Game Mechanics Sandstorm prerequisites

Feaw

Spazmatism
Pretty much all events in the game have at least one prerequisite to balance the game.
Sandstorms can occur on the first day and first time entering a desert biome. To players with no adequate equipment or skills, the Angry Tumblers and harsh winds heavily hindering movement [and increased Antlion spawnrates? Not sure if this is actually the case but it seems to be] may seem to be a bit steep for that point of the game.

I personally have no trouble with them, but I can see this being a major annoyance to new and probably many regular players.
Blood Moons and Slime Rain require you to at least have more HP, and in the case of the Slime Rain, more defense. The same applies to the Eye of Cthulhu.
You could simply have similar requirements for the sandstorm, requiring around 140-200 HP, and 6-10 defense, since they're trickier than the two events mentioned before (to me anyways).

In hard mode, the new enemies, and the Dune Splicers especially could become an issue for players just entering hard mode, especially with the harsh winds.
Hard mode is less of an issue, but it's more of a personal issue because of my adventure map featuring deserts heavily and starting in hard mode, but random sandstorms early on are way beyond the skill-level required than for the rest of the early portions of the map. Later on this won't be an issue when better equipment has been obtained, but early on, an unlucky sandstorm can become a nasty problem. Also they can severely mess with platforming and puzzle sections.

So a simple requirement for those enemies to spawn would also be very appreciated.

Since the Forbidden Armor requires the tier 3 hard mode ores, it's implied that farming the sandstorm enemies should be done close to, or after beating a mechanical boss, or at least after an altar has been smashed.
However, since smashing an altar or defeating a mechnical boss triggers many other events that one might not want to happen yet, another way to trigger the sandstorm enemies would be consuming one Life Fruit, since that can be done right after beating a mechanical boss (and in adventure maps you can skip that part and simply obtain a Life Fruit, enabling the new sandstorm enemies).

Another way could be defeating an Ice Golem (or preferably, obtaining a Frost Core), kind of putting emphasis on the two related/contrasting events in blizzards and sandstorms. It could be justified with the Sand Elementals being enraged at the player besting the ice creatures, their brethen, and unleashing new enemies during sandstorms.
Blizzards are tame in comparison since they don't hinder movement, and Ice Golems can easily be avoided by using blocks to your advantage. And as they have big hitboxes, they also can't walk into tight corridors. Blizzards have no enemies that can travel/attack through blocks (besides common Wraiths), while sandstorms are almost entirely comprised of them.

I really do hope and would appreciate this gets addressed since it seems odd sandstorms have zero requirements when they can be a notch above other events/areas that do have requirements, and it would help out tremendously with custom maps.

Last edited:
I had the idea myself to make the sandstorm debuff an expert mode exclusive debuff.
I don't mind the sandstorm itself, but it's the pushing wind that makes it really annoying for new and advanced Terrarians.

That could also be a thing, similar to water in the ice biome slowing the player in expert mode.
However, if they were to address this, I would prefer two different levels depending on the mode. Normal mode simply slowing movement just a little, but in expert mode the current level (or even more).

My main issue is with the enemies, though. But the winds can also be a problem with platforming and puzzles.

I agree, I hate the angry tumblers pre-hardmode, and the dune splicers hardmode. They seem utterly out of league until you get to mid pre-hardmode / mid hardmode (roughly when you kill a mech boss) respectively.

Sounds reasonable for pre-hardmode. The requirement being defeating at least one boss (King Slime or EoC are the obvious ones). Not so sure about the hardmode requirements though. You could gate the more difficult enemies behind a mechanical boss. (Similar to how the Solar Eclipse works.)

Back
Top Bottom