tModLoader Research from 1.4 in Terraria 1.3.5

It says updated 40mins ago but on the mod list it says its 1.4.1, if it was indeed updated and the version just didnt change then the fix didn't work (fargo stuff still unresearchable)
The update says is still processing, in Mod Browser. But if you want to test it sooner go here and download it directly (the 1.4.2 version, the 1.4.2.1 was not accepted yet):

JPANv2/ResearchFrom14

Can it work like in 1.4, when you tap "Research" the leftover items to go back to our inventory?

Can it work like in 1.4, when you tap "Research" the leftover items to go back to our inventory?
If you research something you can get infinite of that item, why would you want the leftovers when you can just get a full stack of it anyway?

Should in 1.3 (1.4.1 is up on the browser but it's a little buggy, we're waiting on 1.4.2.1 to get updated). "Remaining items researched will be sent to your inventory if you have space."
If you research something you can get infinite of that item, why would you want the leftovers when you can just get a full stack of it anyway?
I might have grabbed a couple slime banners from a farm, I'll research one and then immediately hang the second one up. Same with potions I might drink, etc.

Should in 1.3 (1.4.1 is up on the browser but it's a little buggy, we're waiting on 1.4.2.1 to get updated). "Remaining items researched will be sent to your inventory if you have space."
I might have grabbed a couple slime banners from a farm, I'll research one and then immediately hang the second one up. Same with potions I might drink, etc.
but instead of clicking the banner in your inventory you can just click the banner you just researched and also just hang it up

Just updated my mod and lost all my researched items. Newly researched items still show up when I refresh the table, but all my hundreds of old researched items are gone and since the mod considers then researched already I can't research them again. As such my window is empty so I can't check if the scroll wheel is working (which it was not before). Not gonna take the time to research that many more items to check, I'll just wait until it's fixed.
EDIT:
Ok my items are back, but the scroll wheel is still not working. To clarify, the scroll wheel scrolls through my crafting list, not the research window.

My specs are 32-bit TmodLoader, Windows 10 OS, same result no matter what UIs I have open even when just the research window.
"Bags",
"CalamityMod",
"ZLegendarys",
"ElementsUnleashed",
"AutoReroll",
"AutoTrash",
"BannerBonanza",
"BaseLibrary",
"BetterTaxes",
"BossChecklist",
"BossCursor",
"Census",
"FKBossHealthBar",
"FluidLibrary",
"FullHPWhenRespawn",
"HamstarHelpers",
"HelpfulHotkeys",
"imkSushisMod",
"InstantRespawn",
"ItemChecklist",
"MagicStorage",
"MechScope",
"MinionCrits",
"NoMoreTombs",
"PlayerStatistics",
"PlentifulOres",
"RecipeBrowser",
"StarHell",
"Unleveled",
"VeinMiner",
"WheresMyItems",
"Widgets",
"WingSlot",
"WMITF",
"XItemStats",
"BetterYoyos",
"BuildPlanner",
"Fishing3",
"CheatSheet",
"Critters",
"Events",
"Expeditions",
"GadgetGalore",
"GoldensMisc",
"Fargowiltas",
"Intrinsics",
"LootBags",
"MechTransfer",
"MoreYoyos",
"MountedMagicMirrors",
"Rewards",
"SummonersDream",
"SummonPack",
"UnuBattleRods",
"Loot",
"VipixToolBox",
"Wireless",
"BothEvils",
"CrystiliumMod",
"Microstructures",
"OrchidMineshaft",
"SpelunkSurge",
"Wormholes",
"Leveled",
"ExpeditionsContent",
"WeaponOutLite",
"StartWithBase",
"WorldGenPreviewer",
"BetterBuffs",
"AnglerQuestAnnouncement",
"BannerChecklist",
"HuntingExpedition",
"ResearchFrom14",
"PortableStorage",
"ContainerLibrary",
"ClamExtraMusic",
"CalamityModMusic"
I know that's a long list of mods but this was supposed to be my mega modded playthrough. About a quarter of those mods I got when I joined a MP server and just never got around to turning them off. Most of it is just QoL, so I don't see how it could conflict.

Last edited:
Just updated my mod and lost all my researched items. Newly researched items still show up when I refresh the table, but all my hundreds of old researched items are gone and since the mod considers then researched already I can't research them again. As such my window is empty so I can't check if the scroll wheel is working (which it was not before). Not gonna take the time to research that many more items to check, I'll just wait until it's fixed.
EDIT:
Ok my items are back, but the scroll wheel is still not working. To clarify, the scroll wheel scrolls through my crafting list, not the research window.
Could you enlighten me on how you pulled it off? I'm having the same exact problem, and even after restarting my game, they don't show up.

Could you enlighten me on how you pulled it off? I'm having the same exact problem, and even after restarting my game, they don't show up.
Nothing I can say really. I started researching some random stuff and it just all came back. I don't know if my researching fixed it or it was just taking a long time to load.

I get my items back by going into another character (it only has wood learnt) loading the items in that, then going back to the actual character. It's a temporary fix as it will only work until you restart your game, after which you have to do it again.

When i left the game and then later rejoined all the things i had researched said so but i could not see any of them in the research menu

Everyone who keeps reposting the same thing over and over: it's already been fixed in 1.4.2 and you can grab a slightly outdated version here manually until 1.4.2.1 gets added to Mod Browser (which is still on 1.4.1):
The update says is still processing, in Mod Browser. But if you want to test it sooner go here and download it directly (the 1.4.2 version, the 1.4.2.1 was not accepted yet):

JPANv2/ResearchFrom14 << This is a link

That being said, other glitches and 1.4 parity things for JPAN:

(1) If you left-click any of the item-duplication buttons while holding an item in your cursor, the item you're holding vanishes and is deleted, regardless of if its the same item or not (you can RMB same-item and it adds to cursor stack, as expected). Expected behavior (as per 1.4) is nothing happens regardless of item held vs. item clicked.
(2) If there is an item in the research spot, you can't swap it out with another item you're holding in your cursor using LMB. If they're the same item, you can add the cursor stack to the slotted item (but not vice versa).
(3) 1.4's research allows you to fully text-search the tooltips as well - not sure how difficult this would be for TML since it does actually search the entire tooltip and not just the extra text - if you search "mat" then anything with "Material" in the tooltip pops up, "melee" pops up every "Melee Damage" weapon as well as accessories or flasks that may include "melee" in their tooltip, etc. Notably, Recipe Browser doesn't support the full tooltip, which is why I'm skeptical TML can handle it. At the least, you may want to support the extra tooltip searching so you can quickly find e.g. "grants underwater breathing" or whatever.
(4) In 1.4, closing the research pane (or inventory/menu screen) or quitting the game will remove the item from the slot (if your inventory's not full). Here, it remains in the slot even through quitting the game, so it's not lost or anything though.
(5) Adding a 'clear search text' button may be useful (1.4 is missing this as well >_>).
(6) A "not fully researched" tab that specially displays only items that have at least 1 research point may be nice for completionists.

Thanks for fixing the other bugs so quickly! I think the updated color scheme looks better so far as well.

Last edited:
EDIT:

My specs are 32-bit TmodLoader, Windows 10 OS, same result no matter what UIs I have open even when just the research window.
"Bags",
"CalamityMod",
"ZLegendarys",
"ElementsUnleashed",
"AutoReroll",
"AutoTrash",
"BannerBonanza",
"BaseLibrary",
"BetterTaxes",
"BossChecklist",
"BossCursor",
"Census",
"FKBossHealthBar",
"FluidLibrary",
"FullHPWhenRespawn",
"HamstarHelpers",
"HelpfulHotkeys",
"imkSushisMod",
"InstantRespawn",
"ItemChecklist",
"MagicStorage",
"MechScope",
"MinionCrits",
"NoMoreTombs",
"PlayerStatistics",
"PlentifulOres",
"RecipeBrowser",
"StarHell",
"Unleveled",
"VeinMiner",
"WheresMyItems",
"Widgets",
"WingSlot",
"WMITF",
"XItemStats",
"BetterYoyos",
"BuildPlanner",
"Fishing3",
"CheatSheet",
"Critters",
"Events",
"Expeditions",
"GadgetGalore",
"GoldensMisc",
"Fargowiltas",
"Intrinsics",
"LootBags",
"MechTransfer",
"MoreYoyos",
"MountedMagicMirrors",
"Rewards",
"SummonersDream",
"SummonPack",
"UnuBattleRods",
"Loot",
"VipixToolBox",
"Wireless",
"BothEvils",
"CrystiliumMod",
"Microstructures",
"OrchidMineshaft",
"SpelunkSurge",
"Wormholes",
"Leveled",
"ExpeditionsContent",
"WeaponOutLite",
"StartWithBase",
"WorldGenPreviewer",
"BetterBuffs",
"AnglerQuestAnnouncement",
"BannerChecklist",
"HuntingExpedition",
"ResearchFrom14",
"PortableStorage",
"ContainerLibrary",
"ClamExtraMusic",
"CalamityModMusic"
I know that's a long list of mods but this was supposed to be my mega modded playthrough. About a quarter of those mods I got when I joined a MP server and just never got around to turning them off. Most of it is just QoL, so I don't see how it could conflict.

