Weapons & Equip Rod of Discord UN-Nerf?

DJFlare84

Mechanic
So, I remember hearing something about how the Rod of Discord was nerfed specifically so it wouldn't allow players to cheese the new final boss.

... that was back when it was planned to be the actual moon.

So, now we have Moon Lord. Can we try changing the Rod of Discord back into something worth farming for 2 weeks straight to obtain?

Here's my idea. How about trading out Chaos State for "Chaos Overload"?

It'll work like this: Instead of going into "Chaos State", you'll enter a debuff called "Chaos Buildup" mode which lasts for 10 seconds. Every time you use the Rod of Discord during the Chaos Buildup state, a "mark of chaos" is added and the timer is reset. When you first enter Chaos Buildup, you have no marks against you.

If you surpass a certain threshold of "Chaos Buildup" (aka, obtain 5 "Chaos Marks"), you take damage equal to 20% of your HP, you lose ALL your mana, and you trigger "Chaos Overload".

EDIT: Because Minions can make Rod of Discord spam very cheesy, perhaps the Chaos Overload requires less "marks" to achieve Overload based on how many minions you have on the field.

Chaos Overload is a debuff that lasts for 7 seconds and prevents you from receiving any HP or Mana recovery from ANY sources. You also cannot use the Rod of Discord in the meantime.

... why, you ask? This.

Last edited:
Or just make a second one that costs more mana but doesn't take any health.
Naw I'd really rather have the Rod of Discord back up to full potential.

I grinded for 2 weeks straight in the underground hallow trying to find this thing. I DEMAND satisfaction.

I find the rod of discord works well enough in expert mode specifically for the damage. Use it to get under half health, then fishron mount.

I find the rod of discord works well enough in expert mode specifically for the damage. Use it to get under half health, then fishron mount.
Clever, but I still miss the teleport spam. I wanna pretend to be a Wizrobe, dammit...

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like to have a hotkey for teleporting in the same way we have one for mounts and hooks.

At the moment, even without a health debuff it's pretty useless against bosses or anything else when you have to manually select it in your inventory and then manually select a weapon to attack again. Just make teleporting cost 100% of your mana per cast, 3 second cooldown and hotkey it to Q and it might actually serve a purpose other than leaving your base without opening the door, which is all I use it for.

Personally, I'd like to have a hotkey for teleporting in the same way we have one for mounts and hooks.

At the moment, even without a health debuff it's pretty useless against bosses or anything else when you have to manually select it in your inventory and then manually select a weapon to attack again. Just make teleporting cost 100% of your mana per cast, 3 second cooldown and hotkey it to Q and it might actually serve a purpose other than leaving your base without opening the door, which is all I use it for.
You may be one of the few people who understand that. I congratulate you for it. I'd prefer to do the Chaos Overload thing but I completely agree. Right now I only use it as a shortcut to get in and out of houses without using the door.

I agree, the 6 second cooldown is too much to be really usefull as a means of movement. I havent got one in the new update but the way I used it in 1.2.4 was to teleport away from duke fishron on his third dash to save 120+ hp (that is going to be a real owie in expert) And with the sniper scope it could be used in junction with teleportation potions to teleport to the nurse, heal up, then juke past whatever 200+ dmg boss is chasing you. You don't even need to equip the riflescope to use it apparently. I would prefer a cooldown of ~2 seconds to be more usefull for exploring caves and dodging without being able to teleport spam across the map in a few seconds. I also think that it would be really cool to craft a RoD, magic mirror, wormhole potion, and teleportation potion(+insert appropriate hardmode bars here) to make an accessory that gives a keybinding for home and teleports to anywhere on the minimap with open space.

I agree, the 6 second cooldown is too much to be really usefull as a means of movement. I havent got one in the new update but the way I used it in 1.2.4 was to teleport away from duke fishron on his third dash to save 120+ hp (that is going to be a real owie in expert) And with the sniper scope it could be used in junction with teleportation potions to teleport to the nurse, heal up, then juke past whatever 200+ dmg boss is chasing you. You don't even need to equip the riflescope to use it apparently. I would prefer a cooldown of ~2 seconds to be more usefull for exploring caves and dodging without being able to teleport spam across the map in a few seconds. I also think that it would be really cool to craft a RoD, magic mirror, wormhole potion, and teleportation potion(+insert appropriate hardmode bars here) to make an accessory that gives a keybinding for home and teleports to anywhere on the minimap with open space.
Honestly, having to highlight the RoD on your hotbar makes it way too clunky to use in a fight most of the time. I tried once or twice but ultimately decided to never really bother again.

If the RoD could be bound to a hotkey that'd change EVERYTHING. I might even be okay with the nerfs it currently has since at least I didn't have to freaking swap a weapon OUT of my hand just to use it. But as it stands, the RoD is essentially, laughably useless. It's not even a time-saver anymore. It literally just saves you from having to dig short tunnels now...

honestly this makes the penalty for the rod of discord worse. Right now, chaos state lasts only 6 seconds, and still allows you to teleport with a small penalty. This gives you a long lasting debuff that eventually turns into a death sentence basically. I'd rather wait out those 6 seconds, or sacrifice a fifth of my life bar than deal with this.

honestly this makes the penalty for the rod of discord worse. Right now, chaos state lasts only 6 seconds, and still allows you to teleport with a small penalty. This gives you a long lasting debuff that eventually turns into a death sentence basically. I'd rather wait out those 6 seconds, or sacrifice a fifth of my life bar than deal with this.
I can respect that.

As for me, though, I personally wouldn't mind getting more uses out of it in-a-row in exchange for a doubled timer. Going by pure numbers it's mathematically only worse if you're a melee/noclass. Anyone else is effectively getting MORE usage out of the Rod of Discord for LESS total cooldown (compare 6 seconds after every use for 10 seconds after 3 consecutive uses).

And honestly even 3 consecutive uses would be just absolutely fantastic for most people (including me).

... between you and me, though, that's just me attempting to compromise. I'd much rather just have the RoD back to completely free and unhindered usage.

Rod of Dischord works fine for building autofarms. I see no need for this as a RoD modification...though maybe for an upgraded version?

52fJhrT.png

in 1.3 the Rod of Discord has been buffed, as you see here. no need for any more buffs

Although this would allow you to freely teleport more often, I think the penalty is too steep to consider this better. Instead of just taking a bit of damage for overusing the rod, this would basically cripple the player if they're fighting anything, and you can't even teleport again until the effect wears off (I also don't see why this should be stronger for some classes and weaker for others). Instead, I think chaos state should just damage the player based on how much time is left.

Back
Top Bottom