Game Mechanics Remove Summon AI: Right-Click to Summon, Left-Click to Attack (or vice-versa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artized

Official Terrarian
EDIT: Credit to Baconfry who thought of this before me: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/manual-targeting-for-summoners.374/

Currently, the player can only control how many of what minion they can summon using summon items. After that, each minion has a set AI that it follows to automatically attack enemies.

Simply put, Right-clicking would instead summon minions with the selected summon item and Left-clicking would make the minions (of the player's currently held summon item) attack or move to the location of the player's cursor, regardless if there's an enemy there. It's a small change but it would really make Summon-based combat a lot more engaging and player-controllable. Of course when not directed, minions would simply follow the player.

This would apply to turret summons too, whereas if you switched to the Frost Hydra Staff while you have an active Frost Hydra, Left-clicking would make the Frost Hydra shoot in the direction of the cursor.

Last edited:
Already suggested by Baconfry.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/manual-targeting-for-summoners.374/

On-topic, apparently Cenx mentioned that adding functions to right-clicks can mess things up, so they probably won't do it on summon staves. I have never been able to locate said quote, however.

The suggestion itself makes sense of course, and it would give some extra edge to the summoners.

Thanks for pointing out Baconfry's suggestion. Linked in the original post.

EDIT: Credit to Baconfry who thought of this before me: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/manual-targeting-for-summoners.374/

Currently, the player can only control how many of what minion they can summon using summon items. After that, each minion has a set AI that it follows to automatically attack enemies.

Simply put, Right-clicking would instead summon minions with the selected summon item and Left-clicking would make the minions (of the player's currently held summon item) attack or move to the location of the player's cursor, regardless if there's an enemy there. It's a small change but it would really make Summon-based combat a lot more engaging and player-controllable. Of course when not directed, minions would simply follow the player.

This would apply to turret summons too, whereas if you switched to the Frost Hydra Staff while you have an active Frost Hydra, Left-clicking would make the Frost Hydra shoot in the direction of the cursor.
This would be horrible for console players.

i'm sure the dev's will figure something out along the lines of this, they've been amazing to us so far :)

but as a whole, you've got my support with wanting the ability to manually target stuff

summoner class was never like the other three. Its a special one, as it leaves hands open for other weapons. Your suggestion is trying to make it like the other 3, but i like it the way it is right now. Hope they dont change it

As this is almost exactly the same as a long running Baconfry suggestion, we will be closing this as a duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom