Game Mechanics 'Round' Worlds

Do you like the idea of 'Round' (connected) Worlds?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was gonna make a mini game where you were a 2 pixel tall guy, walling in a terraria based word, but It took too much.

I don't like this one. It's ok in starbound because the planets are round, but not in terraria. Are we living on the smallest planet in the Universe? Also, i agree with the people who says that this would ruin invasions and the wall of flesh.

Last edited:
I have to agree with some of the others on the thread. I like the idea that you're not exploring the whole world, but just an island of it. There was another thread that mentioned the idea of eventually making ships to sail to other "islands" after getting into hard mode. If we did a full wrap, it would feel like it would cut off that possibility. Though, on the flip-side there's also the idea that maybe you've just circumnavigated the island vs the entire world. Just a possibility.

I don't know about this... Although something like this would give the illusion of making the world bigger, that illusion would be broken as soon as the player realizes that they've gone in a circle. Although currently there are walls at the end of the world that stop the player from going any further, they still give the impression that there's something out there just out of reach. Although they leave the player wanting more, there's still a possibility that there's still more out there, and replacing them with more of the same removes that possibility. It's almost like a cliffhanger in a book or TV, and filling it this way would be like if that cliffhanger had a disappointing outcome, or it was ignored entirely.

Of course, that's probably just me looking too deep into this... I'm prone to doing that sometimes.

It's an interesting point, although I never liked how the "end of the world" behaved to begin with, as it just suddenly stops when you reach a certain point.

This is a cool idea, but...
First off, worlds will look completely glued together once this is implimented, if worldgen isn't fixed accordingly: Oceans spawn on different altitudes in most worlds, caverns will randomly stop, etc etc. I'm sure this can be fixed by doing a huge overhaul to worldgen - but would this affect "normal" worlds as well?

Secondly, Terraria. To me, the meta is that the world is a terrarium for your little characters, where you care for them like you care for your (example) ants in a terrarium. You watch them develop, build their bases, fight the evil, etc (both the ants and the characters, obviously). While having a round world would make Terraria more realistic, (seemingly) expansive and much more logical, it doesn't tie into this. I imagine spherical-world Terraria to look like Reus, if zoomed out way much.
^
|
This.​

I don't think having this feature necessarily means that your world makes up the entire planet. Think of it like this: when you move left or right in your world, you're actually moving in a giant circle. Your world is a large plot of land, possibly an island, and you can see in the background of biomes that it extends really far inward. This is just an idea off the top of my head though, so if there are any contradictions then please tell me. I've also made a crude model of how I'd imagine it to work.

Attachments

• terraria world model.png
    terraria world model.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Idk, I kinda like to think that my world is part of a larger archipelago instead of a full blown planet. There are even other islands in the back round of the beach.

Back
Top Bottom