Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile players be like
5e7f0fa1f21dfefbaddce768eeaf69fa.jpg

Like it you are a mobile boi

One big nit-pick amongst the sea of the positive changes brought forth by 1.4.1: It is now impossible to keep npcs happy if they live in a centralised structure

the detection range is now doubled! not only that, the penalty for negative effects are increased as well. NPCs who were fine and "happy" in the 1.4 update are now a mixed bag of violent emotions.

I understand the changes brought by 1.4 where towns, pylons incentivise the spreading of npcs across the map. However, for those of us that really liked to have a centralised base, we still had a choice by making our base slightly bigger so our npcs are still technically happy.

Now, as of 1,4,1, all the efforts are for nought. If 4 or more npcs are even remotely close to each other, they will say it is crowded. This is on top of the dislike/like relationships they will detect due to the changes.

Could we have the previous npc town detection range again?

Okay, but here's a major question:
What about the changes to the Dungeon, and how awful it is in Multiplayer? Dungeon enemies keep teleporting around into unreachable areas, phasing into blocks, and being general nuisances all because of the crumbling blocks you guys introduced. I see zero mentioning of fixing that anywhere in the patch notes.

looked through more of the balances... i AM very happy for the pyramid generation buff and the effort to prevent the other biomes from being consumed in worldgen.

with that, maybe we can finally have a jungle that isn't DoA.

A fantastic update. Many much needed changes or improvements for certain. Many that I'm very happy to see, and am thankful for. I do however have a few qualms.

I'm still unhappy that non-vanity accessories are restricted from the vanity slots.. I understand the reasoning, but it's inconsistent. Many useful accessories have vanity properties, allowing them to be placed in those slots, but there are a number of them that don't, meaning that some items have this freedom but others arbitrarily don't. This is compounded by the fact that right clicking an accessory in your inventory only swaps the first slot now.

There are also several vanity head items that are all locked to the helmet slot despite being more like accessories than actual hats/helmets, such as ears, glasses, horns and a few others, while at the same time there are vanity accessories for the head such as the beard and angel halo, that are not restricted in this way. Why?

And what's this about increasing the town detection radius? It was already massive, especially vertically, why make it even more restrictive with the only recompense being 1 more allowed neighbor? This mechanic was already a hastle due to how vague it is, why make it even more frustrating? And honestly, who in their right mind gets upset when there are more than two people living within throwing distance of them, let alone driving distance? That's like being upset that you have a single family living within three blocks of you. It would help if it weren't so incredibly vague, requiring wiki research to even have a shot at understanding who goes where and how far apart they have to be. Nevermind if you play in a small world and simply don't have the world space to place everyone.

That all said, I do appreciate your work, and I hope this doesn't come off as unreasonable. These are only three issues compared to the many, many positives.

that means even once it comes out, i still won't be able to play it for another half a year or however long it takes DR to implement 1.4.1...

It took less than 5 months to develop 1.4.1 (and some of that time was spent bug-fixing 1.4.0). I highly doubt it would take more time than that to port 1.4.1's content to an actively functional platform.

also, i saw that ichor nerf... seriously?

buffed betsy, nerfed ichor... i only ever saw ONE PERSON complain about that...

great... well, guess i'm not using the golden shower spell anymore... i'll just play journey mode and turn on god mode instead of actually using any strategy. %-_-

You're going to stop using the OP spell because it used to be more OP? I mean really, it's free damage (assuming you're not playing a mage build, so Mana is free). There's really no reason not to just blast a few enemies with it when you're about to engage.

I actually do not like the Back vanity item changes. One of my preferred Vanity setups, used the Mysterious Cape, and the Harpy Wings, dyed black. With the previous mechanics, this made it so that it gave the impression that the cape was transforming into wings when you fly, a nice vampire-esque ability. And unless there's a way to make the back items mutually exclusive again, that kinda neat little thing won't be possible anymore. Sadness.

Super, duper glad about Corruption/Crimson not overlapping with the Jungle all the time, though. Now I can make a world and be happy with it, instead of spending hours searching for a clean jungle and giving up to "settle for something I am not happy with".

Those are my major takes away from the updates/changes, but most of the changes still look really good! Here's to hoping the Terraria experience will remain as glorious as it ever was. :)

It took less than 5 months to develop 1.4.1 (and some of that time was spent bug-fixing 1.4.0). I highly doubt it would take more time than that to port 1.4.1's content to an actively functional platform.

You're going to stop using the OP spell because it used to be more OP? I mean really, it's free damage (assuming you're not playing a mage build, so Mana is free). There's really no reason not to just blast a few enemies with it when you're about to engage.
In my opinion, magic needed more nerfs than that. Magic/wizard hat was a good start as well, but damn. Theres no contest when it comes to doing the most damage. If you want to do the most, you go mage. Rangers can get up there, but melee users still dont even stand a chance to rival range builds in dps :/
At least the meek summoner build has been seeing more buffs though, but im still unsure how viable it is through to late game.

And what's this about increasing the town detection radius? It was already massive, especially vertically, why make it even more restrictive with the only recompense being 1 more allowed neighbor? This mechanic was already a hastle due to how vague it is, why make it even more frustrating? And honestly, who in their right mind gets upset when there are more than two people living within throwing distance of them, let alone driving distance? That's like being upset that you have a single family living within three blocks of you. It would help if it weren't so incredibly vague, requiring wiki research to even have a shot at understanding who goes where and how far apart they have to be. Nevermind if you play in a small world and simply don't have the world space to place everyone.

I think it's important to recognize that the "town detection radius" is different from the "I'm too close to other people" happiness radius. The town detection radius is used to tell whether an area counts as the "Town Biome" (and thus whether Pylons can be powered and whether to play the town music). The various happiness radii are different.

I haven't played 1.4.1, but according to the changelog, they didn't actually change the radii for happiness effects, just the bonuses/penalties for them.

NOOO THE CHEST NAME LIMIT DIDN'T GET INCREASED! Now I'll have to live with ugly inconsistent abbreviations on my chests forever ):

Indeed, thinking about the happiness changes (again, under the assumption that when they're talking about the "town detection radius", they're not talking about any of the happiness radii), it should actually be eaiser to get larger groups of NPCs happy together.

One of the main problems with 1.4.0 was that the "so much space" isolation bonus was so big (90%). You could not get an NPC to max happiness without that bonus. Even putting them next to both their liked and loved NPCs couldn't get them to max happiness.

But with the isolation bonus being weaker, and the liked bonuses being stronger, the math changes. If you can put an NPC next to both their liked and loved NPCs, that's probably better than putting them next to just their loved. Indeed, with some planning, you may be able to have a large groups (6-12) NPCs relatively near each other and have them all be happy. And with the "crowding" penalty being weaker (for light crowding), you can even pack them in a bit closer.

At the end of the day, the rule that made you spread your NPCs out so religiously was the isolation bonus. With that being weaker, builds should be way more flexible. Now, you probably won't be able to go back to pre-1.4 efficient storage builds. But there ought to be a lot more flexibility in where you can put people.

Re-Logic, ever since I started playing this game after being gifted it to me in 2012, I have had lots of fun with this game, and still am. Thank you for putting so much effort into an 8-year-old game over the years. I really appreciate it!

I think it's important to recognize that the "town detection radius" is different from the "I'm too close to other people" happiness radius. The town detection radius is used to tell whether an area counts as the "Town Biome" (and thus whether Pylons can be powered and whether to play the town music). The various happiness radii are different.

I haven't played 1.4.1, but according to the changelog, they didn't actually change the radii for happiness effects, just the bonuses/penalties for them.
I appreciate the distinction. On testing however, the range doesn't appear to be doubled, but there is definitely an increase in required distance. My 5 home base NPCs were happy prior to 1.4.1 (Two pairs and a solo). In order for the solo to be happy, they had to be moved 11 blocks further away. I suspect the same is true for the pairs in relation to eachother as they're unhappy even with the solo further away.

Edit: Here is an image of the arrangement I have, with the solo moved to an acceptable distance. Note, the zoologist is upset at being near the arms dealer, where before, they were far enough to not interact in that way.
(The nurse is supposed to be in that open room, but died, and hasn't respawned due to being night time.)

Last edited:
I'm also reminded that it still isn't possible to paint glowing things. The glowing parts of those lava plants for example can't be painted, while the rest of it can. I assume there is some limitation involved in the engine, but it's still sad to not be able to have the plants in any color other than orange.

The Princess NPC has a bizarre amount of different highlights to their sprite compared to other NPCs
Heck, don't want to be a downer; everything else is great but they look too detailed even compared to the Zoologist and the Golfer, the most recent NPCs
They don't seem to offer much beyond just being an additional NPC, which is unfortunate. They offer new cosmetics but nothing truly unique to themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom