Should I purchase Terraria on Steam or Gog?

Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask for your idea as to which of the two platforms would be better for me to shop Terraria from. I've been reading that Terraria on Gog used to have some problems with updates, receiving them later than the Steam variant, but that was back in 2015 (and while Gog Galaxy wasn't still fully functioning).

It costs 9,99€ on Steam, 8,69€ on Gog (although the Gog variant comes with the soundtracks, which is a nice bonus that Steam charges 3,99€ for). Is it true that Gog has problems with loading mods, which usually require workarounds, whereas Steam works right off the bat, and also that Steam's multiplayer servers aren't linked to Gog's and thus impossibilitate the opportunity for players on both platforms to play together?

I absolutely want to play with mods, and if Steam is better for that then I'll definitely prefer to get it there. I was just questioning which of the two would be better because, frankly, I prefer Gog's services and staff over to Steam's "tyrannical ruling", and would be happier supporting their platform (as long as my Terraria experience wouldn't be inferior to Steam, that is).

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Personally I prefer Steam, but I understand why people like DRM-free files. While I don't entirely support all of GOG's recent decisions I must admit that Valve screws up as well, so it comes down to personal preference. It's also easier to join multiplayer games through Steam, as a Steam and GOG player would need a dedicated server to crossplay.

I'd say, whichever you prefer. Yeah, GoG is sometimes a little slower than Steam with updates, but we're not talking days here. And let's be honest, it's not exactly raining updates these days. The last update was from April, 2017.

If you're thinking of multi-playing, Steam might be a better choice, since it's very easy to connect to other players/let players connect to you through Steam.
You can easily host a game with the GoG version as well, but there might be some port forwarding required in some cases, which can be a hassle if you don't know anything about setting up your modem/router. You don't need to worry about this if you're not the host.

I've never used mods, so I can't say if the GoG version would have problems with those, but I wouldn't know why it should. The Steam and GoG versions are basically the same: GoG and Steam players can play together.

So yeah, again, whichever you prefer really. I go for GoG when I have the choice.

@Extraterrarian: I wanted to give you a heads-up. Ran into some reddit posts and apparently it is NOT possible to use TMOD Loader mods with the GoG version.
I don't know the exact details, since I don't use mods. Something about the TML GoG patcher being out of date and it's required for mods that use TMOD Loader?
I'm sure someone who does use mods can make sense of this.

So I hope you didn't buy the GoG version yet! :indifferent:

Hiya, I know I'm late, and if you've already made your decision, then I hope this info helps someone else.

I own both GOG and Steam versions. Bought them both fairly recently, too, through a series of laughable incidents. I originally went with GOG based on the comparison research I did over a year and a half ago when I was considering getting the PC version (then I got a Switch and Breath of the Wild and that was that). Like you, I thought GOG was better with the inclusion of the soundtrack. Wanted to get some mods, but then went through some headaches before finding out that support for the GOG version was abandoned just months earlier... (But hey, maybe some kind modder will take up the mantle.)

I just bought the Steam version because it's on sale for 50% off. Through some lazy research it seems the Steam version goes on sale pretty often, like every few months you can get a pretty sweet deal. And of course, you can install mods for this version.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on multiplayer because I prefer playing solo, but it seems to be easier with Steam simply because it seems more people are on it.

I Needed this i just bought a pc (dell optiplex 7010) and i didnt know if steam or gog was better
Steam in my opinion, as mention above it's normally just preference. You're going to want to play the game with mods eventually and steam brings the best to that.

Last edited:
It's a little more complicated than that. If you want to use mods, go with Steam. If you just want a vanilla experience, GOG is better since you can play without having to go through another application. If you want to save money, Steam has more sales on a fairly regular basis.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that you don't have to open GOG Galaxy if you're playing solo (which I prefer to do). I don't like playing multi-player, but Steam seems to be better for that because more people use it, although I believe you can add your Steam friends to GOG. ...Er, you might want to do more research on this point.

Back
Top Bottom