tModLoader Research from 1.4 in Terraria 1.3.5

I've begun, a bit recently, having a problem with this mod as of late and I wanted to see if I could have some help with figuring out what had happened to cause it to occur. At first it was working just fine as everything had its normal research values (Such as items like Heart Crystals needing only ten to be fully researched), however, some items and even stations alongside some other items now need fifty to research them and I need help figuring out why this had happened.

A configuration option where res sharing books work when you leave the world. I'm doing a mod of redemption play through with this and something broke my character and I can't give the new one my researched items because it isn't learning. I'd appreciate any way to save res sharing after leaving a world.
Unfortunately, It was not possible to store the research permanently when I last checked. The data is just too massive for the size allocated to Item Saves. It might have changed meanwhile, so I would need to check.
What the item currently does is store, in memory, the research's cache, which is a list of all fully researched items. This will be relevant later in this post.

How do I do "recalculate" when I install new mods and all their item prerequisites are already researched (but not the resulting item now) ?
Using a Knowledge sharing book you created on yourself triggers a recalculation of the entire research cache, fixing any crafted items. This work even if you decide to change from a character that didn't learn crafting research to one who does, by changing the config option. The other way around (disabling crafting) will not remove them, however
I can't get custom exceptions to work. How am I suppose to do this? I enter a modded item's name in the key field, and the amount in the value, but it has no effect.
The values were only calculated at Mod Load time, so you would need to reload the mods to apply it. This is however not always the case now.

Version 1.8 is here!
This version adds Prefix Research.

When you research an item with a prefix, that prefix for that item will be saved. You can then use the Prefix UI (opened by default with the "-" key, but you're free to change) to change the prefix to any you have researched (No prefix option is always available).
NotQuiteResearched.png

Even if you have an item researched, the following tooltip indicates you do not have the Prefix researched for that item, and can research it to unlock it.

PrefixUI.png

This is the Prefix UI. Not the greatest in UI technology, but does its job. Press any of the Buttons on the scrollable pane to apply the Prefix onto the item.

This version also adds two new options. One, on the client side config, allows you to turn on Auto-trash mode for items you already have researched (Items with non researched Prefixes are treated as not researched). This works on any researched item that has not been picked up by another mod (such as the Part converter in my Rare Item Swap Mod, or the Bags in Bags of Holding).

The other Option is on the Research Amount Config, and allows you to force refresh the values of the maximum research needed, once, when you open the Research UI. Warning, this causes massive lag, and freezes for a few seconds as it reprocesses all values. Please be patient.

So, the changelog is as follows:

V1.8 Changelog
- Added Prefix Research;
- Added Auto-delete researched items option in the config.
- Added Force Reload option in config to reload custom values or difficulty changes on the fly.

Hey JPAN, thank you very much for updating this amazing mod. I thought just yesertday, that it would be amazing to auto delete already researched items.

I just updated the mod and one thing i would like to ask you.
Would it be possible to auto research new prefixes if the base item is already researched?

My inventory fills very fast with all these new prefixes. Till today i used the Auto-Trash mod to auto delete items i don't want to pick up and with your auto delete option it combines what i was already doing but with the new prefixes my inventory still fills up now. The auto trash mod runs very inefficiently because as the list of auto trashes items grows the system lags if i pick up more than a few items at a time. Your auto delete feature could be much more efficient.

Edit:
After testing the new version i found a bug:
The auto delete also desummons my summons when something is picked up that will be auto deleted.

Last edited:
Hey JPAN, thank you very much for updating this amazing mod. I thought just yesertday, that it would be amazing to auto delete already researched items.

I just updated the mod and one thing i would like to ask you.
Would it be possible to auto research new prefixes if the base item is already researched?

My inventory fills very fast with all these new prefixes. Till today i used the Auto-Trash mod to auto delete items i don't want to pick up and with your auto delete option it combines what i was already doing but with the new prefixes my inventory still fills up now. The auto trash mod runs very inefficiently because as the list of auto trashes items grows the system lags if i pick up more than a few items at a time. Your auto delete feature could be much more efficient.

Edit:
After testing the new version i found a bug:
The auto delete also desummons my summons when something is picked up that will be auto deleted.
There was a bug with the item despawning (and throwing exception, blocking all other updates) because it became Air before being picked up, and air cannot be picked up. Fixed by just setting the stack to 0. It has the side effect that you now see the name of the item you "pick up".

Also, for the new prefixes not being auto-destroyed, it was more of a "balance" thing, so I just added a new config option that allows you to auto-destroy researched items with different prefixes and learn the prefix that way.

Both were released in v1.8.1

Note: v1.8.1 has an oversight, in that the item in the research item slot is destroyed as well when new prefixes are auto-researched. I have a fix for it, but Mod Browser usually doesn't like when I update a mod twice in a row in a small amount of time, so, I'll only update it in about 5 minutes ( 10:50GMT). Sorry for the inconvenience. (Released)

V1.8.1.1 Changelog
- Fixed Auto-trash causing exceptions.
- Auto-trashed items now show up as picked up as part of the solution. This can't be helped.
- Added an option to auto-trash non-researched Prefix items and research the prefix in the process.
- (the .1 update) Fixes a bug in the auto-trash researching prefixes where the item in the research slot (if any) was deleted.

Last edited:
The TMod Menu does not allow negative numbers by default in the Config. Instead of changing the config box to allow -1, I just changed the config to accept 0 as the default "unresearchable" value. Do note that this is the default value as well, so new entries will start as unresearchable until a new value is provided.

V1.8.1.2 changelog
- Changed default "unresearchable" value in the Config to be 0.

Edit: Quick fix for the trash in multiplayer destroying every item.
v1.8.1.3 changelog
Fixed Trash in multiplayer;
Added exception to trash to the research sharing book, so you can throw it in the ground and someone else pick it up.

Last edited:
The only gripe i've got is that the auto-trash on researched items doesn't work when fishing.
That's an old bug with the OnPickup hook from TMod. Nothing I can do about it. (It is the same bug that prevents fished items to be auto-turned into parts in Rare Item Swap and the Crate and Fish bags from Bags of Holding not auto picking them up)

EDiT:
Autotrash is handy, but sometimes we may wish for some items not to be trashed, such as money and Etherian Mana. So, auto trash no longer disposes of those items. Also, Auto-trash is now on its own Client Side config, so that option will be always on/off based on the player's preferences, not the servers. That config has a Blacklist, so that you can add items you wish the auto-trash leaves alone.

NOTE: As a consequence to those changes, auto-trash preferences were reset to Off, as by default. Turn them on again in the Trash Config.

V 1.8.2 Changelog
- Fixed Shift-clicking on certain contexts (like shops) allowing you to steal the item to research it.
- Added Auto-trash exceptions to Coins and Etherian mana, as well as an auto-trash blacklist that allows items (by tag) to not be trashed.

V 1.8.2.1 Changelog
-Made so items spawned by shift-clicking them in the researched items window no longer get auto-trashed unless there is no empty space in the inventory.

Last edited:
so, i have quite a few mods enabled currently, downloaded this mod recently, but no matter what i chose as the key for opening the UI it wouldn't work, i've tried the default keys it suggest too, "add, subtract" maybe there's a mod conflicting with the UI perhaps?

Excuse me, this might be a bad time to ask, but how do I change the research requirement for modded items, like this 1 item is 25 to research, but should only be one. How do I to change this? Anything helps. Thank you for making this mod!

so, i have quite a few mods enabled currently, downloaded this mod recently, but no matter what i chose as the key for opening the UI it wouldn't work, i've tried the default keys it suggest too, "add, subtract" maybe there's a mod conflicting with the UI perhaps?
You may have autopause on, or trying to open the menu from outside the inventory. For both of those cases, the config option "Hotkey works outside inventory" has to be on.
Excuse me, this might be a bad time to ask, but how do I change the research requirement for modded items, like this 1 item is 25 to research, but should only be one. How do I to change this? Anything helps. Thank you for making this mod!
First, you need to find out the Item Tag, which can be found by turning on the "Display ItemTag on item tooltip" option of the config on. Then, write what appears in a "<ModName:ItemName>" format in the tooltip down somewhere. Then, go the ExceptionListConfig (not the trash one) and create a new entry. Write the tag in the tag slot and the value you want as max to research in the slot below. You may also add some categories, like "Boss Bag" or "Boss Summon" to find it easily afterwards. Then, either reload your mods, or toggle the "Force Reload" config option above the list on, and open the research menu in-game. It will freeze for a while, but after that, the changes are applied.

I feel like a major improvement, at least for me, would be to change the way the GUI sorts things. I feel like alphabetical causes things to be very jumbled up in the 'all' tab, and i feel like it would be nice to switch it to some other sorting system, even just an implementation of the same algorithm that the 'sort inventory' button does, or even how 1.4's journey mode sorts it's tabs.

Also, a way to favorite certain groupings so that they appear at the top would also be nice. Currently, it's a hassle to scroll all the way down just to get to weapons, considering it's one of the most useful categories, whereas categories like 'buckets' and 'dyes' (just to name a few) i would rather out of the way.

finally, just a minor gripe, but could you make it so that scrolling the menu doesn't scroll your crafting bar too? I'm perfectly fine if it's impossible or not important, but it's just kind of distracting.

also, a question: Is there a way for me to rescan for new recipes manually or for it to rescan for new recipes whenever the modlist is changed?

I feel like a major improvement, at least for me, would be to change the way the GUI sorts things. I feel like alphabetical causes things to be very jumbled up in the 'all' tab, and i feel like it would be nice to switch it to some other sorting system, even just an implementation of the same algorithm that the 'sort inventory' button does, or even how 1.4's journey mode sorts it's tabs.

Also, a way to favorite certain groupings so that they appear at the top would also be nice. Currently, it's a hassle to scroll all the way down just to get to weapons, considering it's one of the most useful categories, whereas categories like 'buckets' and 'dyes' (just to name a few) i would rather out of the way.

finally, just a minor gripe, but could you make it so that scrolling the menu doesn't scroll your crafting bar too? I'm perfectly fine if it's impossible or not important, but it's just kind of distracting.

also, a question: Is there a way for me to rescan for new recipes manually or for it to rescan for new recipes whenever the modlist is changed?
Sorting was planned to be implemented, but I have yet to start working on it. It will come eventually though. Mostly, just sort by damage, defense or group by weapons/armor/accessory/consumables.

As for the scrolling affecting the craft menu (and the hotbar), Unfortunately I have no way of fixing it. I just receive the scroll info from the mouse, as well as the other components.

As for rescanning recipes, the Research Sharing book, when right clicked, forces a rescan. You can also force a rescan by using the "Force" option in the Exception config and then opening the Research UI.

Do you think you could at the very least implement a blacklist? (aka blacklisting an item will make it no longer appear in any of the base categories but instead in a special blacklist category). I feel like there are plenty of items i just don't want to see again but I can't un-research specific items to my knowledge, and they're making loading times very slow (up to 10 seconds for the all cateogry to load)

Do you think you could at the very least implement a blacklist? (aka blacklisting an item will make it no longer appear in any of the base categories but instead in a special blacklist category). I feel like there are plenty of items i just don't want to see again but I can't un-research specific items to my knowledge, and they're making loading times very slow (up to 10 seconds for the all cateogry to load)
I considered adding such a feature, but I'm trying to only implement features that can later be ported to the official version in 1.4. That one does not allow to "un-research" as far as I could see in the code, but If enough people request it, I might try to add it anyway.

Also, new version (of both this and Rare Item Swap), that allows tooltips to be searched for in its entirety, including modded lines. This means, for example, searching for -Healer Item- from Thorium, or rogue damage type from calamity, even if they don't show up in a specific category.

V1.8.3 Changelog
- Added ability to search entire tooltip, including modded tooltips. This may slow down the tooltip search, as it is now much more complex.

Could you add an option to make all researched items worth nothing?

It wouldn't make it impossible to have infinite money but combined with automatically researching craftables it would require active effort to have infinite money and that's easy to avoid in singleplayer

Also I would say a lot of the features you've added so far are very nice and I would use this mod over the 1.4 vanilla feature
So please consider reworking this into a plugin on the 1.4 system when that rolls around

I looked around, and there is no rule for recreating content from newer versions in older versions, so I decided to make this mod.

Using my Rare Item Swap mod as a backbone, and the Journey mode Research system as a base for the content, I managed to create a working version of the Research system from Terraria 1.4 for tModLoader.

The mod adds an Hotkey that only works if the inventory is open (by default "Add"). Once you press it, you will be greeted with this screen:
View attachment 272042

Like I said before, the UI is a copy of the Rare Item Swap UI, with a twist: under the "Research Item" Slot and above the Category select is the amount of items you still need to research the item.

View attachment 272043View attachment 272044
Place an item in the Research Slot (shift-clicking will work) and then press the research button. This will add the item stack to the Researched table. If you have enough researched then...
View attachment 272045
You will research the item. The remainder will be kept safe in the Research Slot.
By default, this will also unlock all items you can craft with that item, or using that item as a crafting station. This can be disabled in the config.

In order to make it the most mod-compatible possible, this system tries to group items together and give them a token research value. By default, those are:
- Items with max stack 1 will require 1 item to research. Base values will never be higher than their max stack.
- Quest-rarity items (Quest fish and Strange plants in vanilla) have a requirement of 2 pieces.
- Coins require 100 of each, while custom currencies (as long as they are registered as a currency) take 50.
- Walls require 400.
- Acorns require 50.
- Items that placed take more than 1 tile are considered furniture, and require 1 piece.
- Exception being items whose name ends with "Crate", that require 10. This is done to make Fishing Crates require 10 of each.
- Items placeable on tables even with 1x1 size will be considered furniture, and require 1 each. This includes the Bottle.
- Platforms require 200 if they can be crafted, 20 otherwise.
- Items that place tiles ended in " Bar" require 25. This was made so that Metal bars require 25 to craft.
- Items that place tiles ended in " Seed" or " Seeds" require 25 as well.
- All other tiles require 100 each to research. This includes most building blocks, woods and others.
- Life crystals, Mana crystals and life fruits require 10 pieces to be researched.
- Fallen stars require 20
- Boss bags and Boss summon items require 3 to be researched. This mod includes an experimental feature to detect mod summon items based on use style, use time and max stack. It it not working as intended, feel free to disable it in the config.
- Critters and bait require 5.
- Dyes and dye materials require 3. It checks if it is a dye material by checking recipes results for dyes.
- Items that grant buffs (potions and food) require 20 to be researched.
- Healing and mana recovery items require 30 to research.
- Ammo and stackable weapons require either 99 or their max stack to research.
- If it doesn't fit in any other place, it requires 25 to be researched. This includes most materials and drops.

Don't like this research amounts? You can change that! The first mod config adds an option to multiply all research counts by any multiple of 0.2, so you can change the research amounts from 20% of the original to 10000% of the original. Setting this value to 0 will make all items require 1 to be researched.

Also included is a config that allows you to set custom values to items from any mod. Use this to correct items values or set them to your liking. You can also add them to any category you want as well.

Q&A
Q: Will this mod be updated when tModLoader reaches Terraria 1.4?
A: No. This mod is just for Terraria 1.3.5.x. I will make a mod that enables the recipe-based research for 1.4 however.

Q: Will you backport X feature from 1.4 as well?
A: I have no intention to backport any other feature. This includes the rest of the Journey mode powers.
Big issue(I'm assuming because I can't seem to find any detail of this being a part of the actual coding as far as I can tell): I research the items, and them when I take a researched item from the researched items menu, that item or stack of items remains in your inventory unless you trash it, regardless of removing it from inventory, restarting the game, or even placing them, if possible. Researching any blocks basically means creative mode in modded Terraria. Any stacks of blocks you take from the researched items menu stay at the stack value that you leave it, regardless of whether it's one or a full stack. Is this an intended feature, or a mistake in coding?

Big issue(I'm assuming because I can't seem to find any detail of this being a part of the actual coding as far as I can tell): I research the items, and them when I take a researched item from the researched items menu, that item or stack of items remains in your inventory unless you trash it, regardless of removing it from inventory, restarting the game, or even placing them, if possible. Researching any blocks basically means creative mode in modded Terraria. Any stacks of blocks you take from the researched items menu stay at the stack value that you leave it, regardless of whether it's one or a full stack. Is this an intended feature, or a mistake in coding?

Check the configs
It is intended, but you can disable making researched consumables infinite

Another big ask but I think it would mesh well, since you develop both this and Rare Item Swap...
could you make it (an option) so that when you research swap parts, it automatically researches all the things you can swap with those parts?

Mainly this would mean you don't have to go through each item in the shop until you have enough to research.
A cross effect could be that the parts now show as infinite (or no count display) instead of having a count associated with them in the parts bank.

But also in combination with making researched items have no gold value, this would make it so you can't sell items you produce from the swap using researched parts.

Similar systems could also be added for shop items should one ever research Vanquisher Medal or Defender's Medal etc but this would be harder to do. If you wanted to do this then I would suggest doing it in tandem whenever you are adding each mod currency support to Rare Item Swap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom