Game Mechanics Sanity Buff/Insane Debuff

Could this work? No? Okay.

• Total voters

GAMINGPEA_64

Skeletron Prime
I think it would add a challenge if in Expert mode, if you battle Monsters/Bosses, Spend too much time underground, Or havent taken a break in a while or spend too much time in the evil biome, You would get the debuff "Insanity". During the Insanity state, you're damage would be cut in half, you would sometimes get confused, you're magic skills are rusty *Cause you gotta focus and you cant while insane* and The NPC's would comment on you're mental state. Like the Merchant would be like "[PLAYER NAME], You dont look so good...Are you okay?", and depending on how Insane you are, some NPC's would even be scared of you. While you're insane, you're hair would be messy, you're clothes would be dirty, you would have bags under you're eyes and you're pet would look worried for you. Some ways to become Sane again is Spend time in a town with NPC's, Fish, If you're in multiplayer, stay atleast 10 blocks in range with another player or splash you're self with some holy water. If you become too insane, you would hear a ringing sound, the screen would shake slightly, you would see things that arent there, the vison would be in black and white, you would be confused more often and some NPC's would start attacking you out of fear. I feel like this would be a way to tell players to sometimes take a break and relax.

This just seems like a complete and utter nuisance and would add nothing good to the game. Fighting stuff and mining underground are literally the two core mechanics of the game, and punishing people for that is extremely counter-intuitive. Evil biomes are in a similar boat, just on a much smaller scale.

Terraria's main focus is allowing the player to play the game how they want to play. It tries to to be not be restrictive while still maintaining a progression system. As MinerTurtle said, this suggestion is extremely counterintuitive. There is also no reason for the game to tell players they should take a break and relax. That's your parent's job not Redigit's.

I think the community's general opinion on this topic has already been established.

So from here on out, maybe we could dedicate some time to discussing what makes a suggestion good and fun, rather than annoying and counterproductive. I can tell that GAMINGPEA_64 is a bit frustrated by this, so this would be a nice thing to do for his benefit.

Here's my two cents:
  • The best suggestions are the ones that provide players with more options to play with. The worst suggestions are the ones that take options away, such as by wrestling control away from the player, or forcing them to do a repetitive task before they can continue to play normally. Fishing for useful and exclusive loot? Yeah, that's fine. But forcing players to eat fish every twenty minutes so they don't starve to death? That's not fine.
  • It is okay to add realism to Terraria, but do not add real-world elements that make the game less fun. In the real world, weapons break after extended use, and people starve to death when they don't eat. These mechanics may be present in certain survival games like Minecraft, but Terraria is not a survival game. In fact, the lack of a durability and hunger system can be considered one of Terraria's founding principles.
  • I think you should shift your mindset away from punishment and instead focus on suggestions that add content while taking nothing away. For that purpose, it would be a good idea to focus on sections other than Game Mechanics for a while. When it comes to suggestions, it's better not to break the mould, especially if you're just starting out.
I may update my guide (here) with this information if people think it would be useful. Could you read it and let me know if something like that would be necessary?

If this gets implemented this will be the end for speedrunners lol

Though it might make sense to put a Sanity meter in such a harsh environment, it will make the game over complicated and you'll have to take a break every 5-10 minutes or so (But there are a lot of people playing for like 2 hours straight, like me :dryadtongue:). Also note that this game is rated 12+ and isn't related to horror in anyw- Ok take that back I just saw the Crimson Biome lol

I think the community's general opinion on this topic has already been established.

So from here on out, maybe we could dedicate some time to discussing what makes a suggestion good and fun, rather than annoying and counterproductive. I can tell that GAMINGPEA_64 is a bit frustrated by this, so this would be a nice thing to do for his benefit.

Here's my two cents:
  • The best suggestions are the ones that provide players with more options to play with. The worst suggestions are the ones that take options away, such as by wrestling control away from the player, or forcing them to do a repetitive task before they can continue to play normally. Fishing for useful and exclusive loot? Yeah, that's fine. But forcing players to eat fish every twenty minutes so they don't starve to death? That's not fine.
  • It is okay to add realism to Terraria, but do not add real-world elements that make the game less fun. In the real world, weapons break after extended use, and people starve to death when they don't eat. These mechanics may be present in certain survival games like Minecraft, but Terraria is not a survival game. In fact, the lack of a durability and hunger system can be considered one of Terraria's founding principles.
  • I think you should shift your mindset away from punishment and instead focus on suggestions that add content while taking nothing away. For that purpose, it would be a good idea to focus on sections other than Game Mechanics for a while. When it comes to suggestions, it's better not to break the mould, especially if you're just starting out.
I may update my guide (here) with this information if people think it would be useful. Could you read it and let me know if something like that would be necessary?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom