Short Story Short Stories.

Schparks

Secret Tree Lover
The light flickers.

It's the first thing I see whenever I open my eyes. Right in front of me, a screen that streams a never ending flood of content. I consume it mindlessly, silently, without a-

The light flickers.

It's changed to a video that pulls a short laugh from me. I forget what it was as the next series of images plays, filling my mind with an endless stream of noise. It always seems to know what I want to watch. When I'm getting bored. How to pull me in when I start-

The light flickers.

My meal is in my hands. I don't know how. I don't even know what it is I'm eating. What it tastes like. What it's texture is. I do know, however, that the person on the screen is eating something mouth-watering. I feel like I'm eating with her. I'm eating the same things as she is. I remember that-

The light flickers.

I'm pulled into a movie. It's interesting, but not deep. It makes me laugh, sometimes. A smaller screen explains everything as the movie plays. I never have to worry about getting lost or feeling uncomfortable about anything. It's like... like...

The light flickers.

Everything is foggy. I don't know where I am. Who I am. All I know is what I'm doing. Watching this screen and it's content. The only time when I'm not watching is when my eyes inevitably close for a few hours, giving them a small respite.

The light flickers.

But the video is dark. All it shows is a formless, dirty blob just sitting and staring at me. It's pale and looks malnourished. I'm disturbed. I don't like what's in front of me and for the first time, I want to turn away. I notice it moving, though, matching my motions. I realize that the blob is my own reflection. I hate this thing. I want to leave. My legs don't work. I want-

The light flickers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom