Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also meteor armor lets you use the Zapinators for free.
dude plz its over already leave me alone plz, also i thought it only applied to only the space gun so thats something, probably wont use meteor gear once i have a zapinator, if i ever manage to get one before crimson/corruption boss might think about it, the gun is horrible but also OP

I think fledgling wings are very well balanced, I consider them a sidegrade to horseshoe balloons. Both reach about the same height but the fledling wings have better control while the horseshoe balloon has better acceleration. You can also stack the accessories to get both effects.

I think fledgling wings are very well balanced, I consider them a sidegrade to horseshoe balloons. Both reach about the same height but the fledling wings have better control while the horseshoe balloon has better acceleration. You can also stack the accessories to get both effects.
wow, now i feel like a :red: for forgetting i could stack them, especially knowing prehardmode barely gives me useful accesories, but i will still prefer ballons + bottle and bundle of ballons than the wings everyday

Eh, to be fair, you don't really NEED any additional movement for Pre-Hardmode bosses, at least assuming you're not playing Expert or some such:

Brain: Just get some knockback and his Phase 2 will (almost) never touch you. Any yo-yo or the rotted fork will do.
EoW: Grapple a ceiling and either rain grenades (be careful to not blow yourself up) or use a vilethorn or a spear of some kind.
EoC: You don't even need boots to dodge everything he does.
Queen Bee: All you need is a pair of rocket boots to jump over her charging attacks. Actually, if you timed it right you could probably get away with just a bottle.
Skeletron: Kill the hands and let the silly skull slowly roll towards you while you wail away at him.
King Slime: Put a single block up in the air, to grapple and throw grenades down at him or something.
WoF: Flying won't help you with this, you want a big long bridge and any running boots.
Yeah in master mode I do just fine with spectre boots and it's upgrades. Provides good speed and enough mobility in the air to dodge attacks without needing an additional accessory like wings or a balloon. I also use the grapple a lot in order to extend jumps or gain some quick momentum while moving around on platforms as well. I sometimes don't even get wings until mid to late hm so I can save the accessory slot for dmg accessories.
pre hm movement is pretty well balanced for the most part.

Last edited:
One thing to consider about Fledgling Wings is that they can be completely replaced by Feather Fall potions. These potions not only give you the same air time and glide bonuses, they are also more flexible as they give you three different falling speeds (Regular, Slow and Super Slow) to work with instead of two.

Feather Fall potions are also pretty easy to craft, are found commonly underground and they last for a pretty long time, so these Pre Hardmode wings don't give you access to anything you couldn't do before.

Last edited:
One thing to consider about Fledgling Wings is that they can be completely replaced by Feather Fall potions. These potions not only give you the same air time and glide bonuses, they are also more flexible as they give you three different falling speeds to work with instead of two.

Feather Fall potions are also pretty easy to craft, are found commonly underground and they last for a pretty long time, so these Pre Hardmode wings don't give you access to anything you couldn't do before.
THANK YOU

The problem I have with Bundle of Balloons is the monumental amount of work it takes to get them.

First, you need what is it again, 4 balloons? Have fun fishing for hours in the sky lakes.
Then you need 1 of each bottle, again, have fun doing a lot of fishing and scouring the world for the different bottles. If no Pyramid, have fun fishing some more or making a bunch of worlds praying that you A). Get a Pyramid, and B). Get one that has a Sandstorm in a Bottle.

By the time you finally do all of that, I would have just used wings, just 1 bottle+balloon and been in hardmode with real wings.

I see the Bundle of Balloons being a collector thing, something to make just to say you made it because the sheer amount of work that one has to put into it is nowhere near proportional to the actual reward you get out of it.

As for Potions, eh.

Sure that works all good and nice... until a potion runs out at just the wrong time because you got distracted or somesuch, and you scramble for the B key only to forgot that you had other buff potions on you and you end up wasting a bunch of potions you didn't really mean to use lol. Buff potions are OK for things that won't kill you if they run out at the wrong time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them for something like that.

That and you know, having to keep making them and having to keep using them to keep the buff up. I'd rather have something that's always there, and always active when it comes to something basic like movement.

The problem I have with Bundle of Balloons is the monumental amount of work it takes to get them.

First, you need what is it again, 4 balloons? Have fun fishing for hours in the sky lakes.
Then you need 1 of each bottle, again, have fun doing a lot of fishing and scouring the world for the different bottles. If no Pyramid, have fun fishing some more or making a bunch of worlds praying that you A). Get a Pyramid, and B). Get one that has a Sandstorm in a Bottle.

By the time you finally do all of that, I would have just used wings, just 1 bottle+balloon and been in hardmode with real wings.

I see the Bundle of Balloons being a collector thing, something to make just to say you made it because the sheer amount of work that one has to put into it is nowhere near proportional to the actual reward you get out of it.

As for Potions, eh.

Sure that works all good and nice... until a potion runs out at just the wrong time because you got distracted or somesuch, and you scramble for the B key only to forgot that you had other buff potions on you and you end up wasting a bunch of potions you didn't really mean to use lol. Buff potions are OK for things that won't kill you if they run out at the wrong time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them for something like that.

That and you know, having to keep making them and having to keep using them to keep the buff up. I'd rather have something that's always there, and always active when it comes to something basic like movement.
guess i have insane amounts of luck for having bundle of balloons every game, also i can clearly se the potion timer and just use the bind i have to re drink it, so pretty much is a you problem

guess i have insane amounts of luck for having bundle of balloons every game, also i can clearly se the potion timer and just use the bind i have to re drink it, so pretty much is a you problem

So you're telling me that you find Sandstorms in a Bottle every playthrough?

[X]

yes actually, is it really that rare?

You gotta either find a pyramid (which is a rather low chance) and this pyramid must have a bottle in its one-and-only chest (which it shares loot with 2 other things, giving you a roughly 33% chance).

If that doesn't happen, then you have to fish it up. Which means fishing until you get a biome crate, and this biome crate would surely follow the same rules as the pyramid chest, so again, 33% chance of getting it.

Trust me, I've tried to fish up Sky Crates for balloons on the few times I did find a naturally occurring SSiaB back before 1.4 and promptly gave up on it after it took me 30+ minutes to catch the first biome crate, and 3 crates later I didn't get a single Balloon.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it takes enough work that by the time you get it done, you could easily be in hardmode with far better gear.

EDIT: Oh, and crate fishing stinks early-game: Limited crate potions, and you don't have the full angler's set, nor the GFR to make each cast faster and/or the tackle bag. By the time you get all of that stuff, you should be ready for Hardmode already lol.

You gotta either find a pyramid (which is a rather low chance) and this pyramid must have a bottle in its one-and-only chest (which it shares loot with 2 other things, giving you a roughly 33% chance).

If that doesn't happen, then you have to fish it up. Which means fishing until you get a biome crate, and this biome crate would surely follow the same rules as the pyramid chest, so again, 33% chance of getting it.

Trust me, I've tried to fish up Sky Crates for balloons on the few times I did find a naturally occurring SSiaB back before 1.4 and promptly gave up on it after it took me 30+ minutes to catch the first biome crate, and 3 crates later I didn't get a single Balloon.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it takes enough work that by the time you get it done, you could easily be in hardmode with far better gear.
well i keep finding balloons before a starfury, also i get like pyramids alot and finding that vanity that is found in a pyramid (forgot name) never happens to em except once, nd when i actually feel like fishing i get what i want in th first or 2nd try, so basicly now that you told me that the items can be rare my luck is gone now

yes actually, is it really that rare?
I have like over 6000 hours in terraria and so far I've gotten like... maybye 4 or 5 sandstorm in a bottles, I think I've actually gotten more Rod of Discords without even trying.

There aren't any crates that give sandstorm in a bottle, oasis/mirage crates give undergorund desert items which is a seperate loot pool.

The potion lasts for 10 whole minutes. That's longer than any boss fight will ever last. As for enemy encounters... just open your inventory and drink another one. That's 3 inputs in total. And again the potion is everywhere in Chests and Pots underground, and its recipe is super simple so availability is not an issue.

I hate using featherfall or gravitation potions during a boss fight.
It ends up with me just soaking up all the attacks instead dodging them.

(with exception of King slime ofc since it can't fly or shoot projectiles so he is no problem regardless of your mobility)

The potion lasts for 10 whole minutes. That's longer than any boss fight will ever last. As for enemy encounters... just open your inventory and drink another one. That's 3 inputs in total. And again the potion is everywhere in Chests and Pots underground, and its recipe is super simple so availability is not an issue.

Drink potion, run around the map for 9 and some minutes, get distracted whilst doing other stuff, get used to zooming and zipping around the map, 9:59 strikes in the middle of you gliding around in some large cave or maybe you're doing big jumps up on the surface, potion wears off suddenly, plop.

And "only 3 inputs" .... last time I checked, unless there's some easier way that I'm not aware of...

1). Hit escape to open inventory.
2). Click on the potion.
3). Drag the potion away from the inventory.
4). Click again to actually drink said potion.
5). Hit escape again to close the inventory.

Not something you would do in the ~4 seconds it would take you to fall to your death or end up in lava or what-not. *shrug*

Just saying, it has dangers.

Drink potion, run around the map for 9 and some minutes, get distracted whilst doing other stuff, get used to zooming and zipping around the map, 9:59 strikes in the middle of you gliding around in some large cave or maybe you're doing big jumps up on the surface, potion wears off suddenly, plop.

And "only 3 inputs" .... last time I checked, unless there's some easier way that I'm not aware of...

2). Click on the potion.

Not something you would do in the ~4 seconds it would take you to fall to your death or end up in lava or what-not. *shrug*

so basicly ur lazy about quitting the potion effect?

2). Click on the potion.

click the buff button if you don't want to die and use other potions in inventory to if you have them in your inventory
for me the buff button is b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom