NPCs & Enemies Revamping Event; Blood Moon

Muteness

Terrarian
Sources of images and credit to the people who originally brought this to my attention on Reddit are EinsGotdemar with their post "(Mod Concept) Blood Giant Miniboss" and Jestexe who responded with "Blood Giant miniboss".

divider.png

Despite the original premise being for a mod the vanilla Blood Moon is feels both lack luster as an event worth clearing post acquiring the Money Trough and the only change to in after Hardmode begins is the addition of Clowns. The whole thing is lacking drops and purpose, but a mini boss could change all that making this something more worthwhile, being available when Hardmode begins and naturally this would include a summoning item for either the event or most likely the boss itself to bring it up to par.

Now some may ask why it needs changing at all and to that I reply just compare it to every other event, they all have their own mini bosses like Slime Rain having King Slime, Goblin Army - Goblin Summoner, Solar Eclipse - Mothron, Pirate Invasion - Flying Dutchman, Martian Madness - Martian Saucer, and I shouldn't even need to mention the other two moons Pumpkin/Frost.
divider.png

Normally I'd list out and present some fairly well prepared ideas with recommendations, sometimes tossing in alternative options, however in this case I'd like to try something different by trying to source some suggestions from you guys. I'm sure that asking for Blood Moon improvements or additions isn't anything new but I think it's been long enough now, this being post 1.3, the Moon Lord added as a last boss, all these wiring improvements, the game is finally coming round to being near finished in many respects, hence that revisiting things that logically are missing stuff is what the team would focus on next.

Now then, let's get onto the meat of this thread; the Bloody Boss!
Please remember that all the following are works in progress, if you disagree with something then please state so, perhaps you can help improve upon it.

Possible Names: (to be decided)

Type: Boss
Environment: Blood Moon (Hardmode)
AI Type: (unique) A.I.
Damage: ??? (will list ranges between X & Y values based upon popular consensus)
Max Life: ??? (will list ranges between X & Y values based upon popular consensus)
Defence: ??? (will list ranges between X & Y values based upon popular consensus)
Knock Back Resist: (uncertain if this should be 100% or not)
Possible Drops:
No ideas suggested yet

Current list of possible boss details:
Appearance:
Would look something similar to a Blood Zombie but with a few changed characteristics and be quite notably bigger.

Behaviour:
This Boss would appear during a Blood Moon after the player has slayed a certain number of zombies (much like the King Slime during Slime Rain), after which a one time message (per event) would appear informing players that the fight is intensifying. However, unlike the King Slime multiple of these can appear during the same event but only one can be be present at any given time like the Flying Dutchman/Martian Saucer. Whilst one is alive the spawn rate of Blood Zombie will be dramatically higher.

The mini boss moves slowly, relying on ranged attacks in the form of throwing zombie themed projectiles made of severed limbs at players, if players draw in too close it will show a brief animation for winding-up an attack, after which it will swing rapidly with fast attacks using long arms for about 3 to 5 times, melee attacks also let off large blobs of blood in random directions that deal contact damage.

Each time the the boss loses ⅓ [⅕ in Expert] the boss will display an animation of melting into a compact pile before bursting out into a group of Blood Zombies, the boss being hidden amounts them in disguise. Whilst hiding in this form all Blood Zombies become enraged, gaining increased movement speed and jump height as well as inflicting increased damage. After the boss-specific zombie has had its health depleted it will quickly regain its size and continue with before's attack patterns but will have gained a small amount of armour, movement and attack speed.

Notes:
This boss has high chances to inflict Bleeding and Penetrated debuffs with each attack during it large form, this boss is the first non-player enemy to inflict the Penetrated debuff, the only other source of this being the Bone Javelin. Whilst suffering the penetrated debuff from its attacks the player will have a viable sprite of bone-like sticks covered in red blotches sticking out of them where they were hit.
Thanks for reading.

Edit 1
Updated presentation and made the annotations detailing where images came from a little clearer

Last edited:
I like it! A lot of details, and I thing the damage, defense, etc could be found by slightly increasing the king slime's stats. :D

Here are some stats that I am thinking-

• Health- 1700 I think it should always turn to second form at 25% health, so that would be 425.)
  • Damage- (Projectiles- 20-40) (Melee- 32-48) (Blobs of Blood (From melee attack)- 38-56) Damage increases as time goes on.
  • 100% Knockback Resistance
I think it would be nice for it to have some drops. if you can't think of any, I will try to think of some. But overall, I COMPLETELY support this idea! And BTW, nice sprite! Did you make that yourself? Because if you did, you are very talented! Great job regardless! :D

Back
Top Bottom