Biomes & Nature Seasons... Again... :/

rubeszilla

Terrarian
Seasons...

Been done before, here's a recent one by Vladamier. I have a fairly different spin on it so I hope y'all don't mind yet another seasons suggestion. Ta.

Some things we need to know first...

There are 8 phases of the moon per cycle, a season is 3 moon cycles, which is 24 days, which is 9.6 player hours, which makes a Terrarian year 96 days, which is 38.4 hours of player time.

Before we go on please note that I have changed the already seasonal content to fit Terraria's time, not our real time as it currently is in game. Some of you might hate this, sure. I personally don't wait for those times and will instead change my PC clock to get that content when I want it. I'm also pretty busy around Christmas with family and summer (down here) so I don't game much then. I understand if you disagree, it's just an idea.

And now for a breakdown of the seasons.

SPRING
--------------------

Spring is the Terraria as you know it. As it's the way the game was designed, we'll measure the others against it. Why does the angler give you the Fuzzy Carrot? I say he doesn't give it to you but rather it has a chance to drop from the common Slime during Spring. The only other change is Slimageddon!!

SLIMAGEDDON
"Slimageddon has arrived!"
"The Slimageddon has been defeated!"
The Slimageddon is a random event that causes 99 aggroed slimes to appear at spawn (yay Slime Staff). Now I won't go into the details here as this suggestion is focused on seasons and similar suggestions have already been made (see the TO post by MrSandwhich). There is a 1 in 10 chance of a Slimageddon occurring each day in Spring after the first week. If the event doesn't occur then it automatically falls on the last day. Players can summon the event with a Slime Engagement Ring made from 99 Gel and 1 Diamond Ring (sold by the Traveling Merchant after a Slimageddon) at a Demon/Crimson Altar.​

SUMMER
--------------------

• Rainfall is high, 24% chance as opposed to the 18% standard of Spring.
  • The spawn rate of Scorpions and Black Scorpions in the desert doubles.
  • Green Slimes, the weakest Slimes, were common in Spring, now the Blue Slime (the next up in Slime tiers) is more common.
  • 1-2 seeds drop from plants as opposed to 1-3.
  • Sunflowers appear.
  • Pink Prickly Pear spawn more commonly on cacti.
  • One Legged Frog mount can be fished up from Golden Crates. The One Legged Frog allows similar hopping abilities to the Frog Leg but is slightly more powerful.
SUMMER SOLSTICE
"Summer Solstice has arrived!"
"Summer Solstice has finished!"
Summer Solstice occurs in the mid-week of summer, the 8 days of the second moon cycle. During a Summer Solstice there is a 10% bonus to fishing each day. The Traveling Merchant always spawns on the first day of the solstice and will always be selling the Sitting Duck Fishing Pole and the Water Gun. The Traveling Merchant has a new line which is always spoken first on this day:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." (a direct quote from Doug Larson).​

AUTUMN
--------------------

• Rainfall is low, 12% chance.
  • All the leaves on the forest trees turn golden brown (this doesn't affect other biomes like the ocean or jungle, only the forest).
  • The next strongest Slime, the Red Slime, is more common.
  • The critter rate is halved (50%).
  • The last two moon cycles of Autumn hold the Halloween seasonal content. (This is 16 in-game days or 6.4 hours of gameplay for your information.)
  • 1 seed drops from blooming plants.
  • Black Widow mount. Found in Goodie Bags during Halloween. The Black Widow spider mount allows the player to go sideways down walls and upside down on roofs (and possibly on background walls, but sprites *gasp*).
  • Softmode: The chances of a Blood Moon increase from 1 in 10 to 1 in 9.
  • Hardmode: The chances of a Solar Eclipse increase from 1 in 25 to 1 in 20.
WINTER
--------------------

• Rainfall is normal.
  • The golden brown leaves on the forest trees have mostly fallen off.
  • There are 1/5 (20%) the amount of surface critters, including Fireflies and Butterflies.
  • All forest and Snow biome surface water (not jungle, desert, or ocean) is covered in thin ice (you know that annoying stuff in the underground snow yeah?).
  • Grass Dirt blocks have little white specs in them signifying frost.
  • Most tragically, all surface plants including Daybloom and Mushrooms don't spawn at all.
  • The last two moon cycles of Winter hold the Christmas seasonal content.
  • Purple Slimes, the toughest of all surface Slimes, are the prevalent Slime species.
  • 0 seeds drop from blooming plants.
  • Dire Wolf mount. (Sold by Traveling Merchant in any biome in Hardmode Winter.)
  • Softmode: The chances of a Blood Moon increase from 1 in 9 to 1 in 8.
  • Hardmode: The chances of a Solar Eclipse increase from 1 in 20 to 1 in 16. A solar Eclipse is guaranteed to occur on the last day of Winter.

In the end I think this concept is probably a little too complex for the game but I enjoyed doing it because I'm on holidays, am hungover as hell, and have nothing better to do. Maybe I'll contribute something better in time. I avoided any important mobs and rare important drops because the seasons take so long to come around and that would only frustrate players.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that end-game equipped players should wait 28.8 hours doing chores (because they already have everything done except for the moon events) until summoning a moon event when winter just ended, for the extra minute?

So what you're saying is that end-game equipped players should wait 28.8 hours doing chores (because they already have everything done except for the moon events) until summoning a moon event when winter just ended, for the extra minute?
No, no. The Pumpkin Moon (Pumpkin from Dryad, Ectoplasm, Hallowed bar) and Frost Moon (Silk, Extoplasm, Soul of Fright) can be summoned whenever the player wants. The Halloween and Christmas seasons are separate things.

No, no. The Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon can be summoned whenever the player wants.
The Halloween and Christmas seasons are separate things.
I'm aware of the fact that they can be summoned whenever, but strategically, winter gives the player a full more minute to fight the invasion, a full more minute to get better loot!

Oh yes, that's the idea. :)

I was thinking of keeping day/nights lengths the same but I like the difference. Spring and Autumn are normal lengths, Winter you get a bonus minute, and everyone goes fishing in Summer. I like that it makes you plan a bit more.

Last edited:
Oh yes, that's the idea. :)

I was thinking of keeping day/nights lengths the same but I like the difference. Spring and Autumn are normal lengths, Winter you get a bonus minute, and everyone goes fishing in Summer. I like that it makes you plan a bit more.
You can't really plan with it though if the only thing you need is winter and every other season is just a waste of time. I'd end up going AFK for 29 hours when all I need is to kill the moon events.

Challenge yourself in 9 minutes instead of 10? I dunno. Fair enough, you're not into the time changes. Notch one up against the time changes.

Actually, you're probably right. 9.6 hours is a long time between seasons. I could make a season shorter or ditch the time changes altogether...

EDIT: Yeah, I removed time changes.

Last edited:
Well....it...needs....work....so....at...least...its...a...work..in...progress?
Seasons would be nice, just maybe as a mod.
so no support, but still interested.

I actually really like it, but it HAS to have some sort of time passing objects. Maybe 4 items, 2 that make time pass(one of those being cheaper and less effective) and 2 that reverse the moon cycle, one being cheaper and less effective also.

I actually really like it, but it HAS to have some sort of time passing objects. Maybe 4 items, 2 that make time pass(one of those being cheaper and less effective) and 2 that reverse the moon cycle, one being cheaper and less effective also.

What about the 4 items match the 4 seasons, so you can summon a season at will? If this or your suggestion was the case I'd probably have to change events auto-falling on certain days to prevent players from spamming them.

Back
Top Bottom