Game Mechanics Restoration Potions: Simple Problem, Simple Solution.

Un-Logic

Terrarian
Restoration potions, on use, restore 80 life and 80 mana. This seemingly handy effect is, actually, rather useless. Why? Take a healing potion, and a mana potion, now press quick heal and quick mana simultaneously. You've just healed more life than the restoration potion heals, and restored more mana with the same amount of mana sickness.

The most straightforward solution here, is the removal of mana sickness from restoration potions. Sacrifices healing for mana without a damage penalty.

They will still be rather niche, as they effectively take up 2 hotbar slots to be used properly; consumed by both quick heal and quick mana hotkeys, for optimal performance it is necessary to put pure mana and pure healing potions further up than restoration potions: pure mana, such that quick mana doesn't put your source of instantaneous healing on cooldown, and restoration potions still must be in hotbar in order to be hotkeyed to easily.

However, I believe this is a better solution than resigning them to uselessness. It would also be nice if Strange Brew did not apply mana sickness, either; lets "restoration" potions scale better, and gives a risk/reward option for mages in early pre-hardmode.

Last edited:
Developers can make these potions restore health and mana over a period of time. For example: a restoration potion heals 80 health and restores 80 mana for 20 seconds (4 hp and mp per second). During the potion sickness debuff hp and mana restoration is 2-4 times weaker, or the restoration effect disappearing after taking damage.

The key difference with Restoration Potion is the reduced cooldown time (Potion Sickness debuff). This is actually very useful at the time you can get Restoration Potions. For that, I do not agree they are useless.

Sorry, but no support. I'd rather keep Restoration Potions as they are.
Edit: Clarified in later replies.

Last edited:
The key difference with Restoration Potion is the reduced cooldown time (Potion Sickness debuff). This is actually very useful at the time you can get Restoration Potions. For that, I do not agree they are useless.

Sorry, but no support. I'd rather keep Restoration Potions as they are.

Maybe if you're lucky enough to find some pink gel at the beginning of the game, then brew some restoration potions. And even then, that's a tiny sliver of the game. Once you get normal healing potions, the reduced cooldown means nothing. Simply put, it gives less instantaneous healing (80 to 100), and the reduced cooldown still isn't enough for it to give more HP/min (96.7 to 100).

Besides, my proposed solution would simply extend the viability of Restoration Potions for one class. Is there any particular reason why not having mana sickness on restoration potions is a bad idea?

Besides, my proposed solution would simply extend the viability of Restoration Potions for one class. Is there any particular reason why not having mana sickness on restoration potions is a bad idea?
The proposal as I read it was to remove the healing factor from Restoration Potions. It is that bit I do not support. If the healing factor were retained, no concerns about any other changes.
The most straightforward solution here, is the removal of mana sickness from restoration potions. Sacrifices healing for mana without a damage penalty.

The proposal as I read it was to remove the healing factor from Restoration Potions. It is that bit I do not support. If the healing factor were retained, no concerns about any other changes.

Ah, just a misunderstanding there. What I meant was compared to normal healing potions - since restoration potions and healing potions both use the same delay, being potion sickness - if you used restoration potions you would get less healing than if you just used pure healing potions. But, you would also gain mana without mana sickness. I'm completely fine with the reduced healing delay; the last thing we need is a restoration potion nerf.

Back
Top Bottom