Items Right-clicking with Magic Mirror teleports you back

If added, should this feature be implemented into the vanilla Magic Mirror, or a crafted upgrade?

• Total voters
But holding down the left arrow key and spacebar doesn’t take much work, does it? Yes, it takes time, but there is no effort involved. I can even look away from the screen.

“Time spent” and “effort spent” are not the same thing.
Yes, but time gives you the same rewarding feeling as effort. I sat in the dungeon, barely doing anything for 2 hours until I got the Nazar. It was the best feeling ever when I got it.

Perhaps this function could have something to do with the recall potion to bring it back into usefulness? For instance, you could fuel the upgraded MM with recalls like a gun with ammo: one potion for one jump.

It would be somewhat more costly, but it could be a good balancing factor and would most definitely make recall potions more (or at all) used after obtaining a mirror.

Also, if you enjoy traveling manually back to where you magic mirrored away from you could still do so, no matter what form this function might take. As I like to say/think; the more options the player has the better!

Yes, but time gives you the same rewarding feeling as effort. I sat in the dungeon, barely doing anything for 2 hours until I got the Nazar. It was the best feeling ever when I got it.
Not everyone feels happy for grinding for a specific drop, and sure, you might feel awesome for finally building the cellphone for the first time, but when you decide to play the game again from a new world with a new character, having to grind for all of those materials again just feels more aggravating. And for me, it seems the drop rate lowers based on how badly I want that item in the first place. (Killing the Queen Bee ten times to get my favorite early-game weapon, anyone?)
Yeah, we could lay down thousands of stacks of wiring to get to every place we could want to go, or create elaborate hoik paths to get us somewhere, but all too often, at least for me, I just feel like all I've done is spend hours for the sake of a minor convenience, especially when one method requires a lot of money, and the other has a rather steep learning curve if you want to make anything impressive with it.
A limited return to your original location item would be immensely useful, yes, and it does need some consideration for how early and how late to put it into the game, but it shouldn't come so late that you'll never really need it. (And let's be honest, people are going to be tempted to give the item to a new character on a new game just to make exploration easier.)
Some time after hardmode begins is a good point in my opinion, though obtaining it after you reach the Underworld would also be a good spot, primarily because you can't use it to cheese the Wall of Flesh and its use would allow for getting out of the Underworld quickly, healing up, depositing treasure, and going back. Maybe locked in a shadow chest. Another option would be to make it an ability native to the cell phone, technically available as soon as hardmode starts, but difficult to acquire. (Arguably, this would also reduce its effectiveness as a tool of exploration.)

I think the only thing that needs to be added to this is that the 'recall back' functionality should pretty much be disabled during boss fights. Luiafk has an item that does exactly this and it makes bossing really easy, provided you put a nurse in the proper biome as to not enrage the boss and put your spawn there. One can pretty much do all the bosses by simply teleporting to the spawn, healing with nurse, then tping back for basically a free no-cooldown full health regen. I managed to do pretty much all of the Calamity mod pre-moon lord Death Mode bosses this way, so that does kind of say something. It's actually even more busted in multiplayer but focusing balancing on multiplayer first seems problematic to me.

I think the only thing that needs to be added to this is that the 'recall back' functionality should pretty much be disabled during boss fights. Luiafk has an item that does exactly this and it makes bossing really easy, provided you put a nurse in the proper biome as to not enrage the boss and put your spawn there. One can pretty much do all the bosses by simply teleporting to the spawn, healing with nurse, then tping back for basically a free no-cooldown full health regen. I managed to do pretty much all of the Calamity mod pre-moon lord Death Mode bosses this way, so that does kind of say something. It's actually even more busted in multiplayer but focusing balancing on multiplayer first seems problematic to me.
In which case the Nurse is the real problem, no? I can see how it may be necessary to disable "recall back" for the game in its current state, but if the Nurse gets reworked in the future (which she should, and probably will), then we might not have to make any additional changes to the (upgraded) Magic Mirror.

If I look back at it. I honestly see too much abusal methods in it that changes the gameplay style too much, which does not please me:

- Instead of a piggy bank/Safe. You're basically moving your entire home storage with you, just warp home. Get what you need. And warp back.
- If you want to remove enemy spawns during grinding. Warp to home and back to the grind session.
- During boss fights. If one's on low health. They can teleport to the nurse and then releport back before the boss has time to despawn. This is already possible (especially in multiplayer). But with this magic mirror it'll only encourage/simplify the tactic. As it can be used anywhere without needing to build a "Nurse Camp".
- The whole "prepare for a long adventure trip" seems to become pointless then. If you're out of ammo, you can warp back and restock. If you're having a full inventory. You can warp back, empty and resume. If you get an annoying debuff, just warp back and heal up. If you're forgetting something. You'll just warp back. Get it and resume.
There won't be any "homecoming" session and I think that'll be a thing I'll miss out. Maybe that's to make the gameplay more convenient and allows you to continue in one go. But I think this shouldn't become a thing.

I understand the former intention to improve the Quality of Life. But there's a lot more bound to change rather than just the tedious trip after returning home. And I wonder if it's possible to avoid this kind of abusal.

If I look back at it. I honestly see too much abusal methods in it that changes the gameplay style too much, which does not please me:

- Instead of a piggy bank/Safe. You're basically moving your entire home storage with you, just warp home. Get what you need. And warp back.
- If you want to remove enemy spawns during grinding. Warp to home and back to the grind session.
- During boss fights. If one's on low health. They can teleport to the nurse and then releport back before the boss has time to despawn. This is already possible (especially in multiplayer). But with this magic mirror it'll only encourage/simplify the tactic. As it can be used anywhere without needing to build a "Nurse Camp".
- The whole "prepare for a long adventure trip" seems to become pointless then. If you're out of ammo, you can warp back and restock. If you're having a full inventory. You can warp back, empty and resume. If you get an annoying debuff, just warp back and heal up. If you're forgetting something. You'll just warp back. Get it and resume.
There won't be any "homecoming" session and I think that'll be a thing I'll miss out. Maybe that's to make the gameplay more convenient and allows you to continue in one go. But I think this shouldn't become a thing.

I understand the former intention to improve the Quality of Life. But there's a lot more bound to change rather than just the tedious trip after returning home. And I wonder if it's possible to avoid this kind of abusal.
None of what you said is wrong; this is indeed a large gameplay change. I think it’s okay to make big changes sometimes, but I also understand that this is not something that everyone can mindlessly agree to.

To be fair it seems like this will be an early-to-mid hardmode item, so players will still have to finish about half of the game planning for their adventures and managing their inventory as they have before.

I’ve been thinking about introducing a tradeoff, so people won’t just use it carelessly. Maybe it should be usable only once every in-game day. This makes it kind of like Runescape’s Lumbridge home teleport: still convenient, but not abusable.

None of what you said is wrong; this is indeed a large gameplay change. I think it’s okay to make big changes sometimes, but I also understand that this is not something that everyone can mindlessly agree to.

To be fair it seems like this will be an early-to-mid hardmode item, so players will still have to finish about half of the game planning for their adventures and managing their inventory as they have before.

I’ve been thinking about introducing a tradeoff, so people won’t just use it carelessly. Maybe it should be usable only once every in-game day. This makes it kind of like Runescape’s Lumbridge home teleport: still convenient, but not abusable.
That sounds certainely interesting. Though it's difficult to theorise how it will work on the long run. And if it's not weird that the first option can be used all the time. While the second one only once in a time. But I don't think that's too much of an issue.

(Runescape, that's been a while...)

weird that the first option can be used all the time. While the second one only once in a time.
I guess it would be a bit weird if those two functions were on the same item. Maybe it would be less weird if the return teleport was done through a furniture item (like a mirror pool) rather than another mirror. I know the Enchanted Sundial has a cooldown so maybe it would be easier to implement a cooldown if it were done this way.

Seems too powerful for the MM. They could restrict the ability to the cellphone, as a reward for all the money and grind.
[doublepost=1554293149,1554293104][/doublepost]
I guess it would be a bit weird if those two functions were on the same item. Maybe it would be less weird if the return teleport was done through a furniture item (like a mirror pool) rather than another mirror. I know the Enchanted Sundial has a cooldown so maybe it would be easier to implement a cooldown if it were done this way.
This is good too, we need more active non-wiring related furniture items.

Back
Top Bottom