I had scroll issues too
Disabled Portable Storage to correct the problem :)

Everyone who keeps reposting the same thing over and over: it's already been fixed in 1.4.2 and you can grab a slightly outdated version here manually until 1.4.2.1 gets added to Mod Browser (which is still on 1.4.1):
WOW, I went blind on that. Thanks for pointing that out.

(1) If you left-click any of the item-duplication buttons while holding an item in your cursor, the item you're holding vanishes and is deleted, regardless of if its the same item or not (you can RMB same-item and it adds to cursor stack, as expected). Expected behavior (as per 1.4) is nothing happens regardless of item held vs. item clicked.
(2) If there is an item in the research spot, you can't swap it out with another item you're holding in your cursor using LMB. If they're the same item, you can add the cursor stack to the slotted item (but not vice versa).
(3) 1.4's research allows you to fully text-search the tooltips as well - not sure how difficult this would be for TML since it does actually search the entire tooltip and not just the extra text - if you search "mat" then anything with "Material" in the tooltip pops up, "melee" pops up every "Melee Damage" weapon as well as accessories or flasks that may include "melee" in their tooltip, etc. Notably, Recipe Browser doesn't support the full tooltip, which is why I'm skeptical TML can handle it. At the least, you may want to support the extra tooltip searching so you can quickly find e.g. "grants underwater breathing" or whatever.
(4) In 1.4, closing the research pane (or inventory/menu screen) or quitting the game will remove the item from the slot (if your inventory's not full). Here, it remains in the slot even through quitting the game, so it's not lost or anything though.
(5) Adding a 'clear search text' button may be useful (1.4 is missing this as well >_>).
(6) A "not fully researched" tab that specially displays only items that have at least 1 research point may be nice for completionists.

Thanks for fixing the other bugs so quickly! I think the updated color scheme looks better so far as well.
1 - Intentional, but not working as intended. Should be "Deletes Researched items." Fixed in 1.4.3.
2 - Also fixed in 1.4.3
3 - I implemented a button to allow tooltip text to be included in search. Ideally, it would be a checkbox, but that code is not available in tmod, so using a color-changing button instead. When not pressed, the outline is gray and the letters white. When pressed, the outline and letters turn green. This means it's active and will search for tooltips.
4 - Also intentional, as items stored in there do not disappear. However, they would be kept too well, as removing them then saving with the item removed would create a copy of it there when reloading. This has been fixed in 1.4.3.
5 - Added one in 1.4.3
6 - This one I don't think will be adding. Items displayed in the Recipe Panel are intended to be obtainable by clicking on them. Non-researched items would not be available for getting, causing some confusion to the user. Creating a new panel just for that could be a solution, but we'll see.

V 1.4.3 is out now... In Github, I mean. Get it here.
Change log is pretty much described above, in those 6 answers. Might have fixed something else, but I don't recall what.

It will release in ModBrowser when jopojelly shows up in discord so we can discuss the problem.

I had scroll issues too
Disabled Portable Storage to correct the problem :)
Thanks, this solved the scrolling issue. I assume it has something to do with Baselib, as that library mod has had a few problems with recent updates. Sadly I'd rather keep my bags than be able to scroll so I'll be keeping it on.

On a separate note, is it possible to save the window location/size? It resets everytime I log out.

Back
Top Bottom