is supposed to work, or if its bugged

Woops, looks like the Traveling Merchant wasn't updating all the clients when the shop restocks, I fixed it.

New Update:
- Fixed bug: Traveling Merchant shop wasn't restocking in Servers.
- Added more icons to configuration (still have more to go).
- Made some of the configuration labels more clear (still have more to go).

New Update:
  • This mod's Santa NPC is now the Christmas Elf NPC.
  • New Christmas Elf and Loot Merchant sprites by Lonely Star.
  • Added more text and icons to the configuration menu.

Just asking, probably been asked before, but can/how do I turn off the custom NPCs from this mod? I've tried messing around with the mod config under "Custom NPCs" but regardless of whether or not the NPCs' options are active, they still appear in the NPC housing menu as if they could still spawn on me. I also can't find a way to disable the Stationary Merchant. I already have a mod that adds an NPC that sells Travelling Merchat/Skeleton Merchant/Santa/Crates all at once, so I don't need those NPCs active.

The Stationary Merchant option is near the top of "Traveling and Stationary Merchant". I don't think NPCs show up in the housing menu unless they're in the world somewhere, check around the fullscreen map to see if they're there. After disabling the NPCs it's possible that they wont despawn even if you reload the game. Try killing them and see if they respawn.

Back
Top Bottom