Weapons & Equip Revamping Pre-hardmode Ore armour.

Generic poll #27

• I love these ideas/ if implemented I will immediately go and make some ore armour.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • I do like the concept, but I feel that they could be balanced a bit better.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I think you've made them too overpowered and they need a nerf.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I like spending tons of bars for a little bit of defence!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Plus, you need gold/platinum or better to mine meteorite. And while this is just armor, I usually go for armor along with the pickaxe.
I highly recommend using bombs to get meteor armour + space gun, then defeating the eater of worlds or brain of cthulhu and getting the pickaxe then.
It'll be better for newer players.
These small improvements won't matter as soon as the "newer players" get a good pre-hardmode armour.
These small improvements won't even make a noticeable difference even before this point.
Besides, for newer players pre-hardmode is very straightforward and easy, what we should try to do is improve early hardmode gear as the mech bosses are often too difficult for newer players.

I highly recommend using bombs to get meteor armour + space gun, then defeating the eater of worlds or brain of cthulhu and getting the pickaxe then.

These small improvements won't matter as soon as the "newer players" get a good pre-hardmode armour.
These small improvements won't even make a noticeable difference even before this point.
Besides, for newer players pre-hardmode is very straightforward and easy, what we should try to do is improve early hardmode gear as the mech bosses are often too difficult for newer players.
Regardless, this would still be helpful early game.

If you don't like to use this armor, then don't use it. Let's just agree to disagree.
"Agreeing to disagree" is pretty pointless considering that this is a forum that relies on active debate. Also, you were the one that brought the argument up first.
However if you truly wish, we can both agree that we have different opinions: I believe that this change would be detrimental to the game, whereas you believe the opposite.

Don't forget the armours have been made much cheaper as well, so players could get them much more quickly.

Also not everyone plays at the same pace, newer players can spend way more that 1-3 hours pre boss, and are unlikely to enter the Crimson/Corruption that early. Plus even though the buffs are miniscule, they'd still attract newer players.

Also this idea does no harm, it just makes the ore armours a little more useful for those that use them. If you don't use them then that's fine, this idea would have no impact on you whatsoever.

I've never had much problems with hardmode gear, though I guess the original ore armours could use a buff.

So really the entire the entire point of this is to make the pre-hardmode ore armour more appealing, and since you love to tall about the meteorite armour how about I nerf it and move it later in progression
not everyone goes for it right of the bat, I never use it and I skip to Crimson armour.

Last edited:
Don't forget the armours have been made much cheaper as well, so players could get them much more quickly.

Also not everyone plays at the same pace, newer players can spend way more that 1-3 hours pre boss, and are unlikely to enter the Crimson/Corruption that early. Plus even though the buffs are miniscule, they'd still attract newer players.

Also this idea does no harm, it just makes the ore armours a little more useful for those that use them. If you don't use them then that's fine, this idea would have no impact on you whatsoever.

I've never had much problems with hardmode gear, though I guess the original ore armours could use a buff.

So really the entire the entire point of this is to make the pre-hardmode ore armour more appealing, and since you love to tall about the meteorite armour how about I nerf it and move it later in progression
not everyone goes for it right of the bat, I never use it and I skip to Crimson armour.
These buffs do have a major harm though--giving pre-hardmode metal armour sets bonuses other than defense isn't a good idea, as it makes no sense whatsoever.
Why should copper armour give you +6% melee speed? Why should iron armour give you +6% damage? Why should silver give you +6% critical damage?
It's okay for magical armours made of magical materials to give you set bonuses, but realistic armours made of real materials shouldn't give you magical set bonuses.
Adding a feature like that makes Terraria less polished--adding a stain to an otherwise perfect (nearly) game.

Okay, maybe the defense of armours could be increased a bit. I guess that wouldn't have too much of an impact. I don't really care about that change.

It could be okay to reduce the cost, but reducing it to 24-40 ingots? The cheapest armour in the game requires 45 bars. If you reduce the cost of these armours, you have to reduce the cost of every other armour set in the game--which I guess you could do, but then you'd have to seriously look at rebalancing.

Why should copper armour give you +6% melee speed? Why should iron armour give you +6% damage? Why should silver give you +6% critical damage?
It's okay for magical armours made of magical materials to give you set bonuses, but realistic armours made of real materials shouldn't give you magical set bonuses.
Well I only added the bonuses to the original ore armours so they have something the alternate ores do not, the alternate ores have more raw defence and the originals have the extra stats to make up for it. Also since when does Terraria need to be realistic? Can sunflowers stop corruption in real life? Titanium is a real metal, so why should that allow you to have a shadow dodge buff?

Also what about pumpkin armour? By your logic that shouldn't give a +10% damage buff, as pumpkins don't increase your damage in real life.

Perhaps the set bonuses are a little unnecessary, but I wanted them to be more appealing than the alternate ores as currently they're better in every way.

Don't forget these are very early game armours, and during that time you mine very slowly and gathering lots of bars takes a lot of time, so having a low bar requirement makes more sense, though perhaps they are a little too low.

As for the set bonuses I thought it would sort of suit the armours, iron being strong and heavy would allow you to deal more damage, silver armour looks like a speed suit so would increase movement speed, and gold usually has magical powers in games hence the critical chance, and I suppose for copper I just gave it melee speed because it's probably the least useful.

Last edited:
lol, asking why certain armors give certain set bonuses is the dumbest thing you could possibly do.
May I ask why meteor rocks power your magic damage? Or as Storm as already said, why titanium, a real thing, gives you shadow dodge? Or why do turtle shells boost my melee damage? Why do mushrooms boost ranged damage?

Hello again Ladies, Gentlemen, Derplings, Cubes, Face Monsters ect… I am here once again to propose an idea that will most likely never be added, but I’ll put some effort into it anyway.

Now don’t you think that the current amount of bars required to craft the pre-hardmode ore armour is too much?
Armour Tier
Part
Old Bar requirement
New bar requirement
Copper armor female.png Copper armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Tin armor female.png Tin armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Iron armor female.png Iron armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Lead armor female.png Lead armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Silver armor female.pngSilver armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Tungsten armor female.png Tungsten armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Gold armor female.png Gold armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Platinum armor female.png Platinum armor.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Total:

All bar requirements are now fewer than half of what they used to be which should make them slightly more viable.

Now that’s not the only thing I’m proposing to be changed, I also feel the defence values and set bonuses could be tweaked a little;
Armour
Part
Old defence
New defence
New Set bonus
Copper armor.png Copper armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-
+6% melee speed​
Tin armor.png Tin armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-​
Iron armor.png Iron armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-
+6% damage​
Lead armor.png Lead armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-​
Silver armor.png Silver armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-
+6% movement speed​
Tungsten armor.png Tungsten armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-​
Gold armor.png Gold armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-
+6% critical chance​
Platinum armor.pngPlatinum armor female.png
Helmet:
Chestplate:
Greaves:
Set bonus:
Total:
-​

As you can see that while the alternate ores have 4 extra greater defence, the originals have a different set bonus to compensate.

Let’s give some love to these four forgotten armour sets;
Armour
Part
Old defence
New defence
New set bonus
Rain armor equipped (male)
Rain armor equipped (female)
Hat:
Coat:
Total:
Bonus: Increased movement speed by 15% when out in the rain.​
Eskimo armor.pngEskimo armor female.png / Pink Eskimo armor.pngPink Eskimo armor female.png
Hood:
Coat:
Pants:
Total:
Bonus: 10% reduced damage from cold themed enemies​
Gladiator armor.pngGladiator armor female.png
Helmet:
Breastplate:
Greaves:
Total:
Helmet: +5% Ranged damage
Breastplate: +5% ranged critical chance
Greaves: +10% movement speed
Bonus: 10% chance not to consume ammo​
Obsidian armor.pngObsidian armor female.png
Hat:
Longcoat:
Pants:
Total:
Bonus: Greatly reduced damage from lava, immunity to burning.​

Well that’s all for now, I know these probably won’t be making any of you want to craft them, as let’s face it we all skip these armour sets, but perhaps they’ll be more useful for newer players.

So what do you all think of these improvements? Should they be buffed further, are the crafting recipes still too expensive? Please let me know :dryadsmile:
copper is pretty much useless why did they make it if it was only strong as wood?

Back
Top Bottom