PC Ridiculously Small Player Above Sensor Engine

MappyGaming

Plantera
So @ZeroGravitas gave me a hint of this ridiculously small and easy-to-build engine. It can generate 60 acts/s, just like the dummy hoik engine.

Note: use clockwise when you want to put the sensor on your right, and counter-clockwise when left.

Sorry if this has been already found and discussed somewhere else. It's so tough to find a certain article nowadays:(
Also, anyone care to name this engine?

Last edited:
This design is fairly cool as the screen shake is near minimal, compared to player hoik engine, although no accessibility advantage over dummy engines.

There's other little player engines that are possible with (sloped) conveyor(s) and (regular) pressure plates. Not 60act/s, but pretty fast. See who can figure it/them out first (if some here haven't already). :)
[doublepost=1465579897,1465579756][/doublepost]
I'd dub it the 'vibro-conveyor' engine
I might go with the "hokey-cokey" engine (you know - "in, out, in, out, shake it all about..."). ;)

ahh yes I accidentally did something like this while working on something.. Mine is vertical though.
9630cef64c.png

a8fd2a13e4.png

Although I think yours is way faster since mine replies on the player falling.

There's other little player engines that are possible with (sloped) conveyor(s) and (regular) pressure plates. Not 60act/s, but pretty fast. See who can figure it/them out first (if some here haven't already). :)
I tried making one...
this is what I came up with:
Capture 2016-06-10 14_30_14.png
Capture 2016-06-10 14_30_19.png

The conveyor belts push you to the middle but something about where the platform is placed makes the player jump up and down.
The player sensor is also activated... don't ask how I came up with this. It just happens to people.

ahh yes I accidentally did something like this while working on something.. Mine is vertical though.
9630cef64c.png

a8fd2a13e4.png
Good thinking. And this can be combined with fall damage invulnerability machine, if you put a lot of sensors vertically.

It also works with a weighted Pressure Plate close to the conveyor belt instead of sensor. Could be 60 acts/s as well and is cheaper.
Ah, weighted pressure plates had completely slipped my mind. It's much better! Now I don't have to worry about accidentally activating something when flying above (under) it. Thank you!:happy:

I'd dub it the 'vibro-conveyor' engine, since it uses conveyors and looks like you're vibrating.
I might go with the "hokey-cokey" engine (you know - "in, out, in, out, shake it all about..."). ;)
Then how about "hokey-cokey-vibro engine"? ... NO?

Mine is vertical though.
9630cef64c.png
Ironically, I think if you make the actuated blocks square (instead of up-hoiks) it should instantly 'step-up'/step-down the player. I hadn't thought of that (in conjunction with player sensors). Wonder if that will work with weighted plates too...? I'd used a single actuated up hoik tooth adjacent to a weighted plate, to make a super-simple engine. You can adjust the repeat speed by changing the height of the up hoik tooth too, and/or where on it's slope you stand (small horizontal off-set).

I tested it with a weighted pressure plate on the left and right side of the conveyor belt (only one of them conected to the belt). With this you can do 120 acts/s. But you need to care about your first activation, sometimes it does only 60 or a bit more. It always worked for me if I init the plate which is conected with the belt first.

Last edited:
I tested it with a weighted pressure plate on the left and right side of the conveyor belt (only one of them conected to the belt). With this you can do 120 acts/s. But you need to care about your first activation, sometimes it does only 60 or a bit more. It always worked for me if I init the plate which is conected with the belt first.
I actually tested it too when I found it, but I doubted the result and decided to ignore it. Can Terraria actually generate 120 acts/s? I heard somewhere that we can't press multiple pressure plates per tick. Or weighted pressure plate is an exception?

I actually tested it too when I found it, but I doubted the result and decided to ignore it. Can Terraria actually generate 120 acts/s? I heard somewhere that we can't press multiple pressure plates per tick. Or weighted pressure plate is an exception?
Not sure. Would be 2 acts/frame. I did a short test. The bit counter don't work twice as fast if you step on two normal plates at the same time but with two weighted plates it works. So there are might be an exception.
It also works with two 1sec timer, which where activated at the same time. Might work with 3, 4 or 5. With this you might activate 60 groups of 1sec timer with 1 frame delay and get group_Size * 60 acts/s. Could be 240, 480 960, .. oO. Works at least for a bit counter. A problem might be how to connect all these timers properly.
You know the maximal amount of timers at the same time?

Last edited:
Can Terraria actually generate 120 acts/s? I heard somewhere that we can't press multiple pressure plates per tick. Or weighted pressure plate is an exception?
Yeah, weighted plates have new detection mechanics, in place to ensure they are always in the correct phase, I guess. Regular plates are just once per tick (expect teal plates are unlimited per tick, well max 1k projectiles, globally). But you can trigger/un-trigger as many weighted plates as you can overlap and I think you would even be able to trigger an unlimited number, per tick, via unlimited teleporter-logic-gate chaining, except that the weighted plates mysterious interrupt the chains (for me anyway).

"Hokey-Pokey" you mean?
Nah, that would be something else entirely! ;) (English/US difference, I think.)

made this so i could gain invincibility while generating mana from crabs while also using less dummy ghosts
it's much slower than 60 acts/second but it got the job done
if my reasoning is correct, it's somewhere between 6-10 a/s
Capture 2017-01-03 22_25_34.png

Back
Top Bottom