Game Mechanics Save the Sentries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leechheart

Skeletron Prime
In 1.3.4, they added the most stupid mechanic in the game, which is having a Sentry Capacity. This is stupid, because now a summoner needs to have all of their equipment COMPLETELY DEVOTED TO SENTRIES just in order to be able to summon barely more than originally. This is the most stupid game mechanic, as the previous limit was 4 (1 for each of the 4 sentries)

So here's how I think it should be fixed:

The character is allowed to have:

1 Queen Spider
1 Frost Hydra
1 Lunar Portal
1 Rainbow Crystal
1 Tavernkeep Sentry

Using any of the Sentry armor will increase only your amount of tavernkeep sentries while all of the normal Sentries keep a capacity of 1. Considering that all of the Tavernkeep Armor was meant to be used with their specific Sentries, this makes perfect sense.

As a Console Summoner, I am completely terrified for 1.3.4, as I will lose about 33% of my damage. Considering this event was supposed to be the best for summoners, this mechanic is literally the worst thing in the game for any late-game summoners.

Whats the point of a star wrath and a meowmere when you can only swing one at a time?
They are each better in different situations, eg Star Wrath is better against a martian saucer, whereas Meowmere is better against Moon Lord. And you can use Daybreak and Solar Eruption against different enemies. But with sentry weapons, it just doesn't make sense because you don't use them as a primary weapon, they are secondary weapons that do a good load of damage (especially for a summoner). I don't think they would've given Moon Lord 2 sentry weapons if there was a limit on them from the beginning.

You pretty much just answered your question.
Did you not just understand my whole point? I never said that the sentries are better in different situations, I was talking about the example that @Aa13873 said with the Meowmere and Star Wrath. I said that you should be able to summon multiple of them at the same time because they are secondary weapons that you do not constantly use, unlike the Meowmere and Star Wrath. Some things fly over people's head nowadays.

Maybe the max sentry count should be half of your minion count? That would give summoners an opportunity to have several sentries but non-summoners still only 1.

"Did you not just understand my whole point?" "I said that you should be able to summon multiple of them at the same time because they are secondary weapons that you do not constantly use." "Some things fly over people's head nowadays."
Oh, it didn't fly over my head. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't really need to use more than one of the ML sentries. And about what you said about them being "secondary weapons you do not constantly use", ever heard of the summoner class? That entire class is based entirely on minions, and sentries are pretty much stationary minions, so that statement is invalid. Also, I actually see the Sentry Capacity as a good thing, because being able to summon an unlimited amount of sentries is too overpowered.

"secondary weapons you do not constantly use", ever heard of the summoner class? That entire class is based entirely on minions, and sentries are pretty much stationary minions,
<Content removed by Staff> the sentries are secondary weapons because they aren't what your character is BASED ON and therefore should NOT have ARMOR for them.
You do realize that devs do this for a reason, it isn't some 2 year old smashing keys on a computer.
Yeah, well devs make a lot of mistakes, like giving moon lord 2 sentries but making you only use 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I use summoner dumbass, the sentries are secondary weapons because they aren't what your character is BASED ON and therefore should NOT have ARMOR for them.
1. How am I supposed to know you use summoner? 2. No reason to throw names at people for not knowing something. 3. The armor, and it's purpose, has mostly to do with the event their from, although that's EXTREMELY obvious, except those 6 others like Stardust and Tiki, which are like that for class progression, but you already know that as well.

Last edited:
While, why am I not seeing a thread about multiple minion kinds? Sebtry and minion seem to be diversifying into different classes with similar mechanics, and I don't want that squashed.

1. How am I supposed to know you use summoner?
You're not supposed to, you just said that I don't know how the class works, which I do because I'm a summoner.
While, why am I not seeing a thread about multiple minion kinds? Sebtry and minion seem to be diversifying into different classes with similar mechanics, and I don't want that squashed.
I'm saying that they shouldn't really be separate classes, there's really not different classes for the other types (you could argue ranger with shroomite armor, but in the end all of that turns into the same class) whereas with summoner you have minion summoner and sentry summoner classes. I just think that you should be able to use all of the non-tavernkeep sentries at the same time because the 1 sentry limit is a major nerf to summoner (which isn't even the most powerful class), because it's pointless to use non-tavernkeep sentries with the tavernkeep armor. I mean, they could even buff the tavernkeep armor and give nerfs to the other sentries for all I care, I just want to use the ones I've been using.

Or an alternative could be that wearing Stardust Armor gives you no sentry cap, just 1 per normal staff and 1 tavernkeep sentry, like suggested before.

I just think that the Sentry Limit is pretty stupid since there are 2 ML sentries as well as the Frost Hydra to choose from, especially when MOST players choose not to use sentry armor that only benefits sentries they won't use

I guess there's no point in doing anything though, because nobody from Re-Logic is ever gonna see this or change anything anyway. Just me ranting I guess.
[doublepost=1519696974,1519696874][/doublepost]
Maybe the max sentry count should be half of your minion count? That would give summoners an opportunity to have several sentries but non-summoners still only 1.
Ooh I think that's an amazing idea. But the number would only be for normal sentries, whereas TK sentries are affected by sentry armor.

Its not like this is a proffesional job or anything.
You do realize that the devs have made many mistakes in the past...if they didn't then there wouldn't be balance changes or any of that. Also it's not a very proffesional job, they're an indie company with one big game, they're not nintendo, or any other big gaming company. They're bound to make mistakes. When they originally implemented this it was the best thing they could think of, but there are alternatives. I honestly don't see why people are against this, it's not like you're going to lose anything from it.

You do realize that the devs have made many mistakes in the past...if they didn't then there wouldn't be balance changes or any of that. Also it's not a very proffesional job, they're an indie company with one big game, they're not nintendo, or any other big gaming company. They're bound to make mistakes. When they originally implemented this it was the best thing they could think of, but there are alternatives. I honestly don't see why people are against this, it's not like you're going to lose anything from it.
If a new charachter spawns with solar flare armor and a meowmere, they dont lose anything. But it breaks the balance and lessens the games value.

If a new charachter spawns with solar flare armor and a meowmere, they dont lose anything. But it breaks the balance and lessens the games value.
Having multiple sentries doesn't break the balance in the game though, (Late-game) Summoner's not even as powerful as Mage, even on Console where there's still no sentry limit.

CAN I GET A FLAME WAR?! YA!!
Anyway, if this is about power, why would you request a game mechanoc change to boost one spot of the game instead of a simple buff to one of the sentries?

CAN I GET A FLAME WAR?! YA!!
Anyway, if this is about power, why would you request a game mechanoc change to boost one spot of the game instead of a simple buff to one of the sentries?
It's not about power at all, I would much rather have my sentries than have them be OP, because I think it's more fun to have more minions/sentries, that's why I chose summoner, also the Sentries benefit all classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom