PS5 Screen goes black after I hit play

zenbeast1215

Terrarian
Every time I try to play terraria, my screen goes black. The game loads fine, but when I try to click on any character I have, even if I make a new character, the screen instantly goes black while the music still plays. It seems to only be my account. My brother can play it on his account on my system and has no problems. I have tried everything from uninstall/reinstall, reload saved data from the cloud, create new characters, etc. it has been months since I have been able to play, unfortunately. I have tried everything i can think of. I also reached out to PlayStation, but they told me to come here. I would appreciate any suggestions. This is one of my favorite games, and I would love to start playing it again

I am not able to even get to the point of creating a new world. As soon as I am on my menu and I select my character, it goes black. I have tried it with multiple characters. Seems like it is anything on my account

I have uninstalled, signed out, then reinstalled and signed in, again black screen after I hit the play button.
My brother can literally go on my ps5 on the same system, tv, and controller and sign into his account and go to his characters and play
I went in and deleted all my saved data, thinking maybe corruption, which sucked because 167 hours played. Unfortunately, even with nothing saved and a new character, it still won't let me play. I honestly dont recall anything happening before this error. I just went to play one day, and I was blacked out
I have reached out to playstation and 505 games and they haven't been able to help me either. At this point as much as I would love my characters back because I had so many items, I would just be happy if I could play the game again with my main account . Any help please?

Last edited:
Have you tried fully powering down your system and restarting it? It's definitely odd that it's only happening to your Playstation Account.

no i dont play online. I play single player. I still have my saves uploaded to the cloud incase I can ever play them again but I am getting the feeling I am going to be screwed

no i dont play online. I play single player. I still have my saves uploaded to the cloud incase I can ever play them again but I am getting the feeling I am going to be screwed
Well in the meantime you can play with a different account but this is definitely a strange bug. @Nescre Is there somewhere he can send his data to get analyzed for the root issue?

Thanks for the report - would I be able to request a .zip of all your Terraria files? If you could DM this to me either on forums or Discord (Nescre#0001), I’ll be able to investigate this further.

Every time I try to play terraria, my screen goes black. The game loads fine, but when I try to click on any character I have, even if I make a new character, the screen instantly goes black while the music still plays. It seems to only be my account. My brother can play it on his account on my system and has no problems. I have tried everything from uninstall/reinstall, reload saved data from the cloud, create new characters, etc. it has been months since I have been able to play, unfortunately. I have tried everything i can think of. I also reached out to PlayStation, but they told me to come here. I would appreciate any suggestions. This is one of my favorite games, and I would love to start playing it again

I am not able to even get to the point of creating a new world. As soon as I am on my menu and I select my character, it goes black. I have tried it with multiple characters. Seems like it is anything on my account

I have uninstalled, signed out, then reinstalled and signed in, again black screen after I hit the play button.
My brother can literally go on my ps5 on the same system, tv, and controller and sign into his account and go to his characters and play
I went in and deleted all my saved data, thinking maybe corruption, which sucked because 167 hours played. Unfortunately, even with nothing saved and a new character, it still won't let me play. I honestly dont recall anything happening before this error. I just went to play one day, and I was blacked out
I have reached out to playstation and 505 games and they haven't been able to help me either. At this point as much as I would love my characters back because I had so many items, I would just be happy if I could play the game again with my main account . Any help please?
Given your hours, I think this is the universe trying to tell you something...

In all seriousness though, how old are your characters? Do you remember the versions in which they were created?

Thanks for the report - would I be able to request a .zip of all your Terraria files? If you could DM this to me either on forums or Discord (Nescre#0001), I’ll be able to investigate this f

Given your hours, I think this is the universe trying to tell you something...

In all seriousness though, how old are your characters? Do you remember the versions in which they were created?
sadly I dont i think they were created in like 2018 or 2019

Thanks for the report - would I be able to request a .zip of all your Terraria files? If you could DM this to me either on forums or Discord (Nescre#0001), I’ll be able to investigate this further.
Alternatively, we also have a form you could use which would still anonymize your files: Smartsheet Forms

sadly I dont i think they were created in like 2018 or 2019
I would've suggested that something may have gone wrong on the developers' end which cause characters created around that timeframe to have issues like the ones you've described here, but I feel if that were the case, then we'd be seeing these reports coming in en masse...

Unfortunately, I don't know what could be going wrong other than something on the dev's side of things screwing up. This is definitely one of the stranger bugs that've gone the rounds...

Hey so it turned out to just be a simple corrupted map. Out of curiosity I tried playing on my brothers playstation and some of my progress was there. So we downloaded everything from the cloud and then it wouIdn't work again which told us there was a bad file. I guess when we originally deleted all the files we did it through the game instead of doing it through the save game data system.We just had to delete everything and download in groups until it quit working and then delete that group and download individually until we found the bad file. Everything is working great now! Thank y'all so much for your help!

Hey so it turned out to just be a simple corrupted map. Out of curiosity I tried playing on my brothers playstation and some of my progress was there. So we downloaded everything from the cloud and then it wouIdn't work again which told us there was a bad file. I guess when we originally deleted all the files we did it through the game instead of doing it through the save game data system.We just had to delete everything and download in groups until it quit working and then delete that group and download individually until we found the bad file. Everything is working great now! Thank y'all so much for your help!
By any chance, do you still have a backup of the problematic world handy? If so, would you be able to send it to us using the above form?

Additionally, do you know the rough creation time of the world? (Was it made during 1.3? Before? After?)

Back
Top Bottom