PC Revealing the Map WITHOUT Cheating(No Map Viewers, Exploits, etc.)

Hello, everyone! I have a very specific question, so bear with me here.

When looking at a map of a Terrarian world, a lot if not most of the map is covered in black as a 'fog', as it were. Looking around for a solution for how to erase this fog blocking the map, one will find very scarce resources explaining how to do it. Looking it up online will bring up results of map viewers, but I want to play the game, not cheat my way through.

I have figured out a method to do this with, but it's pretty tedious to do. Flying around the map to reveal the skybox is easy enough with some equipment, but revealing the underground sections can be a daunting task. As stated in the title, I want to reveal the map 'legally', in a manner of speaking. I am looking for any items that can shower a lot of particles into walls to light up the map. I'll list some items I use right now. If you have good items to suggest, let me know, but if you could please refrain from spoiling too much with your responses. I'm around early Hardmode, as you'll see.

****SPOILERS****

The most recent boss I've defeated was Golem after beating Plantera. I have an Ancient Horn, a Spooky Hook, and a Rod of Discord, as well as miscellaneous items to help like the Super Absorbent Sponge. I have a clemtaminator, which reveals a considerable amount, but still doesn't reveal it SUPER clearly.
My primary method of revealing/lighting up the map is using the Rod of Discord to warp into different parts of caves without the hassle of breaking all of the walls, using my grappling hook, and spamming the Quick Mount button. With the momentum built up from the grappling hook, the particles emitted from my mount spray in one direction through the wall, revealing it, even though the mount does not spawn when using a grappling hook.
My secondary method is a regular bow with no additional arrow transforming effects(i.e. Bees Knees) and Jester Arrows, which can get a little costly and time consuming to make. As you can tell, this is a bit of an arduous task, and revealing the whole map like this would take a long time.

Has anyone asked about this kind of question before? I'm new to this game, so I was wondering if anyone else was a little frustrated with this like I am. Here are reference images.
Terraria_Reveal_1.png
Terraria_Reveal_2.png

As you see here , the particles jettisoned into the wall to the top left erases the dense black fog cleanly, without a grey, translucent fog in its place afterwards(ignore the odd lines here and there. Those are from one of my summons).

Just some weapons that I know glow thorough blocks,
Solar eruptuon
Zenith
Maybe the stardust dragon.
Hmmmmmmm I dunno about anything else, if you just want to you could get a different character with weapons like that to reveal the map, it wouldn’t be considered cheating depending on the person, but just because you are revealing the map nothing quite really

Just some weapons that I know glow thorough blocks,
Solar eruptuon
Zenith
Maybe the stardust dragon.
Hmmmmmmm I dunno about anything else, if you just want to you could get a different character with weapons like that to reveal the map, it wouldn’t be considered cheating depending on the person, but just because you are revealing the map nothing quite really
The celebration (not mk2, mk1) can reveal a lot of the map.

I'm glad for your responses! I didn't think I'd get any. I'm also glad I asked this in Game Mechanics, this seems like an issue that should get at least a little more attention, but it's not that big of a deal. After all, once revealed, a part of the map can't be covered again(As far as I know thus far). I'll look up those items and try to make it work, thank you for your recommendations.

(P.S. The Zenith? Really??? I can't even craft that friggin' thing yet!)

I'm glad for your responses! I didn't think I'd get any. I'm also glad I asked this in Game Mechanics, this seems like an issue that should get at least a little more attention, but it's not that big of a deal. After all, once revealed, a part of the map can't be covered again(As far as I know thus far). I'll look up those items and try to make it work, thank you for your recommendations.

(P.S. The Zenith? Really??? I can't even craft that friggin' thing yet!)
It’s called builders workshop.... lol I knew that I said you could get a different character it wouldn’t be considered cheating if it is just revealing map(then again it has to be same character lol)
I think the celebration is now post golem, and is bought from an Npc don’t remember which one.

If the unrevealed area is underneath you, ultrabright torches drop particles all the way to the bottom of the screen when removed. My go-to trick is spamming place/remove ultrabright torches to shower sparks down. Can work with bone torches too, but not as bright.

As an addendum, having all of the map revealed will briefly hang your game whenever you enter that world, so maybe revealing the whole world is not such a good idea.

Try the spooky tree pet, it shoots fire when is flying, so you make him enters in orbit (like earth and moon, but you aee the moon) the fire left by him will do something to the fog

Hello, everyone! I have a very specific question, so bear with me here.

When looking at a map of a Terrarian world, a lot if not most of the map is covered in black as a 'fog', as it were. Looking around for a solution for how to erase this fog blocking the map, one will find very scarce resources explaining how to do it. Looking it up online will bring up results of map viewers, but I want to play the game, not cheat my way through.

I have figured out a method to do this with, but it's pretty tedious to do. Flying around the map to reveal the skybox is easy enough with some equipment, but revealing the underground sections can be a daunting task. As stated in the title, I want to reveal the map 'legally', in a manner of speaking. I am looking for any items that can shower a lot of particles into walls to light up the map. I'll list some items I use right now. If you have good items to suggest, let me know, but if you could please refrain from spoiling too much with your responses. I'm around early Hardmode, as you'll see.

****SPOILERS****

The most recent boss I've defeated was Golem after beating Plantera. I have an Ancient Horn, a Spooky Hook, and a Rod of Discord, as well as miscellaneous items to help like the Super Absorbent Sponge. I have a clemtaminator, which reveals a considerable amount, but still doesn't reveal it SUPER clearly.
My primary method of revealing/lighting up the map is using the Rod of Discord to warp into different parts of caves without the hassle of breaking all of the walls, using my grappling hook, and spamming the Quick Mount button. With the momentum built up from the grappling hook, the particles emitted from my mount spray in one direction through the wall, revealing it, even though the mount does not spawn when using a grappling hook.
My secondary method is a regular bow with no additional arrow transforming effects(i.e. Bees Knees) and Jester Arrows, which can get a little costly and time consuming to make. As you can tell, this is a bit of an arduous task, and revealing the whole map like this would take a long time.

Has anyone asked about this kind of question before? I'm new to this game, so I was wondering if anyone else was a little frustrated with this like I am. Here are reference images.View attachment 301095. View attachment 301096
As you see here , the particles jettisoned into the wall to the top left erases the dense black fog cleanly, without a grey, translucent fog in its place afterwards(ignore the odd lines here and there. Those are from one of my summons).
Sorry, that I answered so late, but I know a perfect way to erase this black fog. With this way I revealed the whole desert. It's a Flying Dragon sword with cursed flask, and a trippy color settings. Flying Dragon Is a sword that is gotten from Betsy.

Back
Top Bottom