NPCs & Enemies Shellshock

How's my suggestion?

• Total voters

Darthkitten

Paladin
Hello! And welcome to my second Terraria boss suggestion! I'm aware that the chance of a large suggestion like this being implemented into Terraria is slim, but this is more for fun than anything else. If you enjoy this boss, check out my previous suggestion if you haven't already! Otherwise, without further ado, I present to you...

THE S.S. SHELLSHOCK!

gdrVKtj.png

S.S. Shellshock: Seabed Scavenger Supreme

(Difficulty: All Mechs defeated)

Life: 40,000
Damage: 20
Defense(Crab): 10
Defense(Ship): 20

Shellshock is a boss meant to be fought in the water. It will float on the surface of the ocean, similar to an actual boat. Items designed to help the player navigate water are STRONGLY recommended. While it is certainly possible to fight Shellshock on land, to do so may result in a myriad of nasty surprises...

Special Attacks:

Jump

Shellshock will occasionally jump into the air, and come crashing back down onto the player. He will perform this move when the player moves too far away, or when the player transfers from the land to the sea, or vice versa.

When Shellshock lands in the water after performing this move, the resulting splash will create waves (by moving water) on both sides of it. Shellshock will also deal 50 damage to anyone underneath it.

When Shellshock lands on the land after performing this move, the resulting quake will cause several blocks to fly into the air, similar to an antlion projectile (dirt and sand only). These projectiles will deal 10 damage each, and in addition, anyone unfortunate to be hit by the monster on the way down will suffer 150 damage.

Mines
Shellshock will drop about 5-8 underwater mines that will slowly drift down toward the seabed. Each mine will explode when touched, and will deal 40 damage. This move cannot be performed on land.

Claw
Shellshock will open it's large claw and will swim around in an attempt to grab an opponent. Getting hit by the claw will deal 70 damage.

Guns:
Shellshock's guns are capable of acting completely independent from both Shellshock and each other. That means that while Shellshock is performing one attack, any number of guns may be performing another.

Front Cannons
When activated, these cannons will cause two targeting reticles to appear on the screen, actively trying to home in on opponents. After 5 seconds, the reticles will lock on, flash, and the cannons will fire. Anything standing behind the reticle will suffer 75 damage.

Side Cannons
These cannons will fire a volley of shots into the air, that will come straight back down. The shots will each do 20 damage.

Missile Launcher
This missile launcher will fire 8 small missiles that home in on opponents. The missiles do 30 damage each.

How to summon:

Once any of the mechanical bosses have been defeated, you may be able to find a strange chain buried in the seabed. Disturbing this chain (either by clicking or breaking blocks beneath it) will cause Shellshock to emerge.

Drops:

Gold_Coin.png

Coins

Shellshock will drop about 15 coins on death.

3akGpIC.png

Nauticite Chunks
100% drop rate (6-9)
An eerie green metal dragged back from the deepest part of the ocean.

vsaAwBd.png
RqADhtb.png

S.S. Shellshock Trophy
10% drop rate
For hanging on your wall.

lwBxSlN.png

S.S. Shellshock Mask
14.29% drop rate
"Are you feeling it now, Mr. Krabs?"

XkM4NGA.png
H3mudYS.png
nlbEqx7.png
JUDfMS6.png
ZHZMpmz.png

Ocean Enthusiast's Clothing
12% drop rate
A vanity set based around a certain criminal environmental organization.

Crafting:

Qpal8fp.png

Heavy Chain
3 Nauticite Chunks, 5 Chains, Hook.
A slow-moving chain that can drag smaller foes to the player.
Reach: 35 tiles
Velocity: 8
Hooks: 2
Latching type: Simultaneous

6d0u1RT.png

Crabmallet
4 Nauticite Chunks, 5 Gold Bars.
90% Hammer power
Damage: 85
Speed: 36 (Very Slow)

mNWHoLK.png

Vortex Sabre
4 Nauticite Chunks, 5 Gold Bars.
Damage: 40 (sword)
Damage: 30 (projectiles)
Speed: 13 (Very Fast)
Fires thin, cutting gusts of wind when swung. These move very fast and have a long range. These also have no knockback, and will pierce up to 2 enemies, but will not pass through walls.

xalGhK4.png

Speargun
3 Nauticite Chunks, Harpoon.
Damage: 38
Essentially a stronger version of the Harpoon.

9Sd223t.png

Drillex
3 Nauticite Chunks, 10 Iron Bars, 20 cogs, 20 wire.
Damage: 40

Speed: 34 (Slow)
Fires drill rockets that can pass through walls and home in on foes.

Drill Rockets I-IV
Can be bought from the Arms Dealer once you own a Drillex.

Drill Rocket I - 30 Damage
Drill Rocket II - 30 Damage, explodes on impact
Drill Rocket III - 50 Damage. (Only once Plantera is defeated)
Drill Rocket IV - 50 Damage, explodes on impact. (Only once Plantera is defeated)

22Ojq3W.png

Lightning Bolt
3 Nauticite Chunks, Spell Tome.
Damage: 37
Speed: 18 (Very Fast)
Mana Cost: 17
Fires a quick-moving ball of lightning that ricochets off walls and gives off an electric pulse* every second.

* Radius of about 3 blocks.

AKR4H66.png
9SPMSVT.png

20,000mm Cannon
4 Nauticite Chunks, 10 Iron or Lead bars, 10 Copper or Tin bars, Illegal Gun Parts.
Damage: 185
Knockback: Insane
Range: 80 tiles
Mana Cost: 15
Summons a powerful cannon that cannot aim at an angle.

RuvdMOw.png
NKahxVK.png
pJwwFJA.png

Fx6prDY.png
5lPzJCM.png
f3q9e69.png
w2d4M4O.png
CxIidkc.png

Nauticite Armor
Set Bonus:
Water Breathing.
Moderate Illumination.
Liquids do not slow you down.

Nauticite Leggings
3 Nauticite Chunks, 5 Copper or Tin Bars, 5 Coral.
5% critical strike chance
15 defense

Nauticite Chestpiece
5 Nauticite Chunks, 15 Copper or Tin Bars.
10% critical strike chance
23 defense

Nauticite Visor
4 Nauticite Chunks, 10 Copper or Tin Bars, 4 lens.
17 defense

Set Bonus:
Creates an electric field around the player, which damages enemies.

Nauticite Helmet
17 defense

Set Bonus:
+43 armor (total of 60)
Gives the "Heavy" debuff, which decreases run speed by 20%, and reduces flight and swim speed by 50%.

Nauticite Cap
15 defense

Set Bonus:
Stealth effect when submerged in water.
Enemies are less likely to attack you when in stealth.
+20% attack damage when in stealth.

--------------------------------------------------------------
More to come!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions and critique is welcome, especially for the armor sets!

Bonus stuff!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Oh my god, just like pyrantula this is awesome. The sprites, drops, and stats are once again phenomenal and something I can only dream of accomplishing. Oh, and GO TEAM AQUA!
Edit: In my opinion, you should put the summon method before the boss AI. Also, I don't get the second armor bonus and how much damage does the first armor bonus do?

Last edited:
Well, I'd say you did it again. Beautiful visuals accompanying an interesting concept for a ocean boss that everyone says needs to be filled. Your incorporation of the Team Aqua suit is again a great homage and reference to your past successful suggestion. I have zero skill in balancing although I know @crackshotCerberus is experienced with such things, but being a guy who's impressed with some sweet display and art, I approve of this again. I hope the modding community can bring this to life.

Well, I'd say you did it again. Beautiful visuals accompanying an interesting concept for a ocean boss that everyone says needs to be filled. Your incorporation of the Team Aqua suit is again a great homage and reference to your past successful suggestion. I have zero skill in balancing although I know @crackshotCerberus is experienced with such things, but being a guy who's impressed with some sweet display and art, I approve of this again. I hope the modding community can bring this to life.
I appreciate that you find me to be someone experienced but I appreciate more bringing this thread to my attention. I always like your boss suggestions darthkitten.

I like the idea. But the concept being in water is no-no for me.
It's just is a pain to have water accessories.

0,5 Support.

Wow. The boss sprite is excellent.
The only thing I can think of which could be added are nauticite bricks. I don't really know what they could be made with and what they'd look like, perhaps "abandoned underwater ship" blocks, and could be crafted with 1 Nauticite and 1 Sand.

Wow. The boss sprite is excellent.
The only thing I can think of which could be added are nauticite bricks. I don't really know what they could be made with and what they'd look like, perhaps "abandoned underwater ship" blocks, and could be crafted with 1 Nauticite and 1 Sand.
Noted! I'll probably add them later.

Awesome boss idea, and finely crafted sprites to boot. Gives the player another means of progression and other such for sea based afventures. It also gives players another way to help fight Duke Fishron.

For the helmet, could you decrease the heavy debuff from 50% to 33%? I just think going at HALF movement speed will make it too slow.

Awesome boss idea, and finely crafted sprites to boot. Gives the player another means of progression and other such for sea based afventures. It also gives players another way to help fight Duke Fishron.

For the helmet, could you decrease the heavy debuff from 50% to 33%? I just think going at HALF movement speed will make it too slow.
Hmmm... I'll admit, I spent a long time trying to think of the way to best balance the helmet. As you probably noticed, the amount of defense it provides is absurd, so naturally I added the debuff to counter it. While it does make you very slow, the intention was that instead of flying or running everywhere, you would use your grappling hook to move around. In addition, you were never forced to wear it constantly, and could equip it right before a dangerous battle or area, reducing the penalty significantly.
However, no one enjoys constantly changing armor, and it would probably get annoying fast.

If you still think it's too slow, let me know. For now I'll reduce it to 40%.

Hmmm... I'll admit, I spent a long time trying to think of the way to best balance the helmet. As you probably noticed, the amount of defense it provides is absurd, so naturally I added the debuff to counter it. While it does make you very slow, the intention was that instead of flying or running everywhere, you would use your grappling hook to move around. In addition, you were never forced to wear it constantly, and could equip it right before a dangerous battle or area, reducing the penalty significantly.
However, no one enjoys constantly changing armor, and it would probably get annoying fast.

If you still think it's too slow, let me know. For now I'll reduce it to 40%.

That's a lot more fair, mainly because for those of us who prefer to "main" a particular combat style in Terraria 24/7 won't be entirely deterred by the debuff. In fact traditional brass scuba suits were particularly heavy, if anything you don't need to make it a debuff, just decrease movement speed by 20% and you can keep flight and swim speed halved.

That's a lot more fair, mainly because for those of us who prefer to "main" a particular combat style in Terraria 24/7 won't be entirely deterred by the debuff. In fact traditional brass scuba suits were particularly heavy, if anything you don't need to make it a debuff, just decrease movement speed by 20% and you can keep flight and swim speed halved.
Hmm... Not a bad idea. At that point in the game, many people use flight for dodging, while getting around on foot. You would lose combat mobility to counterbalance the defense while not losing too much mobility for convenience's sake.

Changed!

Hmm... Not a bad idea. At that point in the game, many people use flight for dodging, while getting around on foot. You would lose combat mobility to counterbalance the defense while not losing too much mobility for convenience's sake.

Changed!

That's how I hope you would have seen it, because mobility is a huge factor in getting around at all stages in the game. This is where I hop off for a while, I hope this suggestion gets even more support, because you've put in quite a fair share of work into this little thread.

Back
Top Bottom