Weapons & Equip Shields

EparoBro

Terrarian
Why do we need more shields, we have the Ankh Shield, so any more would be USELESS. I think we should have more shields with more effects that are not from the Ankh Shield.

Basic Shields, In pre-hardmode.

Scavenger's Shield
2 Defense
8% Increased Throwing damage
Found in surface wooden chests

Copper Shield
1 Defense
Equipable
16 Copper Bars at an Iron Anvil

Tin Shield
1 Defense
Equipable
16 Tin Bars at an Iron Anvil

Iron Shield
2 Defense
Equipable
16 Iron Bars at an Anvil

Lead Shield
2 Defense
Equipable
16 Iron Bars at an Anvil

Slimy Shield
3 Defense
70% reduced damage from slime-related enemies.
Drops from King Slime.
Use: Would be good against crimson herplings.

Mushroom Shield
3 Defense
HP restoration from any mushroom +75%
30 Glowing Mushrooms + 10 Mushrooms at work bench.

Ice Breaker
3 Defense
Damage against fire attacks -20%
Found in frost chests
Early shield for underworld exploration

Blazing Blocker
5 Defense
Damage against cold attacks -30%, Chilly debuff duration -50%
21 Hellstone Bars at Anvil
Great for the frost moom

Jungle Shield
4 Defense
Your poison and venom attacks have increased duration by 1 second.
12 Stingers, 8 Spores, and 2 vines
Good with Blowgun, and any rapid-fire gun with Venom Bullets.

Bone Shield
4 Defense
Damage from arrows: -30%
Makes a bone crunch sound when hit
80 Cobwebs, 60 Bones at Bone Welder
Great against Skeleton Archers, who can be a pain early hardmode.

Demon Protector
4 Defense
6% increased melee damage
12 Demonite Bars, 18 Shadow Scales
Would go great with Shadow or molten armor

Blood Blocker
4 Defense
Health Regen increased by 5%. Crimson armor and palladium armor receive 2% instead.
12 Crimitane Bars, 18 Tissue Samples

Shell Shield
2 Defense
Extra breathing bubbles in water
Found in Water Chests

Exotic Gold Shield
4 Defense
10% reduced shop prices
Bought from Travelling Merchant for 15 Gold.

Now for hardmode shields

Devil's Defender
7 Defense
+2 Defense in the Underworld
20% drop from Wall of Flesh
Great for fire feather hunting, because red devils can place a huge dent in your character

Arcane Shield
5 Defense
+40 Mana
One of the drops of mimics
Mage characters may want to pick it up

Mirror Shield
5 Defense
Immune to Medusa's Stoned debuff.
4% Drop from Medusa
Ever tried to get marble from a marble biome?

Holy Shield
7 Defense
Emits light
14 Hallowed Bars at Mythril Anvil.

Beetle Blocker
8 Defense
+1 Defense when Defensive Beetle Armor is equipped.
11 Beetle Husks

Goblintech Shield
6 Defense
Blocks Shadowflame

Riot Shield
5 Defense
Ranged damage +9%
Sold by Arms Dealer in hardmode Blood moon for 10 Gold.

Shield Racks can be crafted with 20 wood at a sawmill.

Hmmm... There definitely could be more shields to prevent annoying debuffs from happening. What would you suggest? Sorry if it is spriteless, this is my first thread, and I haven't gotten into spriting yet.

CHANGE LOG

NOV. 9, 2017:
Added Scavenger, Exotic Gold, Riot and Goblintech Shields.
Various shields got a defense buff.
Arcane Shield now gives 40 Mana instead of 20

Last edited:
Copper Shield
1 Defense
Equipable
16 Copper Bars at an Iron Anvil

Tin Shield
1 Defense
Equipable
16 Tin Bars at an Iron Anvil
Why would I make either of these? The wood one is practically free and has the same effect.

Can't say I would bother making the iron/lead ones either considering that the mushroom one is probably easier to get. As for the others, they don't scale very well, especially in hardmode. The best ones in the game have only 6 defense, and besides that, they're many tiers apart. (the holy and beetle shields)

Anyhow, none of these are too interesting. They'd be cooler if they had some more unique/useful effects rather than just a few extra points of defense.

Why do we need more shields, we have the Ankh Shield, so any more would be USELESS. I think we should have more shields with more effects that are not from the Ankh Shield.
Why did you make a post if you think your idea is pointless?

Why did you make a post if you think your idea is pointless?
He was posing and responding to a rhetorical question - that new shields would be useless, he counters by saying we should have shields with effects not from the ankh shield.

I'm fairly interested in the suggestion. There's some neat effects here. Seconding that the wood shield renders the copper and tin shields obsolete and that I don't think the wooden shield should exist; too easy to obtain and moves the defense curve upward on all following shields. It occurs to me that you could try to build a tank character with some of these, which could be cool (also worm scarf, ankh shield, paladin's shield, and flesh knuckles.) However... while a few of these are very good for the point in the game which they're available (like the Blazing Blocker, the Mushroom Shield, the Demon Protector/Blood Blocker, and the Ice Breaker), that's all pre-hardmode. None of these are particularly worthwhile in hardmode, unfortunately; they're all outclassed by existing defensive accessories (ankh shield still reigns supreme, and flesh knuckles offers more defense than the best of these, which tie with the paladin's shield), and the rising need for offensive accessories almost guarantees none of these will be used for very long. The Beetle Blocker, by the time it's obtained, is obsolete already, and gets even worse once the player moves onto Solar Flare armor.

In pre-hardmode, on the other hand - up until the middle-end (or when the player reaches a sky island or three), the player is mostly wearing accessories for the modifiers they provide, and less their actual effects. Which make flat defense boosts crazy strong. The Mushroom Shield is still insanely good with just +3 defense, but (un?)fortunately that's just what it is, because +75% healing on mushrooms... is 26 hp. Still only half as good as the worst healing potion. Nobody heals with mushrooms. Cool concept, but not that useful in practice.

So, in short, the balance for these seems off. In pre-hardmode, a character is going to end up wearing five shields at once. In hardmode, it's just going to be the ankh shield, as usual. A potential 9 defense from an accessory plus some elemental negation on the side is ridiculously good for pre-hardmode, whereas the highest tier of these offering a situational 11 defense and no other bonus in hardmode isn't that impressive. A few other Hardmode ones are practically unusable - the Arcane Shield, +20 mana and 3 defense? Mages need defense, true, but 3 doesn't make up for their crippling squishiness and they rely on maximum dps to counter that, which means all their accessories are going to be geared to increase damage, critical chance, and minus mana reduction. +20 mana just isn't worth the accessory slot. The Devil's Defender? Interesting concept, but the Underworld no longer contains anything of interest by the time the player can obtain it, doubly so that it's a rare drop from a rare enemy.

I'd remove most of the pre-hardmode shields or make them hardmode (mythril/orichalcum anvil?) so that the player can't cover themselves in shields in the early game and cheese every boss up to the wall of flesh. In addition, the ones that remain need to be nerfed. (4 def is far too strong for post-EoW. 2 is closer to the mark. 3 for the Underworld, maybe.) The hardmode ones, on the other hand... I think their defensive abilities are all right, but they need better effects to be viable.

I actually -really like- the Holy Shield, though. The Mining Helmet is one of my favorite items in game, but it becomes a hindrance in late pre-hardmode and utterly suicidal in hardmode. This is essentially a hardmode version that takes an accessory instead of a main armor slot, and provides a nice defense bonus besides. I would carry this with me all the way to the endgame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom