Game Mechanics Ruthless mode

Kats

Pixel Pirate
Yo...

So, expert mode is not hard enough for I bet quite a lot of people, personally found it kind of underwhelming, don't get me wrong, it's great and does provide a good challenge and I'm loving it.
But personally I'd like for an even harder difficulty, and this is where Ruthless mode comes in. ;>
Bosses would have new mechanics, some mobs would have new mechanics.

Ruthless mode would have new armor/weapons available from each boss that only drops in ruthless mode.
They would be boss themed with set effects having something to do with the boss.

This wouldn't be some kind of top priority thing, but maybe something to think about? :>
Will add possible new mechanics for mobs and bosses when I think of them.

Eater of World's expert mode projectiles could immobilize the player or slow the player down drastically, and small baby eaters (size of the pet you can get) would start spawning after 10 segments have been killed.
Eye of Cthulu's new attack during second phase, but not when using his super speed from expert mode could be eating the player up, the player loses HP every 0.3 seconds until he spits you out about a second later.
All slimes can now shoot slime at you.
Zombie Archers can spawn in this mode.

Along with new armor/weapons I also suggest a new crafting station, maybe not only ruthless mode but would be hard to balance if it wasn't ruthless mode only as I'm thinking mobs/bosses/items would be balanced, taking this crafting station into account.

What is it? Kind of like an imbuing station, but not really.
Well, what it would be is that every mob in the game has a chance to drop "souls", like zombie souls or what not and when you get a certain amount of these, you can go to this new crafting station and craft a gem of sorts that you can place in slots in weapons/armor, which you then can replace when you feel like it.
The gems would be possible to level up causing greater effects to occur simply by imbuing more souls into it.

Perhaps even being able to add more slots to the weapons/armor, like max 4 slots in weapons and 2 slots in armor.

This giving new effects to the weapon/armor, armor getting more defense against this particular mob and some other neet effect like 10% chance to cause confusion upon being hit or 25% chance to slow or cause a knockback, chance to gain more defense upon being hit, stuff like that.
While weapons would get higher damage against this mob, along with some neet effect like chance to cause bleed/poison or shoot projectiles that the enemy shoots, stuff like that.

Obviously there would only be one soul for each type of enemy, so no need to make a separate effect for 23 slimes for example.

Me randomly thinking of ideas....

EDITS:

Removed buffing HP/damage and Day/Night time length; Reason: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/ruthless-mode.30895/#post-687297

Last edited:
With mobs and bosses having even more HP and hurt even more
One of the.... ehem... complaints about expert mode is that beefed stats don't really make an interesting fight. I think more ruthless enemy A.I.s alone would serve better, with the current expert mode stats.

Night time and day time would be lengthened in this mode (mostly so bosses don't disappear on you because you took too long, which is quite possible even in expert mode if you don't start the fight as soon as night starts.)
Sorta double-edged, if you ask me. Too long a period of peace, too long a period of pain.

I don't think leveling up really suits the current game. Even for augmentations. We always move to the next thing.

One of the.... ehem... complaints about expert mode is that beefed stats don't really make an interesting fight. I think more ruthless enemy A.I.s alone would serve better, with the current expert mode stats.

Sorta double-edged, if you ask me. Too long a period of peace, too long a period of pain.

I don't think leveling up really suits the current game. Even for augmentations. We always move to the next thing.

You're right on the stats now that I think about it.

Also removed making day/night time longer now that I removed buffing HP and damage.

The gem level up would be minor, wouldn't be able to level them up indefinately, I'm thinking you would level them until the rarity is max, which is purple now.
The effect would be useful even late game for some gems, all comes down to personal preference, you could roll with a gem you got from slimes all the way to end game, would still serve a purpose.
Leveling them up is pretty much to help them be useful even in end game.
Could expand on the gem idea a lot more, the defense/damage against the type of enemy you got the soul from could be removed, as that's the one thing that wouldn't be all that useful late game if you got it from a slime or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom