Biomes & Nature Sandstorms are tied to Windy Days

Dapling

Duke Fishron
Sandstorms should always be active if the Windy Day event is active, because in real life they are exclusively caused by high winds anyway, and it's not like the sand will randomly decide "hm today I will not to be moved by wind in the slightest". This would also solve the problem of there being no way of notifying the player when a sandstorm is occuring, forcing them to miss out on their loot, and effectively makes it easier to get their loot without directly buffing the event. I... really wish there was more to say on the matter.

Last edited:
Maybe they could happen during Storms, instead, since I think Windy Days are a liiiittle too common on their own.
Also, y’know, Sandstorm.
I mean, I get that, but I'm not sure about it. It seems a bit weird for rain to be one of the causes of a storm of sand particles flying everywhere, and I also feel like storms are both a little too rare and a little too short for an event which is the only source of a material important for mages, summoners, and hybridizers in general.

It's hard to please with the sandstorms. They used to be common and go on it seemed like forever. Wasn't too bad except getting hit by one early on in the game.

Then they changed how often they happened and now I rarely see one. There's really only one creature that is worth farming from that and that is the Sand Elemental. I wouldn't exactly call the Forbidden Fragment a game changer more like something extra for the collectors. Aside from the Sand Elemental and Sandsharks everything else can be found underground in the desert.

I think an event summon item would be a great way to make them happen for people.

It's hard to please with the sandstorms. They used to be common and go on it seemed like forever. Wasn't too bad except getting hit by one early on in the game.

Then they changed how often they happened and now I rarely see one. There's really only one creature that is worth farming from that and that is the Sand Elemental. I wouldn't exactly call the Forbidden Fragment a game changer more like something extra for the collectors. Aside from the Sand Elemental and Sandsharks everything else can be found underground in the desert.

I think an event summon item would be a great way to make them happen for people.
I suppose, but Forbidden Armor is still really good for hybridizing and the Spirit Flame is one of the best mage weapons for killing your first mechanical boss. I guess it's only really relevant for mages and summoners, huh. :p

I actually do really want a way to summon windy days though, because I love their atmosphere and I never get to see Angry Dandelions.

It is good armor and I personally make use of the Spirit Flame. If you get the timing down right against certain enemies it is one of the best weapons. I was just trying to point out that I don't feel like too much of the games mechanics should be based around it.

If you are having difficulties with it at the moment you could try using the Sundial or sleeping in a bed. Could speed things up a bit but yeah waiting for this stuff is no good.

I do think they are tied to wind, but as it was pointed out, don't always occur on windy days. I think I read on the wiki that they have a chance to occur when the wind is above 30 mph? if they do would always occur, that could be annoying too though, but now they are often nonsensically rare, and sometimes end very quickly. Farming for forbidden fragments, or getting all the bestiary entries can be very tough, because it's so rare...

Where's the desert acolyte (Thorium mod) when his power to summon sandstorms is needed? XD
I do wonder though, if we're at it, if he will be able to summon sandstorms any time once Tmodloader catches up, or only on windy days or something?

Seriously, it would be very convinient to be able to summon sandstorms via items or anything. it can take ages to gather a few forbidden fragments...

To be honest, I'd like a way to cancel sandstorms more than a summoning item. I'm trying to uncorrupt one of my deserts and i'm getting sick of flying halfway across the world to get back to it after getting mauled by 3 dune splicers at the same time, and it just won't go away. At least I'm getting all the forbidden fragments I need...

Sandstorms are indeed tied to wind. You can only have a sandstorm start if there's a windy day active. (Sandstorms can continue after the windy day ends; they have their own end time.)

My gripe with sandstorms is that they're in no way guaranteed and you don't know when they happen. Consider Blood Moons and Solar Eclipses have popup text. Blizzard is guaranteed if there's rain. A storm is guaranteed if you have rain + high wind. Sandstorms are the lone one out.

I'd like any (or all) of the following:
  1. Sandstorms are announced in the chat like BMs / Eclipses
  2. Sandstorms have a summon item
  3. Sandstorms are guaranteed upon certain pre-conditions (e.g. wind >30 mph)

Sandstorms are indeed tied to wind. You can only have a sandstorm start if there's a windy day active. (Sandstorms can continue after the windy day ends; they have their own end time.)

My gripe with sandstorms is that they're in no way guaranteed and you don't know when they happen. Consider Blood Moons and Solar Eclipses have popup text. Blizzard is guaranteed if there's rain. A storm is guaranteed if you have rain + high wind. Sandstorms are the lone one out.

I'd like any (or all) of the following:
  1. Sandstorms are announced in the chat like BMs / Eclipses
  2. Sandstorms have a summon item
  3. Sandstorms are guaranteed upon certain pre-conditions (e.g. wind >30 mph)
I know that they are tied to wind, it's why I made that one joke in the OP. It really doesn't make sense to have them just be random when everything else that is has a way of notifying the player.

Sandstorms should always be active if the Windy Day event is active, because in real life they are exclusively caused by high winds anyway, and it's not like the sand will randomly decide "hm today I will not to be moved by wind in the slightest". This would also solve the problem of there being no way of notifying the player when a sandstorm is occuring, forcing them to miss out on their loot, and effectively makes it easier to get their loot without directly buffing the event. I... really wish there was more to say on the matter.
I 1000 percent want this in my world 80 percent fo the time their is always a sandstorm in my desert

Back
Top Bottom