Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hello, my SO and I have been having issues with "lag" (rubberbanding/teleporting mobs and player characters) while playing MP with 1.4. Never had this issue previously. We are both playing on PC's with Windows 10 and good specs - the only thing that's different from normal is that her desktop has been out of commission recently so she's been playing on her old laptop (which still has decent specs, no idea if something about it being a laptop is contributing to the issue because we played old versions without issues on her desktop).

My desktop:
2070 Super
i7 @ 4.2 Ghz
16GB RAM

Her laptop:
GTX 970M
i7 (don't have clock speed on hand this second, but shouldn't be a bottleneck)
16GB RAM

We originally tried stock-standard host and play/join via Steam with both computers on Wifi, hosting on my desktop. On my (host) end, the game was running fine and mobs were as they should be. On her (client) end, mobs would teleport through the air or backwards in time, similar to how playing with someone with super high ping online is. My character model would also do this on her screen. Interestingly, her character model would do this teleporting on my screen. Looking at her screen, it looked as though her character's movements were about a solid second ahead of what was actually being shown on my screen. This made the game completely unplayable for her.

Ok, well, sometimes when I play with a friend online I'll have some minor lag if I don't plug in an ethernet cable. So I figure maybe that's the issue. So we both plug in ethernet cables, disconnect from Wifi, and use the wired connection. We both speedtest at ~300Mb down, 15Mb up; shouldn't be an issue. Try host and play again via Steam with the same extreme teleporting/rubber banding result on her screen and her still teleporting on mine.

At this point go on a googling frenzy, and try to connect via IP. So I host the server from the exe, we launch, and we both join via IP. Same result.

So since our computers are three feet apart, I decide to cut out the Internet portion of the issue and just connect our ethernet ports together LAN party style. Launch the server from the exe, and we both join...to the same result. With no internet connection, just a local network. Same thing, where the mobs are darting forward and back through time on her screen and she's lagging/teleporting on mine. Seems like when you're playing with someone with 500 ping, but it's literally just our computers connected with a cable and no internet.

Bizarre. So again I google, find a bunch of people complaining of similar issues and others conflating this with performance issues and saying the hardware must not be good enough. Well, it should be, but okay, I'm game - so we both turn off frame skip, turn it on, go windowed, go fullscreen, go retro lighting, turn everything down to low. No difference. I mean, the game is running at a great framerate on both computers, which makes sense given our specs.

I even found a result from 2011 of people saying it had to do with the host or client having an irregular refresh rate of their monitor. I am running a 144hz monitor, and her a 60hz. So I locked mine to 60, tried it that way, and still no dice.

Pretty much the only thing I didn't try doing was messing around with CPU affinity because the CPU wasn't being taxed heavily in task mgr, and I had kind of seen ppl saying that if you change the priority it can mess up some stuff in game.

We tried her launching in SP and it runs totally fine for her there with none of the same issues. We tried her hosting, as well, via both Steam and IP, and she's still having the teleporting when she's hosting.

TLDR, we're still experiencing severe lag/rubberbanding/teleporting of mobs and player characters in multiplayer and can't figure out how to fix it.

Since there are a bunch of ppl complaining about this on Reddit, hope it gets looked into and flagged as a known issue, because we're both super looking forward to playing what seems like a great update. Appreciate the dev's hard work bringing this update to us and hope we can play it soon.

Thanks in advance.

Same problems here. I was playing 1.3 with 5 friends prior to the 1.4 update (obviously) ZERO problems whatsoever.
Now with 1.4 we have (and even I as the host) severe rubberbanding and lag issues. Game fluids not working, Enemies rubberbanding like CRAZY and the map not loading fast enough which got me stuck in a chunk of wall because the minecart track didn't load fast enough.

My group of friends is having similar issues. Almost making 1.4 unplayable. Blocks, items, and even NPC's seem fine with no lag. Enemies though just teleport all over the screen. Especially noticeable the faster they move. So flying enemies and angry bones in the dungeon are just popping up and reappearing all over the place. We have tried Steam host & play, dedicated server on one of our pc's, and even just renting a dedicated server from a host. Nothing has improved it.

Hello. We have exactly the same problem. I can play with some of my friends without problem - hosting or joining. With others the game rubberbands and lags. With my wife it's unplayable - through steam, hamachi, even local lan when we connect through cable.... It's quite a problem.

Edit: Never had that problem before 1.4

I think we have the same problems since 1.4 update, hopefully, they fix our problems and make it playable as soon as they can

We are looking into some multiplayer performance improvements, and will hopefully be improving things like this in the coming hotfixes! Thanks for the reports guys :)

Been looking for the best place to contribute. My kids are very frustrated with this issue on our locally hosted server. I haven't forumed in over a decade; don't create accounts anywhere, etc. Usually someone has already ran into my problem as I come into the game/update a lot later, and there is a stackoverflow or steam forum with an answer. So I did my best to try to not post yet another new topic, and instead used the forum search feature (that was all the rage back then) and found here, so I wanted to attempt to contribute.

Anyway, the kids and I have been eager for an update with this. When it wasn't resolved with 1402 I tried changing npcstream in the server config from commented out (default) to 30. I did this because I read some random person on some mega-bug reddit thread said it brought him success. However not in our case; and I could not relocate his post (I'm bad at redditing too)

So trying to play with the fam yesterday I came across what might be a coincidence, or not; so I thought I'd share:
Is there possibly a correlation with liquids settling? We never seem to have any issues during boss fights, where all of us are in some area that they built expecting me to do my ninja-maneuvers and stay alive while they spam-respawn. However; when I went spelunking when it was just 2 of us, it seemed like every time I was digging down through water spots is when mobs started rubber banding, or never losing health, or going back to full, or dying and then reappearing at half health... etc, etc. Totally weird stuff.

I am one of those people that will find a spot and dig straight down until I hit a cavern system, then somewhere in there doing it again. I will drown or poke out the bottom into the next cavern system, whichever wins. However I started to notice that I was not coming close to drowning. In fact many times (with a silver pickaxe; I was in snow biome) I was digging and going down faster than the water. In real quick succession, I would hear a complaint on teamspeak (yes, we use teamspeak all in the same house... judge me) about lag.

So today while I was working I ask them to keep an eye on server lag while they were playing and talk to each other when it occurs, see if anyone is messing around in liquid with mining/bombs, etc and liquid was trying to settle. After done working I touched base with them and they agreed that when there was server problems someone was doing something with liquids settling. Now, out of all kids, I don't have a teenager yet... so full disclosure there; but they are pretty snappy.

So, that's my experience to contribute. I keep ssh to the server (ubuntu 18.04 VM, dell poweredge 710, 4vcpus, 8gig ram) and was going to try to use the 'settle' command more often when there were issues to try and force-settle the liquids; perhaps confirm it. However I only got opportunity to do it twice (which seemed to work.... question-mark) but not enough sample size to say for sure.

Other than that we are enjoying the update; thanks for your efforts.

-Red

Liquids have been, and continue to be, one of the most performance impacting parts of Terraria, both in terms of general client-side performance and multiplayer syncing. There is certainly something that can probably be improved there.

1.4.0.2 was primarily a few quick fix attempts for some major crash issues, and didn't really include much in the way of optimization fixes. 1.4.0.3 may have a few, but its going to be a process, with each new hotfix containing a few more changes and improvements. We have some already identified and improved, and we are going to continue to iterate until we hopefully get everything to a good place. :)

Back
Top Bottom