Map-Adventure R'lyeh Nexus

Feistygandhi

The Destroyer
Update:
As of February 28th, 2021, R'lyeh Nexus has been updated for Journey's End! Of course, I'll still change/add stuff as it comes to my attention, but it should be a pretty stable build by now.

If you're interested, you can check it out here:
https://www.curseforge.com/terraria/maps/rlyeh-nexus

*Expert and Master Mode versions are now available!*

Title Character.jpg

So I am very excited to say that I've been working on a new adventure map, titled "R'lyeh Nexus" ...!

It occurred to me that the bosses in Terraria are really fun, and they can be fought with many different strategies. The hardmode bosses are trickier to balance in a custom adventure map, so they don't seem to get as much love. Inspired by boss fights, Megaman, and eldritch horror, I've had a lot of creative energy to work with.

The idea is that you are an inter-dimensional warrior tasked with defeating the Moon Lord in his home dimension. To gain the access and strength to confront and defeat him, you must defeat many other Lords in their dimensions along the way. It will be set up in a Megaman-esque fashion - you may choose what order you challenge the bosses for each hub area. Each boss dimension will have a short platforming stage followed by the boss arena. By defeating a boss, you gain a key to progress, and you also gain other helpful mobility and weapon rewards. The bosses and their rewards are posted in the hub area so you can apply your own strategy to decide what order to beat them in. By defeating every boss in the R'lyeh Nexus, you will gain access to the Moon Lord himself for the final confrontation.

The map will be designed for 1-3 players, and will include varying class equipment. I also plan to add optional mini-challenges to each stage, with extra rewards. My detailed pre-planning is complete, and I've already begun building the worlds. I am really excited for this one! It seems like it will have a lot of narrative atmosphere, and a lot of potential for some wild boss dimensions! I am really not sure when this can be expected to be finished, but I'll be sure to post when beta testing becomes relevant. If you have any ideas or feedback about improving the experience, I'm open to hearing it!

:D Thanks for checking R'lyeh Nexus out!

-Feistygandhi

Terraria Rlyeh.png

PromoSixPanelDude.jpg
20210228181657_1.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely can't wait to check it out! If you want to make the boss fights even more fun, try making some cool arenas or fighting areas for them. It is surprising how much harder (or easier!) a boss fight can become based on where you fight it.

The idea for this map looks interesting. Is the R'lyeh supposed to symbolize something? All I know is that it's an ancient Lovecraftian language.
R'lyeh is the fictional location somewhere in the Pacific Ocean where Cthulhu sleeps and haunts occult-sensitive artist's dreams until he awakens and manifests physically. It is described as made of slick dark stone with confusing and impossible-to-describe extra-dimensional angles. The story for my map is to destroy Cthulhu in his home before he fully actualizes his destructive power.

I definitely can't wait to check it out! If you want to make the boss fights even more fun, try making some cool arenas or fighting areas for them. It is surprising how much harder (or easier!) a boss fight can become based on where you fight it.
I completely agree with you! I think it's pretty important for the arenas to be interesting in this map for those reasons.

It occurred to me that it might be fun to have multiple difficulty settings. I have some ideas planned out. At first, I thought I might do what I did for Red Hat Castle - I used color-coded blocks to actuate based on the difficulty selection at the start of the game. This can restrict access for certain difficulties and change the platforming challenges themselves. However... I think for this map I may just finish it as is, then maybe release a separate "pro mode" version with altered arenas and item availability.

I completely agree with you! I think it's pretty important for the arenas to be interesting in this map for those reasons.

It occurred to me that it might be fun to have multiple difficulty settings. I have some ideas planned out. At first, I thought I might do what I did for Red Hat Castle - I used color-coded blocks to actuate based on the difficulty selection at the start of the game. This can restrict access for certain difficulties and change the platforming challenges themselves. However... I think for this map I may just finish it as is, then maybe release a separate "pro mode" version with altered arenas and item availability.
That would probably be best, and easiest for you.

Just an update:

I have been fairly steadily(ish) working on building R'lyeh Nexus, and I am pretty pleased with it so far! I am approximately 50% done with building, not including tweaking and polishing (which could take just as long as building, if not longer...!). It will also take some time to test, alone and with others. If this map is going to be boss-focused, and since Terraria's bosses are fun to co-op... then I really want to make sure it's fun for a team of players.

As it stands, I feel like the battles are too easy... but then again, I tend to have a taste for difficulty.
I am pretty pleased with the environments... it's fun to design wild worlds, and given the theme of each stage being its own alien dimension, I have a lot to work with. :)
The item distribution I am pleased with/excited for. Each stage has health/mana/equipment rewards for completion, but there are also multiple hidden chests in each one. Sometimes, you need the reward from another stage in order to access them. It should be pretty fun for people to explore, even for a game like this.

I'll keep at it! Thanks for checking it out!

So excite ahh!

PromoSixPanelDude.jpg

Well, I "reported" it to move it from the WIP to Released, and explained that it's released for beta but wasn't sure which thread it should be under. They then moved it.
So... maybe? Ha.

Thank you! It should be fully playable from start to finish, even with some endgame extra stuff. After some feedback from the community (like FuryForged's great videos!) and after adding some hidden pixel art for explorers, I'll cut the beta tag off.

When I originally released Red Hat Castle, I called it "released," but didn't have much public feedback, and there were maaaany things that made it clunky and unappealing. I'm too perfectionist to let that happen again!

Hey, uh...
Capture 2017-12-16 12_04_23.png
Why does this room exist? Am I missing something?
Also, I don't think you implemented a jungle chest, and yet there is a key for it.

Hey, uh...
Why does this room exist? Am I missing something?
Also, I don't think you implemented a jungle chest, and yet there is a key for it.

You may need to zoom out (if you can). Ah, I'll update it so it won't be as necessary to use max resolution.

After 2/3 of the Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, you can get to the Jungle Chest. Of course, you would still need to beat Plantera and get the Key from her stage. (which it sounds like you did! That's the hard part I think.) :)

You may need to zoom out (if you can). Ah, I'll update it so it won't be as necessary to use max resolution.

After 2/3 of the Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, you can get to the Jungle Chest. Of course, you would still need to beat Plantera and get the Key from her stage. (which it sounds like you did! That's the hard part I think.) :)
Yeah, I was at max resolution for my laptop. And thanks for the hint!

When are the white blocks in preventing me from entering certain areas supposed to open? Iv'e beaten all the bosses except moonlord.

Back
Top Bottom