Game Mechanics See if Journey Mode can integrate features from the mod "Research System from Terraria 1.4"

Zahnrad

Terrarian
One of the main things that got me back into Terraria was Journey Mode's Research system and when trying out tmodloader I was pleasantly surprised to find a mod existed that attempts to do the same thing in older versions. For those curious, the mod is here.

While it took me a bit to get used to, this nails the system on the head, but without the cool graphics and animation that Journey Mode has. Unfortunately accoring to the in-game "More Info" box it states that it will not be updated for 1.4 once tmodloader reaches it, which is a shame and is mainly the reason I'm making this thread. It's possible someone else might try to restore these features into the Journey Mode version later but in the event it does not, I hope that maybe some of them can be put into the base game, optionally, not mandatory.

The feature I'm the most interested in is how researching an item will automatically research things that can be crafted if you have already researched the other components/ingredients, this also applies to work stations, e.g. if you wanted a door, you would research wood, because you've researched wood, by extension you have researched work bench, and because you have researched the work bench, a work bench and wood criteria is met so you research doors. The mod author states at the bottom of the OP they plan on making a mod after which will implement this into the Journey Mode version but there are other features that probably won't cross over.

Such as "Research difficulty" where you can universally adjust how much research you need for things, scaling in regard to each other.
Last two being Quality of Life changes.
Shift+Clicking will both put the item in the research box and research it rather than having to do one action after the other.
Researched Ammo and Consumables are infinite, this would solve the problem in current Journey Mode where you have to keep restocking your consumables.

I might be missing more, but I'm sure if there's an interest there's always a chance to test it for yourselves and see what you think.
All credit to @JPAN for creating an immensely useful mod of course.

Back
Top Bottom