Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this update certainly introduces some really good features and balance changes, I'm not the biggest fan of the changes made to the recipes for the Terra Blade and the True Night's Edge/Excalibur. I just think it was a pretty pointless change. Other than that, the update's great.

While this update certainly introduces some really good features and balance changes, I'm not the biggest fan of the changes made to the recipes for the Terra Blade and the True Night's Edge/Excalibur. I just think it was a pretty pointless change. Other than that, the update's great.
It was done to put the True swords and Terra Blade on a different tier so that the True swords have a chance to shine

Spookigman has it right.

This makes the True swords easier to obtain, and also more useful, but you can't immediately upgrade them to Terra Blade. If you could, then they wouldn't have any purpose at all.

And by moving Terra Blade back, I was able to make it stronger as well, so in the end, all three swords should have more value and be more reliably obtained in a consistent timing.

I'm depressed right now.
I think there would be delays on the Mobile release.
If the Mobile contents is still not updated till December 31, I'm gonna commite _______.

AT THE LATEST mobile 1.4 will release in early November.
Come on, it's only halfway through the month! There's plenty of October days left!

I see what you guys did there🤣

unknown.png
Z.png

Just a question, are you guys going to finish the spanish translation? because now there is this ''cosa rara where some things are en español but otras cosas are in english'' I know I'm nitpicking, but since this is the very last update I am a little concerned about that, other than that I really love the update

I really love the updates, but it really feels like everyone on the dev team said "hey, let's totally ignore everything Toxophilite warned us about & add some salt🧂"; only to end up frustrating themselves with having to now, double work & likely crunch to get things back on track. I wish I thought this was funny & could laugh, but overworking yourself is never healthy & I'm on the side of eliminating crunch culture from the video game industry. 🙄🥤

That being said, even though some of these additions have caused a ton of totally avoidable problems, the brilliance of the dev team still manages to shine through (good job)!

I was originally hoping to go media dark, enjoy all the changes & updates, not knowing a thing, but it appears I have a ton of work to do, as the floodgates have been busted wide open!
  • There is a new beginner, Gold Tier Summoner Armor now. It's a tad bit overpowered, but it's not totally egregious. 🙄💁‍♂️
  • Whips are now competing with Melee Weapons, getting all the benefits... plus Minions. This is cool, but...
  • There is now a Summoner Armor Tier between Bee & Spider, in addition to all the new Summoner padding & it's busted, super busted! 😬🥤
  • The rarity gap for Sanguine Staff, the Minion between Twins & Blade Staff has been lifted/ nerfed... wow, why you do dis?
  • 10 other changes that Toxophilite warned against, that the people who asked for them seem to now hate.
Welp... no rest for the wicked.

I really love the updates, but it really feels like everyone on the dev team said "hey, let's totally ignore everything Toxophilite warned us about & add some salt🧂"; only to end up frustrating themselves with having to now, double work & likely crunch to get things back on track. I wish I thought this was funny & could laugh, but overworking yourself is never healthy & I'm on the side of eliminating crunch culture from the video game industry. 🙄🥤

That being said, even though some of these additions have caused a ton of totally avoidable problems, the brilliance of the dev team still manages to shine through (good job)!

I was originally hoping to go media dark, enjoy all the changes & updates, not knowing a thing, but it appears I have a ton of work to do, as the floodgates have been busted wide open!
  • There is a new beginner, Gold Tier Summoner Armor now. It's a tad bit overpowered, but it's not totally egregious. 🙄💁‍♂️
  • Whips are now competing with Melee Weapons, getting all the benefits... plus Minions. This is cool, but...
  • There is now a Summoner Armor Tier between Bee & Spider, in addition to all the new Summoner padding & it's busted, super busted! 😬🥤
  • The rarity gap for Sanguine Staff, the Minion between Twins & Blade Staff has been lifted/ nerfed... wow, why you do dis?
  • 10 other changes that Toxophilite warned against, that the people who asked for them seem to now hate.
Welp... no rest for the wicked.

I agree that Obsidian Armor is *completely*
broken. It outclasses every other pre-Hardmode build by a decent amount, and becaude of the enormous bonuses to whips, it could theoretically work the entire game.

I don’t know who the hell thought 43% damage boost and another 50% dps via set bonus was balanced for prehardmode.

That said, I wouldn’t say the rest of the changes are too overpowered.

Whips don’t really “compete” with melee weapons, as whips are now just the correct strength to pull their weight and help pure summoners, but aren’t overclassed still. Most melee weapons can either pull more DPS at close range or have more utility than whips, and besides they are a different class so the overlap is more limited. You’re unlikely to use whips with a primarily melee build and vice versa. Combined with obsidian armor, it’s a different story, but I already said how brokenly overpowered Obsidian is.

Flinx Fur Coat is a little bit strong, but you’re still sacrificing defense from chestplates and set bonus to use it, and it’s only effectively 1 minion, which summoners very much needed to pull their weight in the early game. The 5% damage boost doesn’t do jack when the strongest weapon for summoners available at that tier does 18.

You’re not the first one to protest Sanguine Staff being more common, but I really don’t see how it’s a negative. As I described it, having to grind Dreadnautilus is just tedium. If you’re gonna get the Sanguine eventually, why not on the first try? It’s not like killing five Dreadnautilus is more difficult than killing one, just far more tedious.

I agree that Obsidian Armor is *completely* broken. It outclasses every other pre-Hardmode build by a decent amount, and becaude of the enormous bonuses to whips, it could theoretically work the entire game. I don’t know who the hell thought 43% damage boost and another 50% dps via set bonus was balanced for prehardmode.
I don't mind it, because I see what they were going for. The only issue is that they are trying to accomplish an impossible task.
  • Be a slightly better/ optional option to Bee Gear, but not better in every way... more like an alternative.
  • Hold it's own in Hardmode, so that it's not necessary to swap to Spider Gear, which takes away the fun Whip bonus.
They might be able to pull it off, but it's gonna be a doozy! 😬🥤

That said, I wouldn’t say the rest of the changes are too overpowered.
I agree, but they do create disparity & go-to's, which was a problem they fixed in 1.3.5 with Meteor Armor, just to introduce it again in 1.4.1. Oh well...

Whips don’t really “compete” with melee weapons, as whips are now just the correct strength to pull their weight and help pure summoners, but aren’t overclassed still. Most melee weapons can either pull more DPS at close range or have more utility than whips, and besides they are a different class so the overlap is more limited. You’re unlikely to use whips with a primarily melee build and vice versa. Combined with obsidian armor, it’s a different story, but I already said how brokenly overpowered Obsidian is.
Well, we still have yet to see what an optimized Summoner Build looks like, based around Whips. I was never against the Whips being improved, but Vampire Frogs were buffed, Flinx Staff competes with Hornets & Whips are effected by Melee accessories. It's gonna be a fun year...

Flinx Fur Coat is a little bit strong, but you’re still sacrificing defense from chestplates and set bonus to use it, and it’s only effectively 1 minion, which summoners very much needed to pull their weight in the early game. The 5% damage boost doesn’t do jack when the strongest weapon for summoners available at that tier does 18.
Yeah, it's certainly not egregious, but they obviously wanted to get rid of the disparity created by early-game go-to's, but they're back again; this was obviously unintentional.

You’re not the first one to protest Sanguine Staff being more common, but I really don’t see how it’s a negative. As I described it, having to grind Dreadnautilus is just tedium. If you’re gonna get the Sanguine eventually, why not on the first try? It’s not like killing five Dreadnautilus is more difficult than killing one, just far more tedious.
...because it recreates the Duke Fishron disparity we already had with Plantera. The Twin Staff & Blade Staff are now, quite possibly on the chopping block. 😬💁‍♂️

I don't mind it, because I see what they were going for. The only issue is that they are trying to accomplish an impossible task.
  • Be a slightly better/ optional option to Bee Gear, but not better in every way... more like an alternative.
  • Hold it's own in Hardmode, so that it's not necessary to swap to Spider Gear, which takes away the fun Whip bonus.
They might be able to pull it off, but it's gonna be a doozy! 😬🥤

I agree, but they do create disparity & go-to's, which was a problem they fixed in 1.3.5 with Meteor Armor, just to introduce it again in 1.4.1. Oh well...

Well, we still have yet to see what an optimized Summoner Build looks like, based around Whips. I was never against the Whips being improved, but Vampire Frogs were buffed, Flinx Staff competes with Hornets & Whips are effected by Melee accessories. It's gonna be a fun year...

Yeah, it's certainly not egregious, but they obviously wanted to get rid of the disparity created by early-game go-to's, but they're back again; this was obviously unintentional.

...because it recreates the Duke Fishron disparity we already had with Plantera. The Twin Staff & Blade Staff are now, quite possibly on the chopping block. 😬💁‍♂️

AFAIK, whips only grab the autoswing bonus from Feral Claws +, not the other bonuses. They may also get speed, I’d have to test, but they do not get damage.

Interestly, this makes Berserker Glove almost *more* suited for Summoners than Melee, so I kind of see your point, but compared to a full melee or summoner accessory build they are still quite different.

As for obsidian armor again, yeah I love the concept. A whip centric armor that can be equivalent to Bee. The only issue is they completely overtuned it. Obsidian Armor and Spinal Tap can tear through the Wall of Flesh like cheese. I hope the devs find a way to nerf it without destroying it.

We did discuss the vampire frog becoming much more powerful in the balance and feedback thread, and looking at it, it’s just very naturally strong versus the Wall because of its AI. It is slightly overstatted for its tier - pulling about as well as Imps or Hornets versus bosses, but I expect Leinfors to tune it down at some point. We also found that hornets are actually more efficient than a lot of people think, being slightly stronger than Imps in a non-hybridized build.

As for sanguine staff... you make a good point. Although, I will protest that Sanguine Staff is what minions should feel like, and it’s more an issue of Optic and Pygmy being underwhelming. I also think Blade still holds good competition with Sanguine due to its gimmick. With optic and pygmy being buffed, they may actually stand well against Sanguine, but I’m not that far into my new playthrough yet to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom