Tool Rupee Replacer - Change coins into rupees (Vanilla & tModLoader)

Found a few bugs.

When hovering over a rupee all it says for the tool tip is "Can be placed" when coins have an "Ammo" tooltip and have a damage amount. (See wiki page for coins.)

Also Coin Stashes you can find generated in your world don't have the right texture, they have the texture of the default coins.
(
$
$
$
$
)

Placed Coins when mined (Say they're green) when mined they'll have the Copper Coin particles not green.

Money Hair Dye doesn't work correctly and still uses the default coin colors (Copper, Silver, Gold, Light Silver/Platinum)

Thanks for all the bug reports. Unfortunately, the particles are the one thing that can't be changed because those colors are used for many other things that still require the normal color. I'll look into everything else when I have the time though. :)

Last edited:
No, I actually really appreciate it. These are things I definitely wouldn't have noticed.

The coin stashes will be tough since every other sprite was a full recolor but I might be able to cut out the non-coin parts if there's no color/pixel blending between parts. Either way I'm a perfectionist so I'll try my best. The hair dye will be an interesting bit of code to patch, thought probably not as difficult as the rupee coin lighting effects I did for the initial release.

In the end, I'll probably get around to this when next update comes around and I'll have to do patch maintenance anyways. I may get to the coin tooltip issue earlier since that's actually a bug and not just a missing feature.

Looks like the latest tModLoader version changed a bit of the patched code so you won't be able to patch tMod until it's fixed. I'll update this message when it's done. Thanks Petty:red: for letting me know on GitHub.

Edit: The latest fix (version 1.0.3.0) is out. The issue has been resolved.
When hovering over a rupee all it says for the tool tip is "Can be placed" when coins have an "Ammo" tooltip and have a damage amount. (See wiki page for coins.)

It turns out this is actually normal behavior, and either, the tooltip is different due to a mod, or you thought the wiki description was the same as the tooltip. Thankfully that's one less bug. :)

Last edited:
Hey, I have a minor suggestion for this add-on. You know those coin piles that can spawn underground, and in pyramids? AFAIK, those have not been replaced by rupees in this add-on. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am correct, then it would be great to see those get changed as well!

Hey, I have a minor suggestion for this add-on. You know those coin piles that can spawn underground, and in pyramids? AFAIK, those have not been replaced by rupees in this add-on. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am correct, then it would be great to see those get changed as well!

Yup, this is in fact on my todo once I work on this again. Akumu noticed this a little while ago already, along with noticing the money hair dye. Thanks for the tip though. :)
Also Coin Stashes you can find generated in your world don't have the right texture, they have the texture of the default coins.
(
$
$
$
$
)

Hm, patched tModLoader, it's still calling them coins when picked up, and the text color wasn't changed.

Let me look into it. It probably was working at one point (maybe), but tModLoader does update pretty often. I've already had to write one revision for a version change.

Hm, patched tModLoader, it's still calling them coins when picked up, and the text color wasn't changed.

I think what's happening is you've patched vanilla Terraria.exe, and you must have tModLoader.exe in the same folder. In this case, what's happening is the content files are all replaced, but the executable isn't patched. Make sure to select the correct executable in Terraria's location text box.

If this is in fact not the case, could you tell me what mods you are using?

is this going to be updated?

God, I hope so. <3 This is still my favorite of the tools I've made.

A lot of these tools were written back when I played Terraria religiously, so it was easy to figure out what needed changing and where. This also doubled as a way to test them extensively before being ready to release them. Which is why things have been moving pretty slowly lately :(

This is the Roadmap for when I do get to working on this again:

Rupee Replacer Bare-Minimum Checklist
  • Make sure patched game assets do not remove 1.4 content (such as updated spritesheets)
  • Determine what to do with localization. (Do existing patched lines need to be rewritten?
  • Update existing changes to the game. Changes to code that draws coins/coin text/coin particles. (This one I'm actually well prepared for since, I thought ahead and documented all the changes I made back in 2017)

The list above will only get the patcher back to a usable state with 1.4 (while only changing 1.3.5 features), but more work will be needed to support new 1.4 features that I'm not too well versed in yet.

Rupee Replacer 1.4 Additions Checklist
  • Find new uses of coins in game, like shop UIs, colored text, particles. And any important item names.
  • Update localizations to replace new mentions of Coins with Rupees. (This will likely take the longest, and support for other game languages will be lower priority)

If people know of new features, shop UIs, even text, etc. that involve coins. Then posting them here will really help me out a bunch. `:passionate:

Back
Top Bottom