tModLoader Rockos ARPG

Perhaps @darkwolf7786 should also make a fresh thread for the mod, seeing how this one has many... many pages that are from the old version (the legacy version, if you will). Probably not though because you'd have two threads with the same name, and many people may not know that the thread has moved places. I'm just stating the possibility of a new thread because this one doesn't really have a page one to refer to for the mod and changelog that's easy to find.

Last edited:
Lol third post in a row... But is would like to know, how's the darkwolf version of the skill tree going? I know the last update you gave said you had to do the other side and add things, and that update was only ~10 days ago, but just wondering... for a friend. :)

Edit: And also keep up the good work keeping this mod alive. :)

I understand that the previous version of the mod was very unbalanced, such as having an infinite amount mana with heartless while using the last prism, but there's no real point in trying to balance things like that when you lose everything when you dc. Seeing how you do keep your skill points, you just can't allocate them, in the chance that you're not finding the bug (or not looking), maybe just make it so the stars don't require anything. Yes, I know that can be odd, seeing how someone could start mage and just instantly go into ranger after getting an energy shield, but it's a quick fix that allows the mod to be playable, and can let you still develop and balance however you like.

Edit 1: And yes, the version that's on the browser is the same as the most recent downloadable .tmod file darkwolf has posted. I checked.

What should be saved and shouldn't be saved to a character is setup in the save and load functions. The original mod has a ton of variables and no arrays, so making sure that's all correct would take time; its not exactly a "quick fix" to rewrite hundreds of lines of code (there were at least 550 variables for just the tree data alone, among others that need to be saved/loaded, and each of those lines need to be rewritten with the newest save/load syntax). I'm remaking the tree, but also redoing the data structure so instead of thousands of individual variables that needs to be saved and loaded, it goes down to a simple array that needs to be saved instead, making the process easier to write and update. If you look at the original code as a programmer, you can easily see that its very hard to work with, which is why I had to rewrite a ton of things by myself. If I wanted to use the old Rockos Mod values, I'd have to work twice as much to update the old tree to the new system, or to fix up the entire save/load functions for how they were changed between 0.9.2 to 0.10.0.1. to accommodate all his variables (since he didn't use any arrays). Just to get perspective, His 30000 lines of code was since been shrunk down to about 5000 and variables used for both the tree and the character's learned skills from thousands of separate variables down into 2 separate arrays.

The source code that ran in 0.10.0.1 is in the thread, I posted it some time before. If you want to look at it and get the Save/Load functions updated and working, you're welcome to it, but its not something I'm going to be working on, so sorry to disappoint you on that front, but you or anyone else is free to look at that code and fix up the save/load functions to the latest modloader.

Perhaps @darkwolf7786 should also make a fresh thread for the mod, seeing how this one has many... many pages that are from the old version (the legacy version, if you will). Probably not though because you'd have two threads with the same name, and many people may not know that the thread has moved places. I'm just stating the possibility of a new thread because this one doesn't really have a page one to refer to for the mod and changelog that's easy to find.

I don't plan on making a new thread until I'm ready to release something.

Lol third post in a row... But is would like to know, how's the darkwolf version of the skill tree going? I know the last update you gave said you had to do the other side and add things, and that update was only ~10 days ago, but just wondering... for a friend. :)

Edit: And also keep up the good work keeping this mod alive. :)

The scope I planned is a bit large and building the tree, when I have time, takes some work and calculating, usually for getting the proper coordinates using trig functions, along with programming the node so that it works as I describe them, AND cross referencing the nodes with their adjacent nodes (so that the paths connect when putting points into the nodes coming to and from) so getting some nodes working together can take some time and i'm sure i'll miss some connections and it'll show up as a bug on release, but once to that point, that's an easy fix, but building up is pretty time consuming.

Its going, not the fastest that I'd like, but its going.

Yes found this out the tedious way, and I agree with you, step one should be functional then step two should be balanced :p

Not once was it my intent when I started working on this to release the old version in any way, so for me, step one was simply "it runs". Step 2 was rewriting a lot of code so that it wasn't so bloated and is now easier to manage and change, Step 3 is now remaking the tree/balancing, and lastly will be finalizing and making sure it saves/loads once I have all the variables I know need to be saved/loaded. As said, if you looked at his old code, it was a mess and not one I wanted to work in so I rewrote a lot of it, and it'd be additional work to get the old one working OR trying to get the old data in the new system so its additional and unnecessary work. If I took it upon myself to fix the old version completely, people would then expect me to later maintain the old version as new tmodloader versions came out and that's not something I necessarily want either.

Last edited:
@darkwolf7786 This is fair enough, judging by the issues with his past coding it sounds like you have a lot to do, so we're sorry for hassling, its just news of a possible version of such a good mod is really exciting haha. We are very glad to have you working on it, and I myself and content with waiting. Is there a date when you hope for it to be finished/released or is it simply too hard to say at the moment? We appreciate your efforts greatly n_n

@darkwolf7786 This is fair enough, judging by the issues with his past coding it sounds like you have a lot to do, so we're sorry for hassling, its just news of a possible version of such a good mod is really exciting haha. We are very glad to have you working on it, and I myself and content with waiting. Is there a date when you hope for it to be finished/released or is it simply too hard to say at the moment? We appreciate your efforts greatly n_n

This is one of those questions that no one ever knows the answer to. Its asked a lot in this kind of situation or when say an outage happens and people want to know when their service will be back. I'm working on this alone, so how long it takes depends on the free time I have, how much of that free time I'm willing to spend working on it, and how fast I can accomplish stuff during that time. All I can say is that its not ready yet, and it'll be done when its done, but its not close enough to being finished to give any promise of a date, so best not to give one out on a whim.

1. Thanks for replying to my many (possibly annoying/ tedious questions)
2. I know what you mean by the code is a bit of a tricky deal in the OG. I took a look a while back, and I knew that I'd need A LOT more time then I had to decipher it, as I'm not the best programmer and I'm used to certain methods of writing the code.
3. For finding the save/load functions, I'll try, but as previously mentioned, I'm not the best programmer (hence before, but completely different language (Yes I know Terraria is more based on their classes)).

Once again, thanks for the update and keep on keepin' on! :)

1. Thanks for replying to my many (possibly annoying/ tedious questions)
2. I know what you mean by the code is a bit of a tricky deal in the OG. I took a look a while back, and I knew that I'd need A LOT more time then I had to decipher it, as I'm not the best programmer and I'm used to certain methods of writing the code.
3. For finding the save/load functions, I'll try, but as previously mentioned, I'm not the best programmer (hence before, but completely different language (Yes I know Terraria is more based on their classes)).

Once again, thanks for the update and keep on keepin' on! :)

The Save() and Load() functions should be in the Player.cs file. Its been a while since I looked at the modified save/load functions but they have to be rewritten as there were changes between 0.9.2's save/load functions to 0.10.0.1, though what they were specifically I can't remember offhand since I looked at that a while back last month when rewriting the code. Pretty much each of those lines of code need to be rewritten with the newer format, which I'm sure others who are also working on mods (or the Example mod as well) should have the answers that you need. Each has some hundreds of lines that need to be rewritten (so over 1000 lines)

Edit: You'll want to start by getting the original files Rocko uploaded and copy its save/load data and replace them in the version I had uploaded (because I had made changes, and you'll want the variable list in these functions from the original version). Next, you'll need to change each line in the code to look more like my changes to the save/load function in my version (I forgot that I did work on the save/load functions a little, at least for some of the common variables, but it should be the right format as I know the character level and status bar positions is saved on logging out and logging in on what i'm working on, so the format should be good)

Here's an example of what you'd need to change:

Old Save Function (from the original Rocko's Mod):
public override void SaveCustomData(BinaryWriter W)
{
W.Write(saveversion);
W.Write(statLifeMax3);
W.Write(statManaMax3);...

New Save Function (as shown in my upload):
public override TagCompound Save()
{

return new TagCompound
{
{ "saveversion", saveversion},
{ "statLifeMax3", statLifeMax3},
{ "statManaMax3", statManaMax3},...

Old Load Function:
public override void LoadCustomData(BinaryReader R)
{
try
{
saveversion = R.ReadInt32();
statLifeMax3 = R.ReadInt32();
statManaMax3 = R.ReadInt32();...

New Load Function:
public override void Load(TagCompound tag)
{
try
{
saveversion = tag.GetInt("saveversion");
statLifeMax3 = tag.GetInt("statLifeMax3");
statManaMax3 = tag.GetInt("statManaMax3");...

The new tmodloader doesn't use the old "BinaryWriter" stuff, in favor of the "TagCompound" dictionary (well whatever it is). You'll want to turn the old format into the new one, replacing each line. Hopefully this is enough to get started if you're interested in trying it, but it is about 1200 lines of codes to fix, so hang in there.

Last edited:
Yes, that's why I said I may not be able to do it. I still don't yet fully understand what's causing bugging and errors in tmod 10.0. I will keep trying though. Good luck to ya' on revamping/remaking the skill tree!

Edit: To clarify the first statement, I mean I don't really understand why the BinaryWriter stuff isn't working, seeing how it normally should. I'm not just saying that Idk why things bug in this version of TMod.

Yes, that's why I said I may not be able to do it. I still don't yet fully understand what's causing bugging and errors in tmod 10.0. I will keep trying though. Good luck to ya' on revamping/remaking the skill tree!

Edit: To clarify the first statement, I mean I don't really understand why the BinaryWriter stuff isn't working, seeing how it normally should. I'm not just saying that Idk why things bug in this version of TMod.
It's been depreciated on favor of something better and was probably removed or changed into something else. This happens a lot with mod loaders because there is a large amount of R&D that go into these. They find better ways to do things and try to remove the old ways so that things don't get too bloated. I haven't checked to make sure BinaryWriter still works, but you might want to test that first, as it may not actually exist anymore. As Darkwolf7786 said, the new version seems to use Tagcompound instead, but it may not be doing what we think it's doing.

It doesn't work anymore because it was changed to use the new format as its probably either faster or more efficient than using the older version. Also, I already uploaded a version of the source code in the thread (Download) that compiles in 0.10.0.1, so you aren't starting from scratch, and I imagine it compiles in 0.10.0.2 since someone put it up on the tmodloader browser. You just need to do what I explained and get the variables that the original saved converted into the new code format required by the new Save/Load functions. It shouldn't be difficult based on what I showed you, it just takes time to replace all the lines, so don't give up!

As Darkwolf7786 said, the new version seems to use Tagcompound instead, but it may not be doing what we think it's doing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this line, just follow the example.

Last edited:
sorry, it was .tmod.
here player.cs

Perfect, I'll take a look at it, though a quick glimpse seems like it was done as requested. I'll get 0.10.0.2 downloaded and just verify that it saves/loads which it should to be honest, then upload it. I'll probably change its name and call it "Rockos ARPG Legacy" just so it doesn't conflict with having the same working folders as the update one i'm working on (to treat them as separate mods). Thanks for doing this, and i'm sure the others will appreciate it too.

Alrighty, double post time. It seems that it does save and load successfully so I decided to upload it into the modloader browser as "RockosARPG Legacy", so you should be able to find it there (version listed is v0.10.0.3, don't worry about this. I had uploaded a "v0.10.0.2" prematurely, but that version had 999 skill points at start so I could test the tree and I forgot to change it back to 0, and tmodloader would not let you update the same version number.)

In any case, you should be able to go to the tmodloader browser and use this version (please delete any older versions you're using since because its using a different name, its considered to be a different mod) or download the tmod file here: Download

Again, thanks to Mirrodep for converting those lines for me.

Edit: As a note, back when I was first updating the mod, as part of removing non-malleable code, there was a rather forced system of potions, hard coding effects of various healing items in game (for example, if another mod made a custom potion, it wouldn't work with the code there), so I had those item modifications removed. I do not expect any of the special potion code or nodes pertaining to potions to work in this version and the potions should just work as they normally do in Terraria.

Last edited:
Alrighty, double post time. It seems that it does save and load successfully so I decided to upload it into the modloader browser as "RockosARPG Legacy", so you should be able to find it there (version listed is v0.10.0.3, don't worry about this. I had uploaded a "v0.10.0.2" prematurely, but that version had 999 skill points at start so I could test the tree and I forgot to change it back to 0, and tmodloader would not let you update the same version number.)

In any case, you should be able to go to the tmodloader browser and use this version (please delete any older versions you're using since because its using a different name, its considered to be a different mod) or download the tmod file here: Download

Again, thanks to Mirrodep for converting those lines for me.

Edit: As a note, back when I was first updating the mod, as part of removing non-malleable code, there was a rather forced system of potions, hard coding effects of various healing items in game (for example, if another mod made a custom potion, it wouldn't work with the code there), so I had those item modifications removed. I do not expect any of the special potion code or nodes pertaining to potions to work in this version and the potions should just work as they normally do in Terraria.
So the legacy one is just the original but up to date/functional? :D Thanks if it is ^^

Hello everyone.
im posting here regarding a bug when i start terraria with this mod on already, and when i start playing with this mod my max mana is reset to 10 again even though im level 13.
i hope this can be fixed as soon as possible because i love this mod.

Theres a bug that it resets your mana to 0 and clears out all the skill tree even the points that you put in before and even if you got more skill points it wont let you add any points to a specific skill as the you need a starter and thats at 0/1 .

Back
Top Bottom