Biomes & Nature Jungle Saved!

Do you want the jungle to be protected?

• Yes! I only want my jungle to be protected from the corruption, none of that cross-biome nonsense.

Votes: 1,185 58.8%
  • Yes! I want the jungle to fuse with the spirits of light and dark. (Comment on what you want added.)

Votes: 628 31.2%
  • No! I love watching the jungle wither away to become a corrupt wasteland that can never be restored.

Votes: 68 3.4%
  • Uh… I don’t really care… Am I supposed to?

Votes: 135 6.7%

• Total voters
Unlike what some might say, personally I find it more interesting for biomes to cross over.
I'm a little beat for enemy ideas, and I'm not sure if anyone has said this already, but all crossed biomes have 1 or two shared enemy types between all or most variations. Like how the evil deserts have ghouls and djinns, and how infected snow biomes have pigrons.

This thread was rewritten as of June 1, 2015, the old version of the thread can be found in a spoiler at the bottom of the page.

One of the things that always bothered me is how the corruption and crimson interact with the jungle. When one of these biomes gets too close to the jungle, they replace the jungle grass and turn the mud into dirt (a process that can only be reversed by replacing each individual block by hand). This never made any sense to me, as none of the other biomes can be permanently damaged by corruption and it gave me the impression that the player was expected to protect the jungle, even though there was nothing else in the game suggesting this. It became even worse in 1.2, when the jungle became an integral part of hardmode and we got the clentaminator to fight back against the spreading biomes, yet this mechanic was left unchanged and the clentaminator wasn’t able to reverse the damage. I think it’s time to fix that.

The first way this could be done is by simply giving jungle immunity to corruption and crimson, just like it’s immunity to the hallow. Mud and jungle grass would be completely unaffected by corruption, and the jungle would be immune to all the spreading biomes just like the dungeon and underworld. This would be the easiest way to protect the jungle, and also seems to be the most popular. However, it could also greatly reduce the amount of corruption/crimson generated upon the defeat of the Wall of Flesh if the stripe would have gone through the jungle. This is actually a problem with the hallow, and it can leave many players with only a small amount of hallow located deep underground, as seen here.

The second way this can be fixed is by allowing all the spreading biomes (including the hallow) to convert jungle grass and plants instead of replacing them, growing on the mud in the jungle instead of turning it into dirt. With this change the clentaminator could be used to restore the jungle, and it wouldn’t get in the way of spreading biomes when the wall of flesh is defeated. This would also make it easier for players to farm both jungle enemies and corruption/crimson/hallow enemies at the same time, and it could allow for more content like the light/dark mummies in deserts or pigron in snow biomes. Although this would take a bit more time to implement then the first option, it just makes more sense this way and is consistent with the other natural biomes.
kdcROYP.png
And there it is, I finally got around to rewriting this old thing (hopefully it wasn’t too long…) Anyway, if you’d like to support this suggestion, you can add a support banner to your signature. Just copy one of the strings of code below and paste it here.
View attachment 54902
Code:
[Url=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/save-the-jungle-v2.2398/][Img]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/new_jungle_banner-gif.54902/[/img][/url]
View attachment 117235
Code:
[Url=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/save-the-jungle-v2.2398/][Img]http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/savethejungle-png.137887/[/img][/url]

And here's the old version of this thread, in case anyone was interested.
View attachment 117235
If you want to support this thread, add the above image to your signature and link it here. To do this, copy the following text and paste it in your signature
Code:
[URL=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/save-the-jungle.2398/][IMG]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/savethejungle-png.117235/[/IMG][/URL]
Re-uploaded from TO, with a few minor edits

The jungle is one of the most important biomes in terraria. It is home to many vital plants and animals, but the corruption (or crimson) threatens to wipe them all out. Once hardmode is activated, the corruption can permanently destroy the grass that sustains every living thing in the jungle. If the corruption was already next to the jungle, or it spread there upon the death of the wall of flesh, it will be nearly impossible to stop it from wiping out the jungle.

I’ve always wondered why the jungle can be destroyed by the corruption and crimson, as well as why the hallow can’t touch it (but I’m not about to complain about that). Although it didn’t matter much in 1.1 because there wasn’t anything important in the hardmode jungle, this should have been changed when 1.2 came because so much progression is centered on the hardmode jungle now. Without the jungle it’s impossible to get chlorophyte ore, which is needed to craft most of the endgame armor sets as well as clorophyte weapons and tools. The jungle is also the only place that you can get life fruit and fight Plantera, meaning without the jungle it becomes impossible to obtain most of the endgame gear or get 500 health. If the jungle is lost to the corruption or crimson the player is forced to either build an artificial jungle or make an entirely new world, and that’s just not fair.

The easiest way to fix this problem would be to simply make jungle grass and mud un-corruptible, making the jungle immune to corruption and crimson like how it’s immune to the hallow. However, another way to solve this problem is instead of letting the jungle be completely destroyed by the corruption and crimson, the jungle could be converted into a corrupt, crimson, or hallow jungle like how the snow biomes can be converted with the different colors of ice. If happened the jungle content would still be there along with content from the biome the jungle was converted into. There should be aesthetic changes when the jungle is converted (New background plants and walls, as well as new music). There could also be cross-biome content that only appears when the jungle is converted, like how pigron and the scaly truffle only appear in converted snow biomes.

So what do you think, Do you want to stop the corruption and crimson from destroying the jungle? Do you want the jungle to get a lot of new cross-biome content, or do you want it to stay untouched? Vote in the poll on what you want. Personally I want to see a hallowed jungle just so I can hear the music you get when you mix the jungle and hallow themes together.

(P.S. I know this doesn't mean much, but this was my first thread on TO)
just like it’s immunity to the hallow
I think the jungle is susceptible to the Hallow, but I don't know for certain.

[doublepost=1550452786,1550452519][/doublepost]I would like to preserve the jungle, but the idea of Chlorophyte* being able to be infected by another biome would be awesome!
*ONLY Chlorophyte, mind.

Fair enough. Didn't think there was enough stone for that in the jungle. I've had the hallow spawn through it before to no issue, guess I just got lucky.

Can confirm for you, the jungle isn't susceptible to Hallow, unless already corrupted by Crimson/Corruption.
Thank you. I've seen both literally right next to each other, which led me to believe, knowing the infectious nature of the Hallow, that it'd infect the jungle. However, I didn't know for certain, so I didn't completely believe myself.

well, Crimson certainely won't have time to spread into the jungle before I Don't need it anymore, so that's might be why I'm not concerned about it. On the other hand, that's because in my world (medium sized), there's only 3/4% of base Crimson, and the jungle I have is Nothing short of gigantic.

Even if it gets corrupted/crimsoned, which I doubt it'll get (since i'm actively removing pre-hardmode Crimson with dynamite), I have the option to recreate an artificial biome, Don't I? I got all the stuff for that.

EDIT: and about the fully corrupt, I might precise after the end of the game (or at least after I got all I needed for end-game stuff)

it's no permanenelty destructible, it's actually just pesky to revive. It actually make me think to another point of view… a bit more philosophical and environementally(help me who inveted such an awful world to write) friendly! Maybe the game tries to learn us to protect the forst and show to us it's a hard work of maintaining a world that gets so easely overridden by corruption (pollution?)

As of 1.3, the Jungle is, at least partially, safe. Chlorophyte actually converts the dirt around it in a pretty wide area into mud. It can take a while to get going, and it only works far enough underground, but the Jungle can retake most of what it loses. It isn't necessary to do anything to protect the Jungle unless you care about the surface Jungle.

Really. I was surprised, too.

#savethejungle if it's gone how will we get to plantera and golem we need the game to progress
Golem is unaffected by spreading biomes.
As of 1.3, the Jungle is, at least partially, safe. Chlorophyte actually converts the dirt around it in a pretty wide area into mud. It can take a while to get going, and it only works far enough underground, but the Jungle can retake most of what it loses. It isn't necessary to do anything to protect the Jungle unless you care about the surface Jungle.

Really. I was surprised, too.
The jungle is still not safe, chlorophyte is another threat.

Golem is unaffected by spreading biomes.

The jungle is still not safe, chlorophyte is another threat.
The spread of the Chlorophyte itself is still limited in density. It just protects a significant area beyond where it can directly grow

Back
Top Bottom