Shimmered NPCs - I don't get all references

dogebrnnrbegod

Terrarian
I've heard of and seen a few comments about them on the wiki and reddit and ofc some easy to get. But I don't seem to get all of them.
1666839646779.png

Who are they all?

Not all of them are intentionally meant to reference anything/inspired by anything. Some are just fun. :)

One fun one that very few people know is that the Zoologist's alt outfit is a revamped version of a very old prototype for her that we didn't end up using; she went through many revisions (with some of the oldest prototype versions for her going back to 2016 or so!)

This was one of Crowno's idea versions for her that we did not end up using, and Crowno revised it for the purpose of the Shimmer system. Its exciting to see it in play again!

Not all of them are intentionally meant to reference anything/inspired by anything. Some are just fun. :)

One fun one that very few people know is that the Zoologist's alt outfit is a revamped version of a very old prototype for her that we didn't end up using; she went through many revisions (with some of the oldest prototype versions for her going back to 2016 or so!)

This was one of Crowno's idea versions for her that we did not end up using, and Crowno revised it for the purpose of the Shimmer system. Its exciting to see it in play again!
The Zoologist was made 4 Years before the update that added her? :eek:
Was the version used for Shimmer based on Little Red Riding Hood?

While I'm asking stuff, are the Guide and Steampunker based on Redigit and Cenx?
I'm just asking so Chippy doesn't have to say he doesn't look like that, but is the Clothier based on IRL Chippy? I'm pretty sure he's not and I don't see why some people say that they look like the same guy.

Unrelated, but can you say hi to the Wiki people for when your answers are used a citations for the Trivia sections? :p

The Zoologist was made 4 Years before the update that added her? :eek:

I have to revise that; the oldest prototype of her I can find was dated 2014!

And it was actually quite similar to how she ended up turning out!

Was the version used for Shimmer based on Little Red Riding Hood?

I believe it is partially inspired by Chobinhoods from Secret of Mana, but Crowno might have to confirm that.

While I'm asking stuff, are the Guide and Steampunker based on Redigit and Cenx?
I'm just asking so Chippy doesn't have to say he doesn't look like that, but is the Clothier based on IRL Chippy? I'm pretty sure he's not and I don't see why some people say that they look like the same guy.

The alt Guide is inspired by Redigit, and the alt Steampunker has green hair as a nod to Cenx (though the rest of the outfit was unrelated).

Clothier was not based on IRL Chippy to my knowledge.

The first thing I think of for the Wizard Shimmer Form is Black (or dark, haven't played Mario Sports Mix in years so can't remember) Mage from I think a Final Fantasy game (reason I say "I think" is because I don't actually own a single FF game, but Mario Sports Mix has a few FF characters joining in, and even a slime from Dragon Quest-)

The first thing I think of for the Wizard Shimmer Form is Black (or dark, haven't played Mario Sports Mix in years so can't remember) Mage from I think a Final Fantasy game (reason I say "I think" is because I don't actually own a single FF game, but Mario Sports Mix has a few FF characters joining in, and even a slime from Dragon Quest-)
I'm pretty sure it's referencing Black Mage
1666888298335.png

Though, at this point the thread is turning into a "What are all the Shimmer NPC's referencing to?" :p

I personally think the Shimmered Zoologist looks more like Khris from the Shining Force Genesis game, might just be a coincidence though

Back
Top Bottom