Reduced Mining Mod

VolcanicMG

Spazmatism
icon.png

v1.3.0
Reduced Mining
Reduced Mining is also available in the mod browser!

Reduced Mining is a simple mod that reduces the amount of time spent mining so you can go off and work on more important things!

Key Features: (All are configurable)
Increase/Decrease in pickaxe speed. Default: +20%, Max +300%
Chance for ores to drop twice. Default: 20%, Max 100%
Triple Chance. Default: +10% of drop twice value, Max 100% of 'Chance for ores to drop twice' value
(If both values are maxed it has a 100% chance to drop three times)

Contributors
Blipp - Icon
direwolf420 - Netcoding and optimizations

VolcanicMG - Developer and mod maintainer

GitHub download: Releases · VolcanicMG/ReducedMining
Discord: The Reduced Mining Discord

CHANGELOG:

V1.3.0
-1.4.4.9 port

V1.2.2
-Fixed an issue with Calamity that didn't allow for the world to finish loading.

V1.2.1
-Fixed an issue when loading in new world that made the world fail

V1.2
-1.4 port

V1.1
-Added in netcoding support
-Fixed an exploit that allowed you to place down ores and pick them back up with twice the gain
-Added code optimizations
-Added the chance to get three ores
-Updated the mod icon

V1.0
-Initial release

For any issues or problems please report them down below or in our discord. Feel free to share any thoughts or ideas!

Last edited:
Ooooh, this is an incredible mod! Thank you so much for it! Pick speed and the ability to remove terrain quickly is one of my biggest goals in the early game. This is simply brilliant. You have done a great boon to the community with this! <3

the chances for ores to drop twice is a bug for infinite ores, as you can just place the ore down and mine them again.

Sounds like a discipline issue to me, not a bug. :p People can play the way they want to. If this mod increases that potential, fantastic! If people ruin their experience for themselves by using tools or features provided to them that they willingly downloaded and used, that's on them.

Sounds like a discipline issue to me, not a bug. :p People can play the way they want to. If this mod increases that potential, fantastic! If people ruin their experience for themselves by using tools or features provided to them that they willingly downloaded and used, that's on them.
Exactly what I was thinking. I've looked into it a bit and it's close to impossible and would take a lot of work to correct. I might look into it a bit more.

Last edited:
the chances for ores to drop twice is a bug for infinite ores, as you can just place the ore down and mine them again.

This "bug" can be patched so easily.
This being said, it's a chance related "ability", therefore the chance can be increased. OR you can create a system for if the ore is mined more than 5 times, the chance for it to drop 2 will be initiated.

This "bug" can be patched so easily.
This being said, it's a chance related "ability", therefore the chance can be increased. OR you can create a system for if the ore is mined more than 5 times, the chance for it to drop 2 will be initiated.
Either way ill be looking into a few solutions. If you want to recommend something too that's fine, Im always open to input.

Either way ill be looking into a few solutions. If you want to recommend something too that's fine, Im always open to input.
There's 2 right there.
You could always create a cooldown called "Miner's Flu". After so many times 2 drops, the debuff will appear and mitigate the double drop chance. Once it goes away, you will get the chance back.
Although, if you go this route, i'd make the debuff last 1 minute, so players still have to mine and what not, and maybe save the most valuable ore for when the debuff runs out... This could create a whole different gameplay feel & maybe create excitement

There's 2 right there.
You could always create a cooldown called "Miner's Flu". After so many times 2 drops, the debuff will appear and mitigate the double drop chance. Once it goes away, you will get the chance back.
Although, if you go this route, i'd make the debuff last 1 minute, so players still have to mine and what not, and maybe save the most valuable ore for when the debuff runs out... This could create a whole different gameplay feel & maybe create excitement
I like this, I also had the thought of making it cost money, the only thing about the money would be to balance it out. Maybe for each consecutive 5 seconds of mining, it adds 10 or so silver to the cost of mining that block. There are pros and cons to this but it's still a rather simple solution that could make money more viable in certain areas, and it could speed up the early game around the same amount while keeping it balanced, especially for the people that like grinding money in the early game. Im sure you could configure it to work and cost more under certain conditions.

I like this, I also had the thought of making it cost money, the only thing about the money would be to balance it out. Maybe for each consecutive 5 seconds of mining, it adds 10 or so silver to the cost of mining that block. There are pros and cons to this but it's still a rather simple solution that could make money more viable in certain areas, and it could speed up the early game around the same amount while keeping it balanced, especially for the people that like grinding money in the early game. Im sure you could configure it to work and cost more under certain conditions.

Why not implement both?
Nerf them together so they work together equally, making a fun, unique mining experience

The way I would do this would be to track when the player places an ore block and add to a list of tile coords, so the code can't execute that code at that tile location again
I like the idea of mining just, eating the player's money to dup ores thou

The way I would do this would be to track when the player places an ore block and add to a list of tile coords, so the code can't execute that code at that tile location again
I like the idea of mining just, eating the player's money to dup ores thou
This exact thing is already developed, It just needs to be optimized and net coded.

This exact thing is already developed, It just needs to be optimized and net coded.
1: you need to save this data to a TagCompound so it gets reloaded, I have saved Lists before so that's completely possible.
2: use List.Distinct().ToList() to remove duplicates

just a few tips, hopefully we won't have another TES EXP tile storing system that requires 10 seconds to save a small world :p

1: you need to save this data to a TagCompound so it gets reloaded, I have saved Lists before so that's completely possible.
2: use List.Distinct().ToList() to remove duplicates

just a few tips, hopefully we won't have another TES EXP tile storing system that requires 10 seconds to save a small world :p
Yeah is pretty easy at this point. Saving it won't be too hard either. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom