• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Russian translation mistakes and bugs

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
@Alucard_I, I'm not part of the development team or working with the translators myself. Any posts you put here will be brought to the attention of the right people to consider your suggestions, though.
Ah, thank you. I don't know who does the translations/codes the game, so you were my best bet. Thanks for a quick reply! I'll be waiting here for an answer from someone who knows.

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
@Alucard_I, we decided as a team that we didn't have the pre-existing code in game or a practical way to manage item gender in regards to prefixes.

In essence; this is an acknowledged grammatical issue that is not likely to be changed in the foreseeable future.

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
@Alucard_I, we decided as a team that we didn't have the pre-existing code in game or a practical way to manage item gender in regards to prefixes.

In essence; this is an acknowledged grammatical issue that is not likely to be changed in the foreseeable future.
No workaround either, like "Breaker Blade [Modifier: Legendary]" ? That's a bit more gender-neutral, eh?

Human

Terrarian
No workaround either, like "Breaker Blade [Modifier: Legendary]" ? That's a bit more gender-neutral, eh?
I have suggested a Skyrim-like system where the modifier is put after the item name, abbreviated to drop the feminine/masculine/neuter/plural dependence and encased in round brackets, but no confirmation to that yet. For example, "Жезл раздора (Быстр.)" or "К.П.Д. (Нереальн.)". It would be a much easier system to implement and the developing team should definitely take a look at it. It is literally a matter of moving the modifier to the right: brackets can be embedded into the translated prefixes.

<doublepost merged by moderator>

Corruption
First and most disturbing (imho) is that Corruption translated as Порча. It's right in many occasions (like corrupt bunny, corrupt slime...) but if we're talking about biome it should be Искажение.

!NOTE
¤
Mi stands for minor mistake (may or may not be changed)
¤ Ma stands for major mistake (should be changed)
¤ D stands for item description

Mobs
•(Ma) Corruptor → Разлагатель. Should be Искажатель
•(Ma) Vile spit(projectile) → Злой плевок. Should be Гнусный плевок
P.S. every projectile/mob that kills player also got player("игрок")prefix player * was killed by player Vile spit(tr) View attachment 168273
•(Mi) Slimer → Слизнер. Should be Слизневик (or Лизун if it's a ghostbusters reference)
•(Ma) Ghoul → Вурдалак. Should be Гуль (Вурдалак is from European culture while Гуль is from Arabic)
•(Mi) Demon altar → Алтарь демонов. Should be Демонический алтарь (altar of demons instead of deamon altar)

Items
•(Mi) Dark shard → Осколок тьмы. Should be тёмный осколок (shard of darkness instead of dark shard) (D) Иногда бывает у существ в пустынях порчи. Should be Иногда бывает у существ в искаженных пустынях (/D)
•(Ma) Music box (corruption/underground corruption)→ Музыкальная шкатулка (порча/подземная порча).Should be Музыкальная шкатулка (искажение/подземное искажение)
•(Ma) Ebonwood → Черная древесина. Should be эбеновая древесина (dark wood instead of ebonwood)
•(Mi) Purple ice → Фиолетовый лёд. Should be Пурпурный лёд (violet instead of purple)
•(Ma) Vile thorn → Злая колючка. Should be Жуткий шип. (D) Призывает злую колючку. Should be "Призывает жуткий шип" (/D)
•(Ma) Corrupt crate → Ящик порчи. Should be Ящик искажения.
•(Ma) War axe of the night → Топор ночи. Should be Боевой топор ночи (missing "war")
•(Mi) The Breaker → Разрушитель. Should be Крушитель. (very minor, basically the same thing)
•(Ma) Scourge of the Corruptor → Плеть Пожирателя. Should be Плеть Искажателя (devourer instead of corruptor) (D) Мощное копьё, которое выпускает маленьких пожирателей. Should be Мощное копье, которое выпускает маленьких искажателей (/D)
•(Ma) Shadow scale → Кусочек тени. Should be Теневая чешуя (piece of shadow instead of shadow scale)
P.S. same goes with shadow scale armor set (and ancient one)
•(Mi) Vile shroom → Ужасный гриб. ╗
Ужасный should be changed to Жуткий (awful/terrible instead of vile)
•(Mi) Vile powder → Ужасный порошок(D) Запрещает освящение. Should be Уничтожает святые земли (/D)
•(Ma) Deathweed → Мёртвая трава
•(Ma) Deathweed seeds → Семена мёртвой травымёртвая трава should be changed to Смерть-трава (dead weed instead of deathweed)
•(Ma) Deathweed planter box → Кадка для мёртвой травы
•(Ma) Corruptor banner → Знамя разлагателя. Should be changed to Знамя Искажателя
•(Mi) Light's bane → Бич света. Should be changed to Гибель света (very minor, basically the same thing)
•(Ma) Night's edge → Грань ночи. Should be changed to Лезвие ночи (Грань in Russin refers to a geometric term "facet" or a border of smth)
P.S. same with True night's edge
•(Ma) Corrupt water fountain → Фонтан порчи. Should be Фонтан искаженной воды ("water" is missing)
•(Mi) Corrupt statue → Статуя порчи. Should be Статуя искажения.
•(Ma) Corruption key → Ключ порчи. Should be Ключ искажения. (D) Проклято мощным существом из жунглей. Should be Открывает Сундук Искажения, расположенный в темнице (/D)
•(Ma) Soul of night → Эссенция тьмы. Should be Душа ночи (wonder how all souls turned into essences) (D) "Создания из эссенции тьмы". Should be "Эссенция тёмных существ" (/D)
•(Mi) Shadow orb → Сфера тени. Should be Теневая сфера

Please do not suggest things based on personal preference. This matter has been talked over before. Community consensus is far too unstable to be relied on and doesn't always exist in the first place.

<triple post merged by moderator>

Okay, there is so much to go through, I'll just post everything I found so far.
Please note, that there are not only mistakes, but also some personal preferences that make the sentence/word/description sound better, but can be omitted nonetheless.
The template for every suggestion/correction:
#) Original
Original translation
New translation
Explanation to why I'm offering the change
ACHIEVEMENTS
Before we start, I'd like to point out that ALL achievements with more than one word in the name should have all words starting with a capital letter. It's not a rule, I'm just following the original.

1) Stop! Hammer Time! - Obtain your first hammer via crafting or otherwise.
Стоп! Время молота! - Получите свой первый молот, создав его или найдя.
Стоп! Время Молота! - Получите свой первый молот, создав или найдя его.
I just changed the order, so all the predicates are before the subject. It just sounds better this way.

2) Heavy Metal - Obtain an anvil made from iron or lead.
Хеви-метал - Получите наковальню из железа или свинца.
Хеви-Метал - Получите наковальню, сделанную из железа или свинца. OR Создайте наковальню из железа или свинца.
I changed the description to basically mean "obtain an anvil MADE of X" or "MAKE an anvil out of X". Before the change it sounded like "obtain it from X", which isn't quite right.

3) I Am Loot
Я есть добыча!
Я Есть Лут
It's a personal preference here. First of all, the original translation isn't referencing Guardians of the Galaxy at all. The new translation: a) Follows the original style, b) Makes the reference obvious. However, "Лут" is a word known by all gamers, but people who aren't gamers might not know the word.

4) Smashing, Poppet! - Using explosives or your trusty hammer, smash a Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart in the evil parts of your world.
Отлично, марионетка! - Используя взрывчатку или старый добрый молот, разбейте сферу тени или багряное сердце в злой части вашего мира.
Сокрушительно, Крошка! - Используя взрывчатку или старый добрый молот, разбейте Сферу Тени или Багряное Сердце в злой части Вашего мира.
First of all, the new translation changes the name to something better and it basically means "smashing, baby!". All the better than the previous one, which meant "Good job, marionette". The description isn't too different, "Shadow Orb" and "Crimson Heart" translations are the same, they just start with capital letters. The word "your", which translates to "вашего" now starts with a capital letter too. It isn't necessary, but it's more formal this way.

5) No Hobo - Build a house suitable enough for your first town NPC, such as the guide, to move into.
Без бездомных - Постройте дом, подходящий для поселения вашего первого НИПа, например, Гида.
Без Бездомных - Постройте дом, подходящий для поселения Вашего первого НИПа, например Гида.
Nothing major here. A minor punctuation mistake, plus I made "your" more formal.

6) Where's My Honey?
Где мистер Мед?
Где Мой Мед?
The original translation means "Where's Mr. Honey", not "Where's My Honey". Fixed that.

7) Sting Operation - Defeat the Queen Bee, the matriarch of the jungle hives.
Операция "Жало" - Победите Королеву пчел - повелительницу ульев в джунглях.
Операция "Жало" - Победите Королеву Пчел - повелительницу ульев в джунглях.
Just changed the Queen Bee's translation to start with capital letters.

8) It's Hard! - Unleash the ancient spirits of light and darkness across your world, enabling much stronger foes and showering the world with dazzling treasures (and rainbows!).
Какая сила! - Выпускает древних духов света и тьмы в ваш мир, что делает врагов намного сильнее и добавляет в мир невероятные сокровища (и радуги!).
Трудно! - Выпустите древних духов света и тьмы в Ваш мир, добавляя более сильных врагов и осыпая Ваш мир невероятными сокровищами (и радугами!).
First of all, the original achievement says "Such power!", which is wrong. Then I changed "выпускает" to "выпустите", from "unleashes" to "unleash", correctly translated "enabling" and "showering" and tinkered with the sentence to be grammatically correct. Also made "your" more official.

9) Begone, Evil!
Прощай, зло!
Изыди, Зло!
The new translation fits the original better. The original translation meant "Farewell, evil", which sounds silly, haha

10) Head in the Clouds
Головой в облака
Витать в Облаках OR Головой в облаках
The first new translation is an idiom, just like the original. The second new translation is the same as the original translation, but fixes the orthographic mistake.

11) Like a Boss
Как босс
Словно Босс
Changed the conjunction word (first one) to A) look and sound better, B) reference the meme.

12) Extra Shiny! - Mine a powerful ore that has been newly blessed upon your world.
Особый блеск! - Добудьте мощную руду, которой недавно благословлен ваш мир.
Особый Блеск! - Добудьте мощную руду, которой недавно был благословлен Ваш мир.
The original translation missed a verb. Also made "your" more formal.

13) The Great Southern Plantkill
Великий южный плантоубийца
Великий Убийца Растений с Юга
The reference is gone anyway, no matter how you translate the original. So I made a new translation that just sounds better and also points out that Plantera is, well, a plant.

14) Lihzahrdian Idol - Defeat Golem, the stone-faced ritualistic idol of the lihzahrd tribe.
Идол ящщеров - Победите Голема - каменного ритуального идола племещи ящщеров.
Идол Ящщеров - Победите Голема - каменнолицего ритуального идола племени ящщеров.
The original translation for "stone-faced" meant just "stone", now it means "stone-faced". Also fixed a orthographic error in the original translation.

15) Obsessive Devotion - Defeat the Ancient Cultist, fanatical leader of the dungeon coven.
Одержимая преданность - Победите древнего культиста - фанатика и лидера клана темницы.
Одержимая Преданность - Победите Древнего Культиста - фанатика и лидера культа темницы.
The Ancient Cultist's translation now starts with capital letters, just like in the original. Also changed the translation of "coven", so now it says "cult", not "clan".

16) Bloodbath
Кровавая ванна
Резня OR Кровавая Резня
The original translation... literally meant a bath of blood. The new translation is correct. Also, if you really want to keep the "blood" part, the second new translation is just as good.

17) Tin-Foil Hatter
Ненавистник жестянок
Алюминиевый Шляпник OR Алюминиевые Шляпки
The original translation meant "hater". The new translation references the tin-foil hats, just like the original. First translation means "tin hatter", the second "tinfoil hats".

18) Bulldozer - Destroy a total of 10,000 tiles.
Бульдозер - Уничтожьте в сумме 10000 плиток.
Бульдозер - Уничтожьте в сумме 10000 блоков.
Changed "tiles" to "blocks".

19) There are Some Who Call Him... - Kill Tim.
Некоторые называют его... - Убить Тима.
Некоторые Называют Его... - Убейте Тима.
Changed "to kill" to "kill".

20)
Deceiver of Fools
Обманщик глупцов
Обманщица Глупцов
Nymph is a feminine noun. It's now reflected in the name.

21) It Can Talk?!
Это может говорить?!
Оно Разговаривает?!
The original meant "this thing can speak". Changed to "It talks?"

22) Watch Your Step!
Смотри куда идешь!
Смотри, Куда Идешь!
Fixed a syntax error

23) Slayer of Worlds Defeat every boss in Terraria.
Истребитель миров - Победите всех боссов в Terraria.
Истребитель Миров - Победите всех боссов в Террарии.
Translated the name of the game.
Capitalization rules are completely different for English and Russian. The feedback is not fully correct. Words are only capitalized when if they are proper nouns/adjectives and/or begin the sentence/quote. Also, there is completely no need for the capitalized variant of "you(r)": it is only to be used in strictly formal letters.

And some things just aren't right:

2) "из" can be used as "made of" with no problem. The translation is correct. And do not forget that crafting isn't the only way to obtain the anvil.

3) This is controversial. The general stance here is "literary > slang". I am opposed to neither, but I think the literary one will stay.

7) "Королева" should be capitalized while "пчел" shouldn't.

15) Same deal. Capitalize "Древнего" and leave "культиста".

16) The translation is technically correct. If it were to be changed, "Кровавая баня" would be a better term.

23) Much like developers' nicknames, the name "Terraria" is not to be translated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
Capitalization rules are completely different for English and Russian. The feedback is not fully correct. Words are only capitalized when if they are proper nouns/adjectives and/or begin the sentence/quote. Also, there is completely no need for the capitalized variant of "you(r)": it is only to be used in strictly formal letters.

And some things just aren't right:

2) "из" can be used as "made of" with no problem. The translation is correct. And do not forget that crafting isn't the only way to obtain the anvil.

3) This is controversial. The general stance here is "literary > slang". I am opposed to neither, but I think the literary one will stay.

7) "Королева" should be capitalized while "пчел" shouldn't.

15) Same deal. Capitalize "Древнего" and leave "культиста".

16) The translation is technically correct. If it were to be changed, "Кровавая баня" would be a better term.

23) Much like developers' nicknames, the name "Terraria" is not to be translated.
If you were to read carefully what I wrote above, you'd see that what I'm proposing with the capital letters is basically following the original. Besides, capitalization rules aren't all that different for both languages. I suggest looking at them again. Not taking some exceptions into account, they're basically the same.

2) Without the adverb the original translation gives off an erroneous vibe. "Добудьте наковальню из Х" makes it sound like you have to obtain the anvil from something, but with an adverb we reinforce the original meaning by moving the condition to the adjunct part. It sounds better and more correct this way. Think of "Obtain a sword made of wood". With the current translation it would look like "Получите меч из дерева" and would have two meanings: either getting a wooden sword, or finding some tree and taking out a sword out of it. See what I'm hinting at? It's a personal preference, of course, but it's also more correct this way.
3) The original translation has no meaning behind it. If it's not a reference - then it's just a sentence with an error in it. We're a modern society, the slang terms should stay as long as they're not offensive. Besides, we get back the reference that way. Isn't that great?
7, 15) Same as above. I'm following the original. Queen bee in real life is written without any capitalized letters, so you should be seeing by now where I'm going.
16) This is a matter of preference.
23) It's not a big deal in many other games, they're being translated just fine. The title, of course, stays in the original language.

In future when you post something, please keep it all in one post! Thank you very much. I'll report your messages so they could be merged into one.

Human

Terrarian
If you were to read carefully what I wrote above, you'd see that what I'm proposing with the capital letters is basically following the original. Besides, capitalization rules aren't all that different for both languages. I suggest looking at them again. Not taking some exceptions into account, they're basically the same.

2) Without the adverb the original translation gives off an erroneous vibe. "Добудьте наковальню из Х" makes it sound like you have to obtain the anvil from something, but with an adverb we reinforce the original meaning by moving the condition to the adjunct part. It sounds better and more correct this way. Think of "Obtain a sword made of wood". With the current translation it would look like "Получите меч из дерева" and would have two meanings: either getting a wooden sword, or finding some tree and taking out a sword out of it. See what I'm hinting at? It's a personal preference, of course, but it's also more correct this way.
3) The original translation has no meaning behind it. If it's not a reference - then it's just a sentence with an error in it. We're a modern society, the slang terms should stay as long as they're not offensive. Besides, we get back the reference that way. Isn't that great?
7, 15) Same as above. I'm following the original. Queen bee in real life is written without any capitalized letters, so you should be seeing by now where I'm going.
16) This is a matter of preference.
23) It's not a big deal in many other games, they're being translated just fine. The title, of course, stays in the original language.

In future when you post something, please keep it all in one post! Thank you very much. I'll report your messages so they could be merged into one.
Problem is, excessive capitalization is strictly an English thing. In Russian, when it comes to proper names composed of multiple mundane words, usually only the first one is capitalized. For example, "Стена плоти" and "Пожиратель миров" as opposed to "Стена Плоти" and "Пожиратель Миров". You might as well fully capitalize all item names with the same success. I believe this phenomenon is called "американизм" and is the ultimate bane of many fanmade translations.

What I'm getting at here is that there's no "original style". Words in proper names cannot be written in lowercase because it is a crude stylistic error in English. Same deal with the item names in pretty much all games: they are capitalized because there's no other choice. Russian is completely different in that regard.

But most importantly, if the translation isn't broken, it will not be fixed by the team. As it was said earlier, the only things that should be reported here are those that are explicitly wrong or that are technically correct, but contextually very off. Otherwise there would be huge amounts of conflicting feedback.

Last edited:

Wonder_Truffle

Steampunker
Remind me why are we speaking English here? I'm not against it, just saying that it looks a bit silly when one Russian trying to explain smth to another with excessive use of English

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
While this thread is being reviewed by a Russian translator, none of the moderator team or the Relogic staff team speak Russian, so it significantly impairs any attempts to communicate or oversee this. Keeping things in English, even if a bit inconvenient, make it easier for communication, especially since we (and not the Russian translator) are able to be responding to this directly. It has to be feedback that we can understand, or we aren't going to be able to necessarily work with it.

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
While this thread is being reviewed by a Russian translator, none of the moderator team or the Relogic staff team speak Russian, so it significantly impairs any attempts to communicate or oversee this. Keeping things in English, even if a bit inconvenient, make it easier for communication, especially since we (and not the Russian translator) are able to be responding to this directly. It has to be feedback that we can understand, or we aren't going to be able to necessarily work with it.
Yeah, don't worry. We got it.
P.S.: I've always wanted to ask: why have translators whose native language is english and who speak russian and not vice versa? I see this all too often to be honest, it's a bit weird to me. Wouldn't it be easier to have an english-speaking translator from russia, who can understand the original AND translate everything without mistakes? I'm not saying anything like "hey wtf guys", I'm genuinely interested.

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
The dryad says the following when you check the world status:

[Name of world] is [hallow percentage]% hallow and [crimson/corruption percentage]% [crimson/corruption].
In russian it looks like this:
upload_2017-5-3_18-55-9.png

This looks absolutely horrific in russian. A simple workaround would be:
Hallow/Crimson/Corruption covers [Name of world] by [hallow/crimson/corruption percentage]%.
Or, in Russian:
Святость/Порча/Багрянец покрывает [Name of World] на ХХ%.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
The dryad says the following when you check the world status:

[Name of world] is [hallow percentage]% hallow and [crimson/corruption percentage]% [crimson/corruption].
In russian it looks like this: View attachment 168679
This looks absolutely horrific in russian. A simple workaround would be:
Hallow/Crimson/Corruption covers [Name of world] by [hallow/crimson/corruption percentage]%.
Or, in Russian:
Святость/Порча/Багрянец покрывает [Name of World] на ХХ%.
Unfortunately, this is not a simple workaround: [name of world] is [hallow percentage]% hallow and [crimson/corruption percentage]% [crimson/corruption] is the syntax written in the code, and isn't adaptable for other languages (gendered articles have the same problem). Re-Logic could technically edit it to work with other languages, that's their call, but I'm just informing you that at the very least it's not straightforward.

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
Unfortunately, this is not a simple workaround: [name of world] is [hallow percentage]% hallow and [crimson/corruption percentage]% [crimson/corruption] is the syntax written in the code, and isn't adaptable for other languages (gendered articles have the same problem). Re-Logic could technically edit it to work with other languages, that's their call, but I'm just informing you that at the very least it's not straightforward.
Then it's up to Re-Logic. At the very least my solution doesn't take in account gendered articles and is absolutely neutral.

Necrius

Skeletron Prime
Вообще-то огр и людоед в русском по сути однозначны.

CrimsHallowHero

Terrarian
[Mythical] "Загадочный" -> "Мифический". Incorrect translation, furthermore, have identical translation to Mystic modifier.
[Slush] "Ил" -> "Слякоть". Identical to translation of silt.
[WoodenSpike] "Деревянное копье" -> "Деревянный шип". Current translation means "Wooden spear" instead of "Wooden spike".
[ArapaimaBanner] "Знамя арапиамы" -> "Знамя арапаимы". Typo.
[EbonsandBlock] "Эбонит" -> "Эбонитовый песок". "Sand" was omitted. Identical to translation of Ebonstone.
[DartPistol] "Темный пистолет" -> "Дротиковый пистолет". Dart was translated as Dark for some deeply hidden reason.
[DartRifle] "Темная винтовка" -> "Дротиковая винтовка. ^^^

Arian

Terrarian
Ух, :sigh: мог бы прилично дополнить этот список ошибок но мне лень все выискивать) если на память то например все женские персонажи ведут диалоги в мужском роде. Есть же вполне добротный русификатор от L&K, почему не взять перевод из него?

Вообще-то огр и людоед в русском по сути однозначны.
Ну не знаю по мне так: огр это огр, а людоед это людоед - два разных типа монстров.

Arian

Terrarian
Ну ошибки и у них были (которые со временем правили), но во всяком случае не полностью промт перевод который выдали за профессиональный. Вообще, если со временем разрабы все таки сделают действительно качественную русскую локализацию, то я только за).

Alucard_I

Official Terrarian
Ну ошибки и у них были (которые со временем правили), но во всяком случае не полностью промт перевод который выдали за профессиональный. Вообще, если со временем разрабы все таки сделают действительно качественную русскую локализацию, то я только за).
А зачем тут эта тема по-твоему, лол

Top Bottom