Should I go for Expert Mode first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindb

Terrarian
I've played 712 hours of Terraria, so I'm pretty experienced (not Yrimir good, but I'm getting there...). I want to see how Expert Mode changes the game, but I don't know if it's going to be insanely hard.

-Some people say they are going to go normal just to see the new content first in a normal light, and then go Expert, but I probably will spend 200 hours on this next playthrough, get to the end and then think, ugh, I'm not spending 200 more hours just to play through a harder game, so time for a 250 hour Skyrim playthrough. So two characters is out of the question.
-Because of this, I guess it's either choose between making something possibly very hard, or losing out on what could be a very fun and fairly challenging experience.

I'm really stumped, so please help me decide. There is only a day left, after all.

Honestly I was going to jump straight into Expert mode as well, but I decided it may not be the best idea after reading the changelog. In the end it comes up to whether you want to or not.

I will however make an Expert Mode world and play it occasionally on the side of my 1.3 main world.

With 472 hours on my end, I'll head off straight into Expert mode, sucking in as many new mechanics and features as possible at once.

I'm jumping straight into Expert Mode, curious about the treasure bag loot which hopefully isn't just simple things like usables but actual end-game gear(Maybe every boss has it's own unique gear from the bag? That's what I'm hoping for)

Honestly I was going to jump straight into Expert mode as well, but I decided it may not be the best idea after reading the changelog. In the end it comes up to whether you want to or not.

I will however make an Expert Mode world and play it occasionally on the side of my 1.3 main world.

So would you have two separate characters or just one character for each? Either way, that sounds like it might work for me. Would be interesting to have to build two separate houses and NPC homes.

So would you have two separate characters or just one character for each? Either way, that sounds like it might work for me. Would be interesting to have to build two separate houses and NPC homes.

Depends how I feel like I should handle it. I might just use the same character, but I may use two different characters.

Hmm... don't quite know how I'll handle it either. If I prefer one world over the other then the other one would hardly get played and I might as well have not made two worlds in the first place. Also, considering how much I prepare for bosses, it might take me absolute ages just to get to the Eater of Worlds or Skeletron, and I don't have all that much time to spend in the first place. It might just create more problems than its worth.

Expert Mode, having looked over the changelog more thoroughly a second time, does seem to add a lot of interesting things to balance the difficulty like treasure bags. However I do want to know the default difficulty of certain events like the Martian Madn--

Ah, what the hell. I'll just do it.

EDIT: I was thinking, and wouldn't the new bosses/events also be buffed? If so, then I would be better off in Normal Mode where I can enjoy default 1.3. On the other hand... ugh.

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I posted on these forums but hey :). Will definitely be making new character for expert mode, may as well endure and enjoy the torture from the start and slowly evolve, mature into the new content without wrecking the experience of using a pre-built character *famous last words*, I mean the amount of work that has gone into 1.3 deserves to be savoured.

It has been a long time since I posted on these forums but hey :). Will definitely be making new character for expert mode, may as well endure and enjoy the torture from the start and slowly evolve, mature into the new content without wrecking the experience of using a pre-built character *famous last words*, I mean the amount of work that has gone into 1.3 deserves to be savoured.

I was thinking about this some more last night, and I came to the same conclusion as you. It will be a new challenge, as I have played Terraria for ages. I will get more out of the experience if I go Expert.

I'm pretty sure I'll do normal mode first, I think there will be plenty of new stuff to experience already. But if that's not your style, what you might want to do is just try out Expert mode real quick (possibly with an existing character, assuming you can do that) and see how crazy it looks. Then you can make in informed decision as to whether you want to play your first "real" 1.3 game in that mode or not.

I don't really think 'testing out the water' is really the best option. I feel that it would be best to do it all in one. Even if I wanted to try out Expert Mode with a better character, I've already deleted all my worlds and characters. Anyway, I've got quite bored of Prehardmode. It would be nice to have a harder challenge, to have a fresh experience.

If I do a solo playthrough, I'll probably go to Expert first; it'll be good to get used to the new boss mechanics immediately and also it will yield greater rewards. If you've played Binding of Isaac Rebirth, it's kind of like going for Hard Mode on the Lost; most of the normal mode stuff plus the hard mode unlockables are found on it, so you can just do it all to try and unlock everything in one go and there's no risk in losing, really (assuming you're playing Softcore).

I'll do normal first so that I know what is in the 1.3 update, instead of dieing a lot trying to figure it out on expert.
[DOUBLEPOST=1435616222,1435616163][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't really think 'testing out the water' is really the best option. I feel that it would be best to do it all in one. Even if I wanted to try out Expert Mode with a better character, I've already deleted all my worlds and characters. Anyway, I've got quite bored of Prehardmode. It would be nice to have a harder challenge, to have a fresh experience.

The Lost....Hardmode....yea, thats something I don't plan to ever do.

Looks like even slimes have been pumping iron in expert mode and zombies... zomg.... Definite change of pace in this mode, I am actually dreading the eye of cythulu...

Looks like even slimes have been pumping iron in expert mode and zombies... zomg.... Definite change of pace in this mode, I am actually dreading the eye of cythulu...

I've played for about 2 hours, it's 10PM where I am, had to wait the whole day just for it to release. -_- Anyway, yeah, it's pretty hard in the beginning, but I got a spear, golden bow, wooden yo-yo, etc, so right now chilling out with the Merchant, and it's not as hard as it was right in the beginning.
Although, I am actually dreading the Eye of Cthulhu, that rage mode looks like a real :red:-kicker.

Just got a new pair of boots, ,Sailfish boots.. Run super fast and leave a water, sparkly effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom