Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then perhaps you should consider that what you see as "signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue" may in fact not be those things. Or that other people don't necessarily agree that what you see as signs of those things are actually indicative of them. And therefore, when they react negatively to your suggestions, that they're not doing so from a position where they want the developers to work themselves to death.
I mean, you can say that, but if you actually believe it, you're delusional. 🤷‍♂️🥤 I challenge you to pull up the changelogs from 1.4.0, all the way up to 1.4.1 & tell me with a straight face that you don't understand than man-hours required to do that. If that's not enough, pull up the bug fixes from 1.4.0, all the way up to 1.4.1. Still not enough?

At no point in this conversation have you said anything approaching the politeness implied by the word "please".
Maybe not toward you, but I have made the effort with some. 💁‍♂️🥤

But since nobody here has said anything about supporting crunch culture, I don't know why that matters.
...of course you don't.

again, just attempting to make sense of everything here... you said you weren't able to get into terraria... i don't see how, i got into it right away, as did many others.
you then say... you put a ton of work into "making it feel like an actual game"... implying the devs FAILED to create a game, when it seems like you just didn't care for the game, so that view is more subjective, it didn't meet your interests, so you deemed it a failure?
Terraria is an odd beast, the fact that a LOT of things were packed into it, a LOT of great ideas were added & a LOT of community help was the bridge that allowed people like myself to get into this game. I'm honest, 1.3.5 was a 'flawed Masterpiece', yes, the devs failed at quite a few things with this game in it's earlier life. Matter-of-fact, even in 1.3.5, Terraria still didn't have a tutorial, learning how to play this game was mostly a community effort.
  • Did you know there was a point in Terraria's life that there was no user-friendly way of changing your controls?
  • Did you know that there was a time where consistent multiplayer was locked being using 3rd party software?
  • Did you know there was a point in the games life where tool-tips weren't a thing?
Yeah, the developers failed at many basic, fundamental things that make a videogame feel polished. That doesn't mean I didn't find it to be fun, it just needed work, which is why I stated building a Tutorial Map & why it is that using the Terraria Wiki is so common. 💁‍♂️🥤

also, you saying "most fans would keep adding stuff to the game" ...they do, typically through mods, which i personally don't approve of.
i've always had a grudge against mods and modders, i just feel like it's spreading filth over a work of art, but seeing as some official stuff is probably inspired by mods, i can't necessarily claim it's wrong altogether, only in my own personal views, cause mods ruin games for me and makes them feel less genuine and drives them further from the creators' vision, which is what originally appealed to me.
I don't necessarily mind people creating Mods, but I don't approve of them using Mods as an excuse to expand the game poorly. I used a LOT of Mods in Skyrim, but Skyrim is one of those huge games that overlooked some of the finer details, that's where Mods come in, to fix that. The updates to Terraria feel that way, as if the devs were Modder who understood all the places the game failed at. I agree with most of the changes, they were on my list as well, but some stuff wasn't necessary.

either way, i'm not out here telling the developers to "stop putting stuff into the game that modders originally added, it's ruining the game!", cause that is simply not true.
even if i voiced such a foolish opinion, the developers wouldn't listen, because it is something they WANT to do, and feel is RIGHT for their creation.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to ruin a perfectly good game, by making poor additions to it.
  • See Bayonetta, Smash 4 DLC
  • See Uncharted 2, weapons patch
  • See Runescape, weapons patch
what i am saying is... you claiming to be the "voice of reason" is, again, claiming you know better than the developers.
There's no possible way I believe this, because my coding skills are abysmal. There's certain things I know because I've tested ideas for many hours. Sometimes people overlook things & you can correct them, it doesn't suddenly make you an expert at medicine, because you told a doctor he forgot his mask. 💁‍♂️🥤

as others have already mentioned, you're ASSUMING the developers are crunching... what makes you think they are?
...but there is a BIG difference between saying the things no one wants to hear, and being right about what you're saying.
Pull up the changelog & bug fixes from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1.

Spoiler: princess is holding resonance scepter, for one of achievements you need to open trap-chrst and die

The 1.2 minerals are objectively better than the prior ones and this would make world variety far less interesting for the people who know what they’re doing. Tin is always stronger than copper, lead is always stronger than iron, tungsten is always stronger than silver, and platinum is always stronger than gold. There are no exceptions to this.
Copper and gold make prettier bricks.

Terraria is an odd beast, the fact that a LOT of things were packed into it, a LOT of great ideas were added & a LOT of community help was the bridge that allowed people like myself to get into this game. I'm honest, 1.3.5 was a 'flawed Masterpiece', yes, the devs failed at quite a few things with this game in it's earlier life. Matter-of-fact, even in 1.3.5, Terraria still didn't have a tutorial, learning how to play this game was mostly a community effort.
  • Did you know there was a point in Terraria's life that there was no user-friendly way of changing your controls?
  • Did you know that there was a time where consistent multiplayer was locked being using 3rd party software?
  • Did you know there was a point in the games life where tool-tips weren't a thing?
Yeah, the developers failed at many basic, fundamental things that make a videogame feel polished. That doesn't mean I didn't find it to be fun, it just needed work, which is why I stated building a Tutorial Map & why it is that using the Terraria Wiki is so common. 💁‍♂️🥤

I don't necessarily mind people creating Mods, but I don't approve of them using Mods as an excuse to expand the game poorly. I used a LOT of Mods in Skyrim, but Skyrim is one of those huge games that overlooked some of the finer details, that's where Mods come in, to fix that. The updates to Terraria feel that way, as if the devs were Modder who understood all the places the game failed at. I agree with most of the changes, they were on my list as well, but some stuff wasn't necessary.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to ruin a perfectly good game, by making poor additions to it.
  • See Bayonetta, Smash 4 DLC
  • See Uncharted 2, weapons patch
  • See Runescape, weapons patch

There's no possible way I believe this, because my coding skills are abysmal. There's certain things I know because I've tested ideas for many hours. Sometimes people overlook things & you can correct them, it doesn't suddenly make you an expert at medicine, because you told a doctor he forgot his mask. 💁‍♂️🥤

Pull up the changelog & bug fixes from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1.

you can keep mentioning the "1.4 to 1.4.1" thing all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they are both parts of the journey's end final update.

1.4 grew into a beast of an update, i'd even say they TECHNICALLY released it EARLY to hit the anniversary.

that's what 1.4.1 was, basically the less major parts of 1.4 that could afford to be done at a later date.

the fact that you just completely deflect the things we call you out on and insist that you are correct without even CONSIDERING the fact that you are making assumptions and might be completely off the mark, only proves what i've been saying.

besides, it's been made fairly clear that this is the FINAL content update... aside from bug fixes and the occasional rebalance being done as necessary, they're done.

so i don't see why you're still going on about this.

...so i don't see why you're still going on about this.
You replied to a message that wasn't even addressed to you. I was clearly responding to @whoneedsnamestbh & you chose to insert yourself in the middle of it. You asked if you were missing something, so I filled you in. Yeah, the updates are cool, but the devs were clearly making a LOT of small changes based on player feedback. A lot of those suggestions are bad, because they didn't take the entire game into consideration & only very small, shortsighted portions. Every time the devs add bad ideas, they then have to go back a fix an issue that was fine the way it was.

NPC happiness, for example, is a good mechanic, but only if you like the idea of the NPCs having some kind of personality & you like having Pylons. People were making it out to be this frustrating, intolerable addition that ruins everything. I ignored it for 75% of pre-Hardmode & when I finally got around to it, it wasn't even that hard to figure out. NPCs being unhappy doesn't ruin a players ability to build towers, hotels or anything else they can imagine. In-fact, before it was changed in 1.4.1, all you needed to do was make the NPCs happy once, buy the Pylons & leave any random two NPCs in the general area to use it. 🤷‍♂️🥤

What makes this situation even more obnoxious, is that most elaborate builders just use teleporters & wiring anyhow, so I'm totally lost on why players who have been building for years, suddenly want Pylons, as if they are the only fast, transport option. It's just a bunch of unnecessary silliness that's causing the devs to do extra, unneeded work on things that function just fine, when they could be squashing bugs or fixing portions of the game that actually need attention.

I'm not sure how many Terrarians here are creatives, but one of the worst feelings in the world, is having someone convince you to work on something they were certain needed a revamp, only to have you go back, & double-work, to undo the very changes they suggested, as if it wasn't their own bad idea in the first place.

This update made me very sad! The Black Spot was the thing that made up for the suffering in the master. All other master's items aren't useles. if The Black Spot now very bad, I see no reason at all to play the master. I've already played with it for over 250 hours and got used to it. This is very disappointing, please return the speed of the Black Mark as it was. It also seems to me that it is not worth changing the craft of True Excalibur, because getting chlorophyte is easier than the hero's sword. I love Terraria very much and I think it two thinks do it better.
PirateShip.png Excalibur.png Love.gif

This update made me very sad! The Black Spot was the thing that made up for the suffering in the master. All other master's items aren't useles. if The Black Spot now very bad, I see no reason at all to play the master. I've already played with it for over 250 hours and got used to it. This is very disappointing, please return the speed of the Black Mark as it was. It also seems to me that it is not worth changing the craft of True Excalibur, because getting chlorophyte is easier than the hero's sword. I love Terraria very much and I think it two thinks do it better.
View attachment 295064 View attachment 295066 View attachment 295067
Black spot was previously used for kiting bosses, it was pre-mech and trivialized almost every HM fight.
Basically: summons boss, boss cannot catch up to mount, you beat boss easily by flying away and it can't catch you.
Just... don't play master? It's a terrible gamemode and the worst 1.4 addition by far.

Basically, the reason the True Sword recipes were changed is that there was NO REASON to use them, as you'd immediately craft them into the Terra Blade.
The recipe was changed from:

Night's Edge (crafted)
+
Broken Hero Sword (dropped from Mothron, a post-Mechs solar eclipse mob)
=
True Night's Edge

Excalibur (crafted from Hallowed Bars)
+
=
True Excalibur

True Night's Edge
+
True Excalibur
=
Terra Blade
To:
Night's Edge
+
Soul of Might x20
+
Soul of Fright x20
+
Soul of Sight x20
=
True Night's Edge

Excalibur
+
Chlorophyte Bars
=
True Excalibur

True Night's Edge
+
True Excalibur
+
Broken Hero Sword (dropped from Mothron, who is now post-Plantera)
=
Terra Blade

These changes also cleared the way for a buff to all three weapons.
Basically the point of the change was to make the True Swords POST-MECHS and change the Terra Blade to be POST-PLANTERA while buffing all three, giving the Trues a chance to shine without being instantly crafted into TB.

Black spot was previously used for kiting bosses, it was pre-mech and trivialized almost every HM fight.
Basically: summons boss, boss cannot catch up to mount, you beat boss easily by flying away and it can't catch you.
Just... don't play master? It's a terrible gamemode and the worst 1.4 addition by far.

Basically, the reason the True Sword recipes were changed is that there was NO REASON to use them, as you'd immediately craft them into the Terra Blade.
The recipe was changed from:

Night's Edge (crafted)
+
=
True Night's Edge

Excalibur (crafted from Hallowed Bars)
+
=
True Excalibur

True Night's Edge
+
True Excalibur
=
Terra Blade
To:
Night's Edge
+
Soul of Might x20
+
Soul of Fright x20
+
Soul of Sight x20
=
True Night's Edge

Excalibur
+
Chlorophyte Bars
=
True Excalibur

True Night's Edge
+
True Excalibur
+
Broken Hero Sword (dropped from Mothron, who is now post-Plantera)
=
Terra Blade

These changes also cleared the way for a buff to all three weapons.
Basically the point of the change was to make the True Swords POST-MECHS and change the Terra Blade to be POST-PLANTERA while buffing all three, giving the Trues a chance to shine without being instantly crafted into TB.
Yeah, it will make the True Swords more purpose than the Terra Blade.
Luckily, the 3 got buffed so Melee class will become much better till Zenith.

I am happy that on October 20 is the release date for 1.4 on Mobile. But I got banned at the Discord server for 1 hour 3 hours ago because I was overhyped and screamed so hard that they got annoyed. I say sorry from them and sobbed hard instead. ;-; At least almost no one hates me.

As an alternative solution, let them add a fast mountwith endless flight) at the end of the game at least. For now I'm just bored of flying on a NLO.

I personally think the max speed nerf of Black Spot was a bit of a overkill.
Why not just reduce its vertical speed even more and make it more "floaty" , increase acceleration time (let it take a lot more to reach top speed)
On top of inability to dash instantly into top speeds - cause this was the major issue why it was so good vs boss fights, being able to instantly dash into top speed with this mount.

And i think it would be still useful for travel but not so much for boss fights.
Maybe reduce the max speed a bit but not by so much as it is now in addition to this.

I personally think the max speed nerf of Black Spot was a bit of a overkill.
Why not just reduce its vertical speed even more and make it more "floaty" , increase acceleration time (let it take a lot more to reach top speed)
On top of inability to dash instantly into top speeds - cause this was the major issue why it was so good vs boss fights, being able to instantly dash into top speed with this mount.

And i think it would be still useful for travel but not so much for boss fights.
Maybe reduce the max speed a bit but not by so much as it is now in addition to this.
The entire reason it was so powerful was because of it's top horizontal speed. It was doomed from the start, unless they just made it so you couldn't use items while riding it.

THANKS ALL THE DEVELOPERS OF THIS AMAZING GAME THAT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER! EASILY TH BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! THANKS FOR THE HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF INCREDIBLE AND PERFECT GAMEPLAY!! I WILL NEVER FORGET TERRARIA, THIS GAME IS FOREVER IN MY HEART!!!

I think the letters aren't large enough for everyone to see.
And your post lacks additional exclamation marks.

You replied to a message that wasn't even addressed to you. I was clearly responding to @whoneedsnamestbh & you chose to insert yourself in the middle of it. You asked if you were missing something, so I filled you in. Yeah, the updates are cool, but the devs were clearly making a LOT of small changes based on player feedback. A lot of those suggestions are bad, because they didn't take the entire game into consideration & only very small, shortsighted portions. Every time the devs add bad ideas, they then have to go back a fix an issue that was fine the way it was.

NPC happiness, for example, is a good mechanic, but only if you like the idea of the NPCs having some kind of personality & you like having Pylons. People were making it out to be this frustrating, intolerable addition that ruins everything. I ignored it for 75% of pre-Hardmode & when I finally got around to it, it wasn't even that hard to figure out. NPCs being unhappy doesn't ruin a players ability to build towers, hotels or anything else they can imagine. In-fact, before it was changed in 1.4.1, all you needed to do was make the NPCs happy once, buy the Pylons & leave any random two NPCs in the general area to use it. 🤷‍♂️🥤

What makes this situation even more obnoxious, is that most elaborate builders just use teleporters & wiring anyhow, so I'm totally lost on why players who have been building for years, suddenly want Pylons, as if they are the only fast, transport option. It's just a bunch of unnecessary silliness that's causing the devs to do extra, unneeded work on things that function just fine, when they could be squashing bugs or fixing portions of the game that actually need attention.

I'm not sure how many Terrarians here are creatives, but one of the worst feelings in the world, is having someone convince you to work on something they were certain needed a revamp, only to have you go back, & double-work, to undo the very changes they suggested, as if it wasn't their own bad idea in the first place.

so... in otherwords, you're saying the devs have no idea what they're doing, and you know better than them.

see, we're caught in this endless cycle, again...

also, i inserted myself into the conversation, cause you're talking on a public forum... weird how that happens, right?

i'm not afraid to say what needs to be said, i'm certainly not very popular for it, but unlike you, i examine a situation properly before saying anything.

seeing as i'm not the only one responding to you in this way, i have some others backing up what i am saying... but you are the only one who seems convinced that the developers are destroying themselves and ruining the game, aside from the trolls on the forum who complain about everything and insult the developers outright.

i'm honestly hoping one of them steps in and puts this conversation to bed, because you're clearly in need of some reassurance.

then again, you don't seem to trust the developers, so i have to wonder if anything they say will change your mind on the matter.

you mentioned earlier that people using the wiki is a sign that they failed at making a proper game... you realize how foolish that sounds?

wikis are made for... everything.

it's a comprehensive compilation of everything the game has to offer, made by the fans, FOR the fans.

you saying that makes the game a failure is like saying a game having a guide/walkthrough makes it a failure, because people use said guides to help them in said game.

you can play a game without said guide, but some people simply either don't have the time or patience to figure things out on their own.

or maybe they have more fun USING a guide, it's part of an experience, everyone has different ways of enjoying the same thing.

there is a reason the guide exists in-game, you would normally use him to figure out crafting recipes... and now with the bestiary, we can figure out what enemies drop what items in-game, for those who DON'T want to use the wiki.

yes, changes they make are based off fan feedback, but i doubt they allow unreasonable requests to alter their vision for the game.

and as i said, people enjoy the same thing in different ways... there might be players who enjoy setting up teleporters still, while some prefer the pylons.

having options is not a bad thing, some people are more creative and patient than others, so teleporters could be seen as a struggle or even a punishment for the less patient/creative types... i know i never used them.

i have creative ideas, but i've never done well with giving them form, so having a simpler fast travel system works well for me.

some people probably don't fast travel at all and prefer just using wings/flying mounts, cause that might be more fun for them.

a common thing i've seen from you is that you seem to devalue others' opinions and desires for the game, seeing your own as more important and "correct".

so again, we're back to this ego thing i mentioned earlier... when will this end?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom