Items Rethinking Food - A whole new food system

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
J2zyQo_k8el86A992roewT7evJjh1SHWQMnJs3wA1KA1oLDlrl-ih6qORxnjCeOwo-asLumM2zLmtJtVkirCplFtIg8RTjx79u2SLMoREBN_dQwuY79KpeZwCtFOgpoknA
This is taking the whole idea of "food should work like weak healing items that can be used more often than Healing Potions" and turning it into something that could be integrated soundly into the game as it exists now.

Currently, all food items (with the exception of Mushrooms) serve as nothing more than means of getting the "Well Fed" buff. We don't need that many items with the same purpose. It just becomes redundant. Instead, what I propose is a synthesis between the "healing food" and "buffing food" worlds into an idea that would revolutionize what the word "Food" means in Terraria. Enough into. Let's get started.

The Basics

All food will provide small amounts of health (usually less than 30) when consumed. Eating food gives the player the Full debuff,which is sort of like Potion Sickness for Food. The Full debuff prevents the player from being able to consume food or Healing Potions. While Potion Sickness is active, food can still be consumed, but only half as often. This is to prevent healing exploits while still allowing food to grant the Well Fed buff.

full-debuff-png.136710
Full: Cannot consume any healing items.

Potion_Sickness.png
Potion Sickness: Cannot consume any Healing Potions. Doubles the duration of the Full debuff.

Different food items heal different amounts of health, and give the player the Full Debuff for different amounts of time. Additionally, some food items will provide the Well Fed buff like they currently do. In order to balance food out a bit more, different food items would have different amounts of healing-per-minute and durations of Well Fed based on how easy they are to obtain and when they are available. Currently, food progression and balance is a mess.

Food Items

This is a list of the different Food items that would be changed/added. Example/explanation is given below.

Example Food
~Notes/thoughts.
Health: # ~The amount of health restored by eating the Food item.
Full DB: #s ~The duration (in seconds) that the Full Debuff will last after eating the food item.
HP/m: # ~The amount of health restored every by eating the Food item constantly.
Well Fed: # dur. ~The duration Well Fed that the Food item provides. Min. = minutes. Sec. = seconds.
~How it's obtained.

Okay, here we go.

index.php

Sliced Mushrooms
The most basic food item. Replaces the healing effects of Mushrooms.
(Mushrooms would no longer be edible, and instead would be placeable like Glowing Mushrooms.)
Health: 3
Full DB: 12s
HP/m: 15
Recipe:
Mushroom.png
Mushroom
By hand. Recipe makes 5.

index.php

Sliced Glowing Mushrooms
This is if we want to restore the ability to eat Glowing Mushrooms for health.
Health: 5
HP/m: 25
Recipe:
Glowing_Mushroom.png
Glowing Mushroom
By hand. Recipe makes 5.

Salted Sunflower Seeds
Idea for eating Sunflower Seeds was posted by @bad_news in another thread.
Full DB: 10s
HP/m: 30
Recipe:
Sunflower Seeds (3)
By hand.

Sashimi.png

Sashimi
Since it is made at a Work Bench instead of a Cooking Pot, it is less effective than Cooked Fish.
Health: 10
Full DB: 30s
HP/m: 20
Well Fed: 1 min.
Recipe:
Trout.png
Fish
@ a Work Bench.

Marshmallow.png

Marshmallow
You can still turn them into Cooked Marshmallows, but now you can also eat them raw.
Health: 3
HP/m: 15

Cooked_Marshmallow.png

Roasted Marshmallow
They're easy to make and cheap. They shouldn't be providing such a long Well Fed buff.
And yes, I did change the name.
Full DB: 15s
HP/m: 40
Well Fed: 2 min.
* Made by roasting Marshmallows on Sticks over Camp Fires.

Cooked_Fish.png

Cooked Fish
Health: 15
Well Fed: 3 min.
Recipe:
Trout.png
Fish
@ a Cooking Pot.

Cooked_Shrimp.png

Cooked Shrimp
Can be eaten faster than Cooked Fish to add some small difference/improvement.
Full DB: 25s
HP/m: 36
Well Fed: 3 min.
Recipe:
Shrimp.png
Shrimp
@ a Cooking Pot.

Pad_Thai.png

Pad Thai
HP/m: 36
Well Fed: 4 min.
* Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant.

Bowl_of_Soup.png

Bowl of Soup
Changed recipe to require Sliced Mushrooms. Also reduced buff time to fit better into Food progression.
Health: 20
Well Fed: 5 min.
Recipe:
Bowl.png
Bowl
Goldfish.png
Goldfish
Sliced Mushrooms (5)
@ a Cooking Pot.

Pho.png

Pho
Well Fed: 7 min.
* Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant.

Corncob
Based on a suggestion by Baconfry in another thread.
Health: 30
Full DB: 45s
Well Fed: 2 min.
* Harvested from Corn Stalks.

Popcorn
Altered version of a suggestion by Baconfry in another thread.
Health: 2
Full DB: 4s
Well Fed: 15 sec.
Recipe:
* Corncob
@ a Furnace. Recipe makes 15.

Candy_Corn.png

Candy Corn
No longer just ammo, but now festive goodies perfect for munching on.
Full DB: 10s
HP/min: 30
Well Fed: 15s
* Sold by the Merchant during the Halloween season, or at night during a New/Full Moon.
* Found in Goodie Bags in stacks of 10-40.
* Crafted with Corn Syrup. (Baconfry's thread strikes again!)

Rotten_Chunk.png

Rotten Chunk
Let’s make it edible. Why not? It does look tasty, after all.
Gives the Weakness debuff for 1 minute when consumed.
Full DB: 50s
HP/m: 12
* Dropped by Corrupt enemies.

<F for the fallen images from TO>
Cured Meat
Cleansed Rotten Chunks that are safe to eat.
HP/m: 20
Recipe:
Rotten_Chunk.png
Rotten Chunk
Purification_Powder.png
Purification Powder
By hand.

Grilled Meat
The superfood of Corruption worlds. Heals health quickly and provides Well Fed.
Health: 50
Full DB: 40s
HP/m: 75
Well Fed: 6 min.
Recipe:
Cured Meat
Sliced Mushrooms (5)
@ a Furnace.

Gelatin
The superfood of Crimson worlds. Heals health quickly and provides Well Fed.
Health: 40
HP/m: 80
Well Fed: 6 min.
Recipe:
Gel.png
Gel (20)
Vertebrae.png
Vertebrae
Purification_Powder.png
Purification Powder
@ a Cooking Pot.

Pumpkin_Pie.png

Pumpkin Pie
Reduced the Well Fed buff duration, but now heals faster than Lesser Healing Potions.
Health: 45
Full DB: 45s
HP/s: 60
Well Fed: 12 min.
Recipe:
Pumpkin (10)
@ a Furnace.

Fried Fish
The most efficient way of getting a long-term Well Fed debuff.
Suggestion made by Baconfry in another thread.
Well Fed: 15 min.
Recipe:
Trout.png
Fish
* Vegetable Oil
@ a Fryer.

Tempura Shrimp
The Shrimp equivalent of Fried Fish.
Suggestion made by Baconfry in another thread.
HP/m: 48
Well Fed: 15 min.
Recipe:
Shrimp.png
Shrimp
* Vegetable Oil
@ a Fryer.

Sugar_Cookie.png
Gingerbread_Cookie.png
Christmas_Pudding.png

Christmas Goodies
Health: 25
HP/m: 50
Well Fed: 10 min.
* Found in Presents during the Holiday season.

~~~

How did I do this time? Let me know! Feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm loving every part of this idea and the base concept. You've not only suggested this idea, you've also created a whole new list of food items to snack on. If I were a developer, something like this would be a high priority on a to-do list.

I could see this being used as a thing to save on potions while caving where potions aren't necessary. I Like this suggestion, even though I thought it was going to be another hunger suggestion XD

Can I just say that this is my favorite suggestion of yours? I still like the Power Tools thing, but that's just a small convenience, while this is amazing. +1 support.

I'm only biased towards SzGamer227 making good suggestions as I'm biased towards a red tap giving warm water.
There are a ton of people making suggestions, but him and Baconfry are just getting a ton of supports. Not like their suggestions are bad, not at all, they've earned such a good rep that people will just like the thread when they see their name, like you did. I mean, the majority of their suggestions are epic, but still.

There are a ton of people making suggestions, but him and Baconfry are just getting a ton of supports. Not like their suggestions are bad, not at all, they've earned such a good rep that people will just like the thread when they see their name, like you did. I mean, the majority of their suggestions are epic, but still.
I don't think you realize that Persecutor is coding SZ's mod.....

I love it! something that might be interesting would be the addition of wheat,leading to the addition of bread, cake, and so on.

this has got to be one of the most cool suggestions i've seen in a while. in one way, it is very simple, and in another way, it is clearly well thought out. i see a great deal of potential here, and i like it. you have my full support :D

Nah, it seems a bit boring to me. I don't think I'd use these, I always forget about them anyway.

I'd prefer the foods to give different potion effects, just they don't last as long. Maybe a food that gives a random buff for 1 min? Then it'd be a lot more interesting IMO.

I like the idea! It all kind of reminds me of the cooking system from the Paper Mario series.

It's well thought out, and would work pretty well I think.

Also, you should be able to glaze things like Mushrooms, Grilled Meat, or a Roasted Mushroom with Bottles of Honey :p

Back
Top Bottom