PC Severe framerate drops when Frame Skip is on.

Gotcha!

Pumpking
I am confused.

I've had a problem with Terraria's framerate since update 1.2.2 or 1.2.3 or something. I forgot.
Anyway, basically the game's framerate drops when Frame Skip is on, even though I had a very decent pc to run it. A dualcore proc @ 3ghz, an nVidia 560GTX (1gb mem) and 4gb of RAM.

Now the funny part starts here:
I bought a new pc, now have a quadcore @3.7ghz (although Windows 7 and Terraria see 8, hyperthreading or something, don't ask me, I'm a dumbass), an AMD Radeon R9 290X (4gb mem) and 16gb of RAM.
And Terraria's framerate feels worse than before when Frame Skip is on. In-game framerate hovers around 45 and it feels very 'chunky'. When flying into a piece of unexplored map, it doesn't smoothly remove the fog, it just takes big bites out of it at a sluggish rate.

Something's wrong there, guys, and it needs to be sorted out. I'll keep on playing with Frame Skip off, just as I used to, but I feel there's a severe issue somewhere deep within Terraria's coding.
I've added my directx diagnostics report, just in case.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31.8 KB · Views: 636
I reduced the quality but it didnt really changed anything
2014-10-13_00006.jpg

You are running the game by 1920x1080, which is a very high resolution for a lot of games. You did not post any of your specifications of the system you are using, however, neither did I ask for them or post the default template. If you do not mind, post your current specifications and settings?

Mine is an MSI GE60 with i7 3630 2.4ghz and 8gb of ram, video card Gforce GT650M Gddr5, and 750gb o HD. Normally the lag comes when i go into the jungle or places with many things to load, after that it goes normal on 60. I am saying this because before it normally didnt happen.

You are running the game by 1920x1080, which is a very high resolution for a lot of games.

Perhaps, but if I can run games like Saints Row IV and Sleeping Dogs on full details without any problems, well, I do expect a game like Terraria to run without problems as well.

Here are my settings:
- Windowed, resolution: 1920x1018
- Frame Skip OFF
- Lighting: Colour
- Multicore Lighting: 8
- Quality: Auto

Note: It absolutely makes no difference if I run the game fullscreen. It still goes crazy when Frame Skip is ON.
I choose to play in a window though, since the framerate will sometimes shoot through the roof (usually when Terraria's window loses focus), and minimizing/maximizing Terraria's window resets its framerate back to 60.

Edit: I'd just want to add that when Terraria goes into framerate overdrive (which ONLY happens when Frame Skip is OFF), the main menu shows a framerate of 1500-2500 frames per second. I am not trying to be funny here, these are the numbers I'm seeing. And I feel it shows perfectly that having a framerate of 40 when Frame Skip is ON is just plain weird.

Last edited:
Try disabling the background, it eats quit a lot of memory sometimes.
Err, dude. No offense, but both Sdds Vitorias and myself have enough RAM to... well, to do lots of crazy RAMmy things! :confused:
Disabling a low graphics background isn't going to change anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Terraria's backgrounds, they really fit in the game, but they're not exactly brimming with detail, so to speak.

Err, dude. No offense, but both Sdds Vitorias and myself have enough RAM to... well, to do lots of crazy RAMmy things! :confused:
Disabling a low graphics background isn't going to change anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Terraria's backgrounds, they really fit in the game, but they're not exactly brimming with detail, so to speak.
Offence? wat where?
Also, as someone with a nice amount of RAM I can say the game randomly decided to lag every time I entered the underground mushrooms with the option enabled, so I'm speaking from experience.

Offence? wat where?
Yeah, sorry, I often say that because I sometimes seem to offend people for no apparent reason. I guess it turned into a pointless habit. ;)

Also, as someone with a nice amount of RAM I can say the game randomly decided to lag every time I entered the underground mushrooms with the option enabled, so I'm speaking from experience.
Have Frame Skip ON or OFF? I do wonder how many people are playing with Frame Skip ON without problems and what kind of pc they have. And if they have a multicore cpu.

Yeah, sorry, I often say that because I sometimes seem to offend people for no apparent reason. I guess it turned into a pointless habit. ;)

Have Frame Skip ON or OFF? I do wonder how many people are playing with Frame Skip ON without problems and what kind of pc they have. And if they have a multicore cpu.
Default Frameskip, I din't touch it cuz I didn't know what it does, and the game seems to run fine right now.

These settings are too high, and you do not need 8 cores to handle lighting. change it to 3-4.

- Windowed, resolution: 1920x1018
- Frame Skip On
- Lighting: Colour
- Multicore Lighting: 4
- Quality: High

These settings are too high, and you do not need 8 cores to handle lighting. change it to 3-4.
These settings are too high? I appreciate you trying to help, but that doesn't make sense. Sure, The game does not need 8 cores to handle lighting, but I take it this option is supposed to level out the workload among all available cores. So in theory, the more the merrier.

Anyway, I did some checking and the problem persists when I'm using 4, 2 or even disable Multicore Lighting. Once Frame Skip is ON, the game freaks out, no matter what.

No offense to you, I know you're trying to help, but I really wish Red would provide some feedback about this, or at least acknowledge this problem. :(

I dont like playing windowed, so i put the resolution on 1680 x 1050, it got better but i cant understand why before there was no lag and now there is -_- during the pumpkim moon the frame rates got down to 30, and before it wouldnt change a bit.....

Anyways thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom