Save Draft confusion

Bry

Steampunker
I was typing up a Suggestion over several days' time, saving almost religiously because I've lost a suggestion to the draft presumably just not saving in the past. Yesterday, however, when I finally realized that this was a stupid idea and that I should probably save the BBCode on Notepad or something, I find that the draft has mysteriously disappeared, throwing away almost a week's work.
Again, this isn't the first time this has happened, but this confirms that it wasn't simply user error. No, I never clicked Delete Draft (no idea why that's even there, honestly).

Is there some weird time limit that doesn't care about the last time you worked on the draft? Can I just not trust the website? Is it an issue on my side? Is there a thread on here that explains all of this in painstaking detail and this is all my fault for never bothering to read? This last one's just grasping for straws, but is there a way I can recover at least a fraction of what I lost???

Drafts are saved for 24 hours. After that period of time, they are deleted. We're not entirely sure if that goes for thread drafts as well, but it's good to err on the side of caution.
Can I just not trust the website?
I realise that question is most likely rhetorical, but the honest answer is that no, you can't, or at the very least shouldn't rely on it. Anything that you save as a draft is saved in the forum database for a per definition limited amount of time, beyond your own control (it can be wiped without notice at any moment for various different reasons, for example the time limit expiring). If you are planning on working on a draft for a longer period of time, you should save it to your own drive (which is both local and permanent).

I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do for you given the circumstances.

• Love
Reactions: Bry
I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do for you given the circumstances.
Yeah, I figured. Appreciate it nonetheless.
Good to know about the time limit though; hopefully this gets me to remember to save stuff onto Notepad next time.

Back
Top Bottom