Switch Setting hard mode freeze

jeffwf21

Terrarian
Hello everyone! I couldn’t find a switch version of this problem so here I go.

Playing expert, large world, corruption.

Beat WoF. Snatch up loot. Mirror home. “Setting hard mode” appears. Waiting, no problem. Once progress gets to 44%, game freezes. I let it run frozen for an hour to see if it was just going through a moment. Nothing changes. Repeated the exact process twice.

Close process only for my terrarian to wake up at home. No hardmode, WoF is alive and well, all my pre fight buffs are active, but potions are gone.

Any help would be appreciated as I am sick of fighting the WoF.

Additional edit: through other posts I found the bug report form and submitted a form. I am, however, unsure if I did it correctly.

Last edited:

Beat WoF. Snatch up loot. Mirror home. “Setting hard mode” appears. Waiting, no problem. Once progress gets to 44%, game freezes. I let it run frozen for an hour to see if it was just going through a moment. Nothing changes. Repeated the exact process twice.

Close process only for my terrarian to wake up at home. No hardmode, WoF is alive and well, all my pre fight buffs are active, but potions are gone.

Additional: background music plays until 44% setting hard mode. Then stops.
Additional edit: through other posts I found the bug report form and submitted a form. I am, however, unsure if I did it correctly.
Hi there @jeffwf21 welcome to the forums. This is the best spot to post bugs so you’re in the right area. :)

When this happens are you playing docked or undocked? If you’re undocked, try docked. Also, before loading the game, can you try completely shutting down the Switch (press and hold power button, Power Settings>Shut Down).

Other things to try before fighting the Wall of Flesh (for the millionth time) is to change a couple settings…
  • Change lighting to Trippy. Settings>Video>Lighting Mode
  • Turn background off. Settings>Video>Backgrounds
  • Turn screen effects off. Settings>Video>Screen Effects
  • Reduce VFX quality to low. Settings>Video>Advanced>VFX Quality
  • Turn waves quality off. Settings>Video>Advanced>Waves Quality
Give those a try and see if they make any difference. Good luck on the fight, you’re a professional now with as many times that you’ve done it. :)

Hi there @jeffwf21 welcome to the forums. This is the best spot to post bugs so you’re in the right area. :)

When this happens are you playing docked or undocked? If you’re undocked, try docked. Also, before loading the game, can you try completely shutting down the Switch (press and hold power button, Power Settings>Shut Down).

Other things to try before fighting the Wall of Flesh (for the millionth time) is to change a couple settings…
  • Change lighting to Trippy. Settings>Video>Lighting Mode
  • Turn background off. Settings>Video>Backgrounds
  • Turn screen effects off. Settings>Video>Screen Effects
  • Reduce VFX quality to low. Settings>Video>Advanced>VFX Quality
  • Turn waves quality off. Settings>Video>Advanced>Waves Quality
Give those a try and see if they make any difference. Good luck on the fight, you’re a professional now with as many times that you’ve done it. :)
Unit one, thank you for your reply! I was hoping this would reach you.

I have now replicated the problem twice undocked and once docked. I will implement your recommendations and reply with an update.

P.s. I’ve been a professional WoF fighter for years now. I’ve owned terraria on every gaming platform I’ve had since it came out on PC with the hallowed set of armor as it’s peak. So, I just wanted to say that I love this game, thank you for helping me make it even better.

I have tried the prescribed remedies exactly as you had said. I got the same result. Except it went to 45% instead of 44%

I have tried the prescribed remedies exactly as you had said. I got the same result. Except it went to 45% instead of 44%
Aw man, I'm sorry it didn't work. I'm wondering if there's something particular about your world that's preventing the hard mode conversion from taking place. You haven't mined up the entire world or anything, have you? Are you able to upload a pic of your world map?

Aw man, I'm sorry it didn't work. I'm wondering if there's something particular about your world that's preventing the hard mode conversion from taking place. You haven't mined up the entire world or anything, have you? Are you able to upload a pic of your world map?
I have not done anything too funky! Not even a hellivator. Just settled all my NPC’s in a snow mountain. Here is a picture!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
I have not done anything too funky! Not even a hellivator. Just settled all my NPC’s in a snow mountain. Here is a picture!
Looks quite normal, thanks for taking the time to share the pic. Hopefully the developers can get a bead on what’s happening, but I’m afraid in the meantime I’m out of ideas on any workarounds for that particular world.

No worries. Thank you for taking the time to help. Is there any other process I can do to get the devs attention? Or maybe a planned patch that is coming out? I already submitted a big report with 505 games.

man the same thing is happening to me im tired of fighting wof man for me it freezes at 22 percent on the setting hard mode screen i had no buffs on

Hey I had the same problem and I was trying to fix it and it worked. Here’s what I did and hopefully it will work for you because it sucks. I was playing in journey mode. As soon as you defeat the wall and I mean right as you do it, make sure you’ve actually defeated him then press the plus button and click save and exit once you get to the title screen it should say setting hard mode and then hopefully it should work. Sorry for a late reply but hope that helps anyone facing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom