Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OHK Sniper rifle is terrible, and the best PVPers know that. It's bullet is small and easily avoidable. If you watch somebody like Shinden or SashEx play, they don't stop moving and rarely get hit. Ninshu has also showed long list of deaths from somebody trying to use an OHK sniper, and failing horribly. Nebula Blaze can run out of mana fairly quickly, and terrarian has very limited ranged. With more skilled PVPers, you won't ever see them, you only see their projectiles at most. And, as mentioned before, you'll never see a skilled PvPer, so the Rainbow Crystal is useless. They are good in PvE, with the excepion of the sniper rifle.
not for mobile

Why would I need to depend on a statue when I could just... not, and be just as powerful, if not more?

I mean, I agree with you that Bladetongue is foolish for bosses. I don’t get using it in setup for anything other than true melee.

That does not, however, stop it from being immensely powerful for invasions nor does it stop Melee from using one of the many other high range items it has with an ichor flask.

The Bladetongue is on par with endgame weapons, why not use it?
Because There are better options for crowd control, such as Cursed Darts (it literally rains piercing projectiles all over the place at the same rate as the North Pole per projectile with a much better fire rate) and the Poison Staff at the exact same tier. Also, how is it on par with an endgame weapon. It's not even as powerful as other melee weapons at it's tier, and this is the class that can just use ichor flasks anyway so why would you ever need to limit yourself that much?
I mean, I agree with you that Bladetongue is foolish for bosses. I don’t get using it in setup for anything other than true melee.

That does not, however, stop it from being immensely powerful for invasions nor does it stop Melee from using one of the many other high range items it has with an ichor flask.
There are better options, mainly stuff other classes can use.

simply the best weapon for events is dart rifle, with cursed darts

Debatable, I don’t deny that Dart Rifle is powerful (maybe too much so?) but being able to deal 80+ damage a swing to an entire line of enemies- maybe twice depending on the way the ichor bounces - plus being able to protect yourself close ranged and applying ichor to everything is hard to compete with.

Debatable, I don’t deny that Dart Rifle is powerful (maybe too much so?) but being able to deal 80+ damage a swing to an entire line of enemies- maybe twice depending on the way the ichor bounces - plus being able to protect yourself close ranged and applying ichor to everything is hard to compete with.
It can't stunlock the entire screen on every horizontal axis at once like the Cursed Darts can, and the cursed darts don't even require you get up in the enemy's face to activate it.

dart pistol adds even more peircing projectiles due to the higher speed, with decent dmg (not as much and dart rifle) basically you don't have to move at all

It can't stunlock the entire screen on every horizontal axis at once like the Cursed Darts can, and the cursed darts don't even require you get up in the enemy's face to activate it.

No, but it does let you mow down crowds at hefty speeds just by walking forward. It knocks back enemies before they can touch you being a melee item, and Melee’s great synergy with defensive items means you will usually destroy the entire screen before taking really any damage from projectiles - further reinforced by the fact that the ichor will usually destroy enemies before they get a good line of sight.

I should clarify what I’m trying to get at here. I’m not trying to say melee is somehow the best class (we all know it isn’t) or that it outpreforms everything else, but it’s also not as completely crippled and useless as people like to pretend it is either. It has effective roles in niches, Bladetongue being wonderful for crowd killing and I’d argue it does stand on par with dart guns, and Shadowflame Knife being as good as later tier Magic weapons. Flails are immensely powerful in early game, yoyos pull DPS comparable to ranged, and Terra Blade is like, really good after its patch. Melee struggles with specific phases of the game like Wall of Flesh or Empress of Light, but saying it’s “complete trash” is just not even trying to see the class’ strenghs.

pirate invasion replaces goblin army in hm
It doesn't, I have gotten goblin armies in hardmode, with it being naturally, I never spawn it most of the time, they just come naturally. With pirate invasions literally I have to get the summon to spawn them, and yes the alters have been destroyed.... I still get goblin armies naturally instead of the pirate invasions lol(sometimes it may be naturally for the pirate invasion, but that is literally soooo scarce)

Melee is completely awful compared to the other classes until the zenith comes and hard carries it. You just try beating prehardmode bosses with it.

I've defeated Prehardmode bosses (granted, not *all* of them) with melee.

EoC? very do-able with the Starfury. Heck, I've even done it with Gold/Platinum/Ice swords before. Or a magical/ice boomerang would even work.
EoW? Easy-Peasy. It's a worm for Pete's Sake.
BoC? Easy. Use the Blood Butcherer for the eyes, a yo-yo or the fork for the 2nd stage.
Queen Bee? Any Sword + grappling hook will do. I commonly use the Fiery Greatsword.
King Slime? Starfury.
Skeletron? Flamarang or maybe a Yo-Yo.
WoF is the big one. If you were brave and had a really, really long straight bridge, you could use a yo-yo, as long as you were able to stay in front of it and dodge the stuff he throws at you.

So, I didn't realize there were a couple more pages of replies and so didn't see people talking about Mechs.

I've killed all 3 mechs with melee:

Destroyer? lol, Bladetongue can kill that in 30-45 seconds.
Prime? Yelets.
Twins? Yelets, again. But gotta be careful, as Spaz's green flame makes it hard to get hits on him without getting hit yourself, but if you're patient and know when to run away and when to dash in for a few hits, you can succeed. I've done it before.

That just leaves Plantera. Before 1.4, I always made a Terra Blade to make Plantera easy-peasy, though I suppose a Yelets would do with some creative dodging and some arena prep. And the Golem is laughably easy.

The cultist is done with the Terra Blade and the Eye Yo-Yo (the Blade makes quick work of any summoned wyverns), and then the Moon Lord is Solar Eruption for the first phase, and Daybreak for the second. Fishron, I usually just skip, as I see no real reason to kill him, but if I had to kill him, I'd probably use either Daybreak or Eruption, depending on phase and range.

I've defeated Prehardmode bosses (granted, not *all* of them) with melee.

EoC? very do-able with the Starfury. Heck, I've even done it with Gold/Platinum/Ice swords before. Or a magical/ice boomerang would even work.
EoW? Easy-Peasy. It's a worm for Pete's Sake.
BoC? Easy. Use the Blood Butcherer for the eyes, a yo-yo or the fork for the 2nd stage.
Queen Bee? Any Sword + grappling hook will do. I commonly use the Fiery Greatsword.
King Slime? Starfury.
Skeletron? Flamarang or maybe a Yo-Yo.
WoF is the big one. If you were brave and had a really, really long straight bridge, you could use a yo-yo, as long as you were able to stay in front of it and dodge the stuff he throws at you.
if you somehow got lucky and got the Terragrim (or arkhalis for people in 1.3) it completely destroys BoC, you can just stand still and the sword does all the dirty work

In post moonlord, or PVP, there is no point playing any class besides melee. You could fight Ninshu, SashEx, etc, and as long as you had a Zenith and they didn't, you'd have a small chance of winning. If neither of you had a Zenith, you'd lose.
PvP Players like Ninshu & SashEx shouldn't be used as examples to define the PvP Meta, as both have no clue of what ground rules mean. Are these two really good at all-out, guerrilla warfare, yes, they're exceptional, are they any good at Arena Settings? That remains to be seen. The reason I bring this up, is because changes in landscapes & Arenas are part of Terraria, building is just as much part of the game as swinging a sword. If these two did more Arena PvP, their perspective on balance would be welcomed, but their play styles are extremely polarizing because they somehow bully every person they fight into taking on EoL while having a 1 v 1 duel, that's cool & everything, but it's certainly not the Meta.

That isn't what ruins pvp. NinshuEx has stated that servers ruin pvp. Servers can't handle a weapon so they ban it, or servers can't handle the raw power of a player and bans them. Melee would be alright if there were final weapons for all classes. Melee is strong enough as it is, does it really need a weapon that deals 12k base dps? No other class can reach that, melee shouldn't either.
Again, these two aren't the authority on what good PvP is, because they don't care about it. Good PvP is about evolving the Metagame by implementing limitations, because at a certain point, you wanna be sure that fights are strictly skill based & that the potential for growth is constantly evolving, having a stagnant Meta is a disservice to everyone playing, which is why servers have bans on certain items. That style of play is just as valid as guerrilla warfare, only, it ensure that the Meta can evolve, by removing a LOT of the gimmicks that later gear promotes, with weapons like Starwrath & Last Prism.

P.S. I don't wanna expose these two, so please don't try to start spreading lies & rumors, I have screenshots & receipts. 😏 🥤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom