Weapons & Equip Replacement of sand with other blocks before hardmode

Replacement of sand with other blocks before hardmode?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Termi

Official Terrarian
Sand and other blocks affected by gravity can only be Block Swapped when using a pickaxe or drill with at least 56% pickaxe power.
Candy cane, Fossil and Bone Pickaxes will have 56% pickaxe power instead of 55%

At the moment in the game it looks like this:
  • Sand and other blocks affected by gravity can only be Block Swapped when using a pickaxe or drill with at least 110% pickaxe power, e.g. the Cobalt Pickaxe.[1] With weaker pickaxes, only the topmost block of a Sand column can be Block Swapped with a non-falling block. All pickaxes and drills can Block Swap Sand with other gravity-affected blocks.
What do you think?

Last edited:
It needs to have some sort of area of effect, otherwise it would be too clunky to use. It could shoot a Clentaminator-like stream but much shorter and maybe a bit thicker so when making a tunnel you only need to shoot forward instead of having to aim slightly upwards.

It could just turn sand into the hardened variant, no need to invent a new game mechanic for this.

It needs to have some sort of area of effect, otherwise it would be too clunky to use. It could shoot a Clentaminator-like stream but much shorter and maybe a bit thicker so when making a tunnel you only need to shoot forward instead of having to aim slightly upwards.
I was thinking of making him shoot one block at a time. Because you don't have to make all the blocks in front of you solid. It is enough to do this with blocks above the head.
It could just turn sand into the hardened variant, no need to invent a new game mechanic for this.
In this case need contrive what power turns the sand into hardened variant.

Last edited:
I was thinking of making him shoot one block at a time. Because you don't have to make all the blocks in front of you solid. It is enough to do this with blocks above the head.
It would work if it was some kind of tool like the Paintbrush that lets you apply the effect to any block in range, but if it shoots a projectile that collides and only affects one block, then you'd have problems. I drew a picture to illustrate (blue is player, yellow is sand, orange is hardened sand, grey is the floor).

Ideally this item should affect multiple blocks at once, if only so you can convert a bunch of sand before digging through, rather than converting one, digging one, converting one, digging one....

Attachments

• dsadsaadsd.png
    dsadsaadsd.png
    10 KB · Views: 28
It would work if it was some kind of tool like the Paintbrush that lets you apply the effect to any block in range, but if it shoots a projectile that collides and only affects one block, then you'd have problems. I drew a picture to illustrate (blue is player, yellow is sand, orange is hardened sand, grey is the floor).

Ideally this item should affect multiple blocks at once, if only so you can convert a bunch of sand before digging through, rather than converting one, digging one, converting one, digging one....
Okay, you're right. Then let it not be a weapon that shoots, but a tool that interacts with the block. Similar to dirt rod.

:eek::eek::eek: Was it before??
Okay, I'm satisfied!)) and happy:)
firecat666, you knew?
  • Sand and other blocks affected by gravity can only be Block Swapped when using a pickaxe or drill with at least 110% pickaxe power, e.g. the Cobalt Pickaxe.[1] With weaker pickaxes, only the topmost block of a Sand column can be Block Swapped with a non-falling block. All pickaxes and drills can Block Swap Sand with other gravity-affected blocks.

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek: Was it before??
Okay, I'm satisfied!)) and happy:)
firecat666, you knew?
I have to say, I haven't done much world building/mining since... 1.0, actually. So I'm used to just navigating around the sand or blasting it all with rockets or something, instead of trying to tunnel through it. But your suggestion would be for an early game item and the block swap thing requires hardmode, so I think it would be nice to have such a tool early in the game.

there is/was an old mod, though I don't know if it was ported to 1.4 or not...
anyway, it had a tool called something like "rattlesnake wand" and it worked like you could turn sand blocks (and their altered variants, like corrupted, etc.) into herdened sand (or their respective variant) by left click, - and turn hardened sand into sand by right click - I don't remember how big its range was, and it could only change one block at once, but it was a very handy tool.

I don't think there's a real need to turn a large amount of sand into hardened sand when tunneling, having the row right above the player's head sounds enough.
if one block is too little, it could have an upgrade where it turns multiple sand blocks into hardened sand in a row. but don't really see the need of a large area effect.

I don't really see a reason not to replace sand blocks with others before hardmode.
At least a better before-hardmode pickaxe

Back
Top Bottom