PC Server lag

X3kuba3X

Plantera
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to fix server lag (possibly related to mods or tmodloader)?
If this is the wrong place to ask then tell me where to post this (or if someone can then move the post into the right forum)
I'm not also talking about FPS lag, i'm talking about something like ping lag.

I'm playing with a couple of mods (that i will put later in the post) with my friends right now , but recently my friends #1 and #2 started getting lags while playing on my server. They couldnt do certain actions or they were delayed like:
- Picking up items
- Teleport using teleporters
- Destroy and place blocks
I gave my friend #1 the world files and they started to host the server. Friend #2 had no problems on it, but I had those lags mentioned up above.
It's defo not a issue related to my internet.

Mod list from the enabled.json file:

"CalamityModMusic",
"FKBossHealthBar",
"SacredTools",
"FargowiltasSouls",
"AlchemistNPC",
"AutoTrash",
"BossChecklist",
"Fargowiltas",
"imkSushisMod",
"Loot",
"Luiafk",
"MagicStorage",
"MaxStackPlus",
"RecipeBrowser",
"ShorterRespawn",
"SummonersAssociation",
"VeinMiner",
"WheresMyItems",
"Wireless",
"WitchDoctorSellsChlorphyte",
"imkSushisModOldRecipesEnabler",
"DiscordRP",
"DSCountdown",
"WMITF",
"ThoriumMod",
"CalamityMod"

All mods are updated
I might remove Magic Storage, as its known to be buggy, but i doubt it will help.
I will not remove those mods: Calamity Mod (no music, music and extra music), Thorium Mod, Luiafk, imkSushisMod, Fargowitas Souls, AlchemistNpc, SacredTools

EDIT: For absolutly no reason, it sometimes decides to remove calamity mod no music from my list of mods, i dont know why??

Last edited:
Yeah, I've had similar issues even with vanilla. The server just seems to stop sending messages to the client for a while. Items can't be picked up, wiring stops working, players freeze. I also suspect this might be due to high latency.
Maybe try hosting using the dedicated server, instead of host & play. It won't help with the latency, but I've had better luck with it for some reason.

Maybe try hosting using the dedicated server, instead of host & play. It won't help with the latency, but I've had better luck with it for some reason.

We are using the start-tModLoaderServer-steam-friends.bat file to create servers, not host & play

We are using the start-tModLoaderServer-steam-friends.bat file to create servers, not host & play
Oh, well I don't know then. Try pinging your friend's IP address, to see how much the delay actually is. How often do you get this lag? If you can reproduce it reliably, it might be worth hooking up a profiler to the server, to see what it's actually doing. Terraria's network related code is pretty ugly, so I wouldn't be surprised if it just hung up sometimes on its own for no good reason.

How often do you get this lag? If you can reproduce it reliably, it might be worth hooking up a profiler to the server, to see what it's actually doing. Terraria's network related code is pretty ugly, so I wouldn't be surprised if it just hung up sometimes on its own for no good reason.

^ Every time, i tried disabling all mods and joining back, didnt work, i restarted my PC and internet, didnt work. My friend #1 (with the server) had to go so i cant test anything right now.

On a side note, i started the server again and friend #2 didnt have any lags, but we couldnt attack anything.

I don't have much time today (school work) so i can't really check anything right now.

^ Every time, i tried disabling all mods and joining back, didnt work, i restarted my PC and internet, didnt work. My friend #1 (with the server) had to go so i cant test anything right now.

On a side note, i started the server again and friend #2 didnt have any lags, but we couldnt attack anything.
Since the problem persists even without mods, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the vanilla one. If you have the time, maybe try checking with a vanilla dedicated server, just to make sure.

If you are using steam to connect to the server, try it with just the bare TCP if you can set that up. It seem like steam has been causing issues for many people.

school work
Yep, I can definitely sympathise with that. ;(

Back
Top Bottom