PC Severe framerate drops when Frame Skip is on.

Have you tried cleaning/defragmenting your hard drive lately? If so I'd advise it as it helps with running games faster and smoother.

If you see this:
Skips frames, DUH
There are certain things in the game that are coded and created for Frame Skip to be on, which pretty much is an FPS cap at 60 FPS. If you turn it off you'll notice things, like for example, the Bubble Machine. The bubbles with spawn and move faster as they look better when Frame Skip is on. Also frame skip helps with YouTubers who like recording Terraria, as when a game is running at a smooth constant FPS it tends to record smoothly with no lag.

What does frameskip do?

I'm not an expert, so someone correct me if I'm talking nonsense here.
When you run a game, you'll get a number of frames per second (fps) based on your computer's ability to handle the game. If you have a slow pc and Terraria runs poorly on it, you can turn frame skip on so the game occasionally skips a few frames in order to maintain a decent game speed. Or that's how it is supposed to work according to my internal (possibly flawed) logic.
For some reason though the contrary is achieved when some people like me turn frameskip on.

Have you tried cleaning/defragmenting your hard drive lately? If so I'd advise it as it helps with running games faster and smoother.
New pc, fresh install on an SSD. Anyway, I am sure Windows 7 defragments drives itself, since I never have any fragmentation on my drives.

There are certain things in the game that are coded and created for Frame Skip to be on, which pretty much is an FPS cap at 60 FPS. If you turn it off you'll notice things, like for example, the Bubble Machine. The bubbles with spawn and move faster as they look better when Frame Skip is on. Also frame skip helps with YouTubers who like recording Terraria, as when a game is running at a smooth constant FPS it tends to record smoothly with no lag.

Well, thankfully the game still limits itself to 60 frames per second when frameskip is off (although this occasionally fails, when Terraria loses focus after alt-tabbing or something similar). If it didn't then I'd be trying to fight The Twins at the speed of light and my reflexes aren't cut out for that.

Last edited:
my computer is really :red:ty and can barely run anything, and i can still run terraria without lag (maybe its because i actually use my screen resolution size)

There are a lot of factors that can screw up terraria, the developers have beta testers all around and I am sure they are all running the game tip-top shape. There are not compatibility issues with Terraria and the system's hardware even if you can run next-gen games. The issues lie deeper, viruses, improper installs of XNA and .NET.

I can go deeper into the details why you are experiencing this, but bottom line if do not use the installation processes correctly and only install one at a time, wait it out, and restart when needed, things like this can happen. Also, updating drivers, and making sure you have the latest for your components is also important. The Devs hardly will put an input into this, because the game runs well on almost any machine as long as you got the power for it. The issue lies with something else, I am not gonna lie, .NET and XNA are PICKY and doing ANYTHING else along side of those two can cause problems with games that use those dependencies.

That's nice and all, and I would have accepted an answer like that for my old machine, but my current pc is freshly installed, so I highly doubt some program has messed up XNA and .NET. And if it did, I would expect Terraria to either provide an error message or be more robust about it.
I'm also not running a dozen other programs while playing a game. When I play Terraria, I'm playing Terraria, not typing letters or editing sounds or photoshopping pictures and whatnot.
Drivers, like I said, new pc, so new drivers.

Anyway, I guess I'm not going to see a solution for this problem then. It's not that a big deal thankfully, since disabling frame skipping solves it for 99%. But I admit I am a bit disappointed. I know I am not the only one with this problem, there were others on the old forums. I just wish we would at least have gotten an acknowledgement that the problem exists.

I dont even know what XNA and .NET is, i just installed terraria after a fresh notebook reboot, the only game i ahve is dota 2 and Terraria, all the drivers are updated, anyways it doesnt happen all the time, hopefully they will fix

That's nice and all, and I would have accepted an answer like that for my old machine, but my current pc is freshly installed, so I highly doubt some program has messed up XNA and .NET. And if it did, I would expect Terraria to either provide an error message or be more robust about it.
I'm also not running a dozen other programs while playing a game. When I play Terraria, I'm playing Terraria, not typing letters or editing sounds or photoshopping pictures and whatnot.
Drivers, like I said, new pc, so new drivers.

Anyway, I guess I'm not going to see a solution for this problem then. It's not that a big deal thankfully, since disabling frame skipping solves it for 99%. But I admit I am a bit disappointed. I know I am not the only one with this problem, there were others on the old forums. I just wish we would at least have gotten an acknowledgement that the problem exists.

I have had no problems with terraria, those machines that had this problem was fixed when I told them the steps they need to take to avoid it. Lets put it this way, if you were doing things while .NET and XNA were installing. That resulted in problems. Normally, when you install ANY application on your system you need to be idle on it, do not play games, or do anything until its done. I know Multitasking is possible with pcs, but XNA, .NET, and Terraria is an exception to that rule. If you did something while Any of the clean installation process was done that you were not suppose to, you can certainly blame it on your part for not "Maintaining" a proper installation.

I have proven this countless times and in the old forums I even demonstrated various systems and components that terraria runs fine. You should consider checking everything. Terraria has no flaws as far as functioning on a properly installed machine.

So i need to re install terraria?
This is not even your thread is it? In this case, I doubt I even posted the typical help post I have. I will post this for both of you as a checklist to make sure you all have what you need!

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

In order to further assist you, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications.

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 2.4 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies (MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

I don't play games while I'm installing things. Whenever I install something I get a drink or watch tv or something. I don't take the chance of files being in use or whatever. Reading your post I get the feeling you're trying to brush me off as an incompetent neanderthal keyboard smasher who happened to find the power on button of his pc by accident. :indifferent: Sure, it's been a while since I worked in ICT, but I haven't gone senile yet. (Or have I? :confused:)
Anyway, to humour you I've just reinstalled .net, XNA and Visual C++ from the links you provided, one at a time, without playing games or doing anything else during installation and I restarted the system. Problem persists.

My apologies for my tone, but I can't help but feel annoyed.

I don't play games while I'm installing things. Whenever I install something I get a drink or watch tv or something. I don't take the chance of files being in use or whatever. Reading your post I get the feeling you're trying to brush me off as an incompetent neanderthal keyboard smasher who happened to find the power on button of his pc by accident. :indifferent: Sure, it's been a while since I worked in ICT, but I haven't gone senile yet. (Or have I? :confused:)
Anyway, to humour you I've just reinstalled .net, XNA and Visual C++ from the links you provided, one at a time, without playing games or doing anything else during installation and I restarted the system. Problem persists.

My apologies for my tone, but I can't help but feel annoyed.

Have you used these settings at all? Stupid questions:
- Are you using a clean client? (No modded, hacked, pirated clients)

- Frame Skip On
- Lighting: Color
- Multicore Lighting: 4
- Quality: High
- Background: On

Have you used these settings at all? Stupid questions:
- Are you using a clean client? (No modded, hacked, pirated clients)

- Frame Skip On
- Lighting: Color
- Multicore Lighting: 4
- Quality: High
- Background: On

- Yes, I did. I mentioned this in a previous post. I also tried multicore lighting 2 and off, together with those setings you mention here.
- Yarrrr! ... Err, no, I'm not a pirate. In case you need proof: Click!

proof: Click!
Private profile.

Memory doesn't really matter in this case since it's going to be limited to roughly 2 gigs before .NET says nope and throws an exception (that is, if you don't have 4.5 but I believe terraria uses 4.0 and I'm certain that 4.0 has the 2 gig limit, 4.5 allowed that to be changed on 64 bit machines iirc).

If you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason you'd like frame skip on?

Private profile.
Ah, yes, figures. Me being paranoid and all. Here's a picture. :)

If you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason you'd like frame skip on?
I don't mind at all and there's none, I can play the game fine without it due to the game limiting frames to 60 most of the time. And if it goes into light speed, then alt-tabbing will reset it back to 60 again.
Even so, I find it odd that a game mechanic that's supposed to keep your game speed up does exactly the opposite and I was hoping to find an answer or a confirmation at least. Yeah, I admit, it bugs me. If almost no one has this particular problem, then why do I have it, on two different pc's? My current pc I installed last week, so it's basically as clean as an elven arse.

There's just this itch I have that wants me to know the cause. If something's intervening with Terraria's required 3rd party programs on my pc, then I want to strangle it with my bare hands. (Hey, I never said I was perfect! :confused:)

Third party hooks can usually be problematic (such as fraps, bandicam, even Steam itself). I'd suggest to turn off any program that can possibly hook into the game and try it out this way (in steam's case, turning off the in-game overlay is known to potentially improve performances). Also the backgrounds are poorly optimized and will make the game lag next to always. Even then it is indeed weird for frame skip to cause such issues it is currently meant to fix instead. As far as I can say Frame Skip only works as a frames limiter and poorly does its job.

Third party hooks can usually be problematic (such as fraps, bandicam, even Steam itself). I'd suggest to turn off any program that can possibly hook into the game and try it out this way (in steam's case, turning off the in-game overlay is known to potentially improve performances). Also the backgrounds are poorly optimized and will make the game lag next to always. Even then it is indeed weird for frame skip to cause such issues it is currently meant to fix instead. As far as I can say Frame Skip only works as a frames limiter and poorly does its job.

To expand, check any and all applications running the background of your system and turn off any...unnecessary applications.

Hello, I have been suffering with this problem for awhile now, BUT I seemed to have fixed it for me.

Now I own a AMD/ATI video card so this may be a little different for Nvidia users, However I don't suspect it will be to different.
Firstly I am not familiar with Nvidia drivers and what they contain, but I DO know that AMD drivers are awful, so if you do have an AMD card I suggest to use this program instead of the actual AMD drivers, and no, you do not replace the default drivers with them, it's just a program that uses DirectX 9/11 and I believe OpenGL to alter some files, much like an ENB for games like Skyrim.

RadeonPro: http://www.radeonpro.info/

Anyways, enough rambling.

The solution is to simply cap your framerate to 59 or 59.9. Now to do this on a Radeon GPU simply download the program stated above, disable Vsync through drivers and RadeonPro, then in RadeonPro, Under the option for Vsync there will be a check box for "Dynamic framerate control", Check the box and you will be able to modify the games framerate, Type in 59.

Another option is also done through RadeonPro or Drivers, Simply make the Vysnc option "Dynamic" !!!

=/ i can play just cause 3 on ultra at 150 fps and terraria still gives me massive fps drops with frame skip on

Back
Top Bottom