Scariest game ever?

At risk of sounding cliché..
My favorite horror game, and one that had me quaking in my earthquaking boots when I first played it, is Silent Hill 2. From the music, to the story behind each and every thing that happens in the game, to the way the town was designed. It was insane for its time, along with Silent Hill 1--They didn't just place random town signs everywhere, each road has a name, each non-residential building its own history that comes together in the spiral of self-punishment that is the town of Silent Hill.

Speaking of "spiral of self punishment", that's my favorite part about SH2. The town itself is an entity, with a mind of its own. It doesn't harm those who don't deserve it. Only those who have done horrible things in the past are called to the town, where most end up dying, and very few repent and escape. For an example, Laura, a young girl, visits the town looking for her friend. She wasn't called to it like James was, and thus she sees nothing the other characters see. No blood, no horrible creatures, just an abandoned ghost of a town. And that, to me, is horrifying in that special way.

These days it's a tradition of mine and my wife to play through the original 3 games each year on halloween, and the games don't really have an effect on us anymore, sadly, but even then each playthrough of Silent Hill 2 is a treat.

Last edited:
In the original Unreal, the Scaarj would pop out and scare the :red: out of me - only fun the first time though.

Dead space. Just got this one alien isolation in essence make sure you wear headphones on that one you will not be able to sleep all night

Generic horror with it's jumpscare elements is a lil too boring for my taste. Though Five Nights at Freddy's took an interesting turn with tying down the player in one spot and forcing them to wait for the worst. The feeling of helplessness and inability to defend yourself, as well as only one goal, survival, is a neat factor in horror games. Then again any psychological horror is the best kind, if you'd ask me. Doesn't even have to involve anything that scares you physically - just leaving you mentally puzzled and terrified for weeks to come is more than enough for a good scare.

Kinda disappointed that I can't think of any game to specifically mention though, as the only ones that come to mind weren't as much horror, if at all, as they were disturbingly disgusting and sickening in more ways than one, haha. Definitely makes me rethink my life choices orz

Hmm, it's Outlast for me.
"Meh, this isn't that sca- [scream]"
Mostly it's because for the "suddenly it appear" moment, scare the crap out of me

Mostly it's because for the "suddenly it appear" moment, scare the crap out of me
And it only gets scarier in the DLC (Just the Vocational block is scarier than the rest of the DLC and the main game), as it´s torture scene doesn´t involve dialogue that might be amusing.

At first it was Resident Evil. Then along came Silent Hill. I know it doesn't seem much if you play it on an emulator today, but back when it was released on the PS... Holy crap. Of all the scary, creepy and disturbing :red: I best remember the air sirens that would blare when you started slipping to that other place.

Though, even creepier were the times when you simply went through a normal doorway and suddenly realized holy :red: I'm in that other place again!!

Thank you! Yes! Silent Hill scared the balls offa me when I was a kid; I had nightmares. >.< Man, I love that game so much. Good times. :D

That damn Teletubbies game i saw Game Grumps playing. Eeeuugh.

Most horror games don't really work on me. I might jump, but my reaction is to kill whatever did it. If it's a horror game where you can't fight back, that just annoys me because humans are capable of more than you'd think.

Corpse Party.
If you start out with no knowledge of it what-so-ever, you're gonna freak out. Same goes for "The Crooked Man". Oh! Both such great games! :3
The Crooked Man has a lot of jump scares. To the point where you are constantly hesitating to do anything. xD

Corpse Party.
If you start out with no knowledge of it what-so-ever, you're gonna freak out. Same goes for "The Crooked Man". Oh! Both such great games! :3
The Crooked Man has a lot of jump scares. To the point where you are constantly hesitating to do anything. xD

Ah corpse party, a game that will cause you to get eviserated py piano strings, cause your character to swallow scissors, cannibalize your own friends, stabbed by scissors, etc.

Other then that, I think I'll list off some RPGMaker games that I found kinda freaky.

Witch's House, The Mad Father, Ib, and Misao. Its fun getting murdered by a piano, turned into a doll by your own father, being chased by are that wants to murder you, and getting killed by a freaky toilet ghost.

Outlast:Whistleblower
[WARNING] 18+
Blood, sexual content, necrophilia,screamers, violence...

yea i have to agree with you guys, outlet was pretty scary, and even though i got tired of the similar enemies, i was always heart pounding when a guy was right behind me and i climbed in vent in the nick of time. also, not as scary, but the scene in bioshock infinite where you when into the future with the boys of filence was pretty scary for me, mainly because i would always get detected and have to fight about 47383563 guys at a time and always leave a fight with very low health. mainly scary for the second reason

Back
Top Bottom