**REPORTED** Sharpening Station applies to minions, ranged projectiles, magic projectiles.

Mail

Official Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
The sharpening station applies piercing to all damage dealt by the player including minions, magic, and ranged if you are holding a melee weapon while damage is being dealt.

The description implies the piercing bonus should only apply to damage from the equipped melee weapon.

The one easy way to test this is to spawn skeletons using a statue and attack them with a low damage minion such as a Finch while holding a melee weapon while having the Sharpened buff.

Similar bug: Critical hit chance of projectiles uses currently held weapon to determine critical hit chance.

it's just a mechanic. when you place a nimbus rod's cloud (having 4% crit at base) and switch weapon to sky fracture (24% crit at base), your nimbus clouds get 20% crit boost.

it's just a mechanic. when you place a nimbus rod's cloud (having 4% crit at base) and switch weapon to sky fracture (24% crit at base), your nimbus clouds get 20% crit boost.
Wow, does this also happen in this game?
Cases like this seems to me a bit complex to solve depending on the engine that makes the game, I was faced with this problem when I built games for fun a long time ago in "001 game creator".

Cases like this seems to me a bit complex to solve depending on the engine that makes the game, I was faced with this problem when I built games for fun a long time ago in "001 game creator".
It should not be hard to fix if we determine the correct behavior.

Sharpening station could:
  • Only apply to touch damage from melee weapons. (but not projectiles)
  • Apply piercing to melee weapons and melee projectiles only.
  • Change the description and give piercing for all damage.

It should not be hard to fix if we determine the correct behavior.

Sharpening station could:
  • Only apply to touch damage from melee weapons. (but not projectiles)
  • Apply piercing to melee weapons and melee projectiles only.
  • Change the description and give piercing for all damage.
The case of the Sharpening station, yes, this seems to be easier to solve.

Last edited:
I tested this but I was not able to reproduce it. There is a definite increase in damage with a melee weapon and the Sharpening Station, but no increase in damage to a ranged or magic weapon. What might be happening here is certain weapons being considered as projectiles and their defence piercing being calculated on the fly. This would be similar to the critical hit chance you reported in your other thread.

I tested this but I was not able to reproduce it. There is a definite increase in damage with a melee weapon and the Sharpening Station, but no increase in damage to a ranged or magic weapon. What might be happening here is certain weapons being considered as projectiles and their defence piercing being calculated on the fly. This would be similar to the critical hit chance you reported in your other thread.
Read the description more carefully. Piercing applies to all damage dealt while you are holding a melee weapon. You are not testing this bug if you are not be holding a melee weapon while damage is dealt. You also need to test this on enemies with at least 12 defense for the full effect. Damage is increased by 6 on enemies with 12 defense, so it will be harder to notice with high damage weapons.

Read the description more carefully. Piercing applies to all damage dealt while you are holding a melee weapon. You are not testing this bug if you are not be holding a melee weapon while damage is dealt. You also need to test this on enemies with at least 12 defense for the full effect. Damage is increased by 6 on enemies with 12 defense, so it will be harder to notice with high damage weapons.
Apologies, I misread it.
I've been advised that projectiles can also pick up Sharpening Station buffs this way. This is similar to what you reported on the critical hit chance, in that the projectile damage is calculated on the fly. This particular behaviour might change as it can also apply to summons, which are far longer-lived than projectiles.

I did not see a mention of this issue in the 1.4.1 changelog. I have verified that this bug is still active.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